• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill Novels Get TV Anime by MAPPA in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:44 pm Reply with quote
What's interesting here is that they seem to be taking the same approach that was done for Chainsaw Man - as in with MAPPA completely funding the anime by themselves, without a real production comittee.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Wait what, January? Isn't that like in two months only......don't they have like Vinland Saga, AOT and JJK all later next year.....?
NozakiTomoTanakaMukhoda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to share this series with my anime-only friends. This is a fun series that causes many a blurt laugh. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.

Plus, you can't go wrong with Sui, the world's cutest slime.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Is this really the first we've heard of this show? I can't think of a time where the first announcement was a mere two months before the premier. How bizarre.

The fact that MAPPA has another secret show on top of the 100 we know they are animating sure is... something.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
MAPPA keeps killing its animators.
tsog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Is this really the first we've heard of this show? I can't think of a time where the first announcement was a mere two months before the premier. How bizarre.

Engage Kiss comes close, 3 months before airing. It's hard to fight for fans' attention when so many shows come out every season, so maybe they are trying the unconventional for effect.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Is this really the first we've heard of this show? I can't think of a time where the first announcement was a mere two months before the premier. How bizarre

Blue Reflection Ray comes to mind for me, it was announced 2 months before it aired AND it ended up being 2 cours... and the art and animation ended up being extremely ugly
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
They seem hell bent on working their animators to death.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

The fact that MAPPA has another secret show on top of the 100 we know they are animating sure is... something.

Zombieland Saga and Garo were announced a month before airing, both are by MAPPA too. So it's not really a new thing.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga and enjoyed the premise, but the execution is less than ideal. It's very spoiler[directionless with barely anything changing. The characters basically do the same thing every chapter with none of them developing except for the main characters skill leveling up. The status quo at the beginning is the same as the current chapter. A good idea left to die.]
sorvani

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

I read the manga and enjoyed the premise, but the execution is less than ideal. spoiler[It's very directionless with barely anything changing. The characters basically do the same thing every chapter with none of them developing except for the main characters skill leveling up. The status quo at the beginning is the same as the current chapter. A good idea left to die.]

I've read the LN that were released through J-Novel Club. I don't think this is a bad story, but it is a very slow burn on the world building. So I can see your opinion having merit.

Also. spoiler[Would it kill the author to have actually used a campfire a bit more? I mean it is less than once per LN volume that an actual campfire gets used.]
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This in a season with ten other Narou anime debuting?

Well, this one should be popular anyway. I remember it topping the charts back in the day -- it's still #3 on Narou's all-time story ranking after Slime and Mushoku Tensei, six years after it debuted. Posted 230 chapters in its first six months, I see, which probably accounts for much of it. (It's still updating, but with only 41 chapters in the past year. Such is the way of web fiction.)

If anyone's curious, the highest-ranked story that doesn't yet have an anime announced is currently Hell Mode at #6 -- very impressive for a story that started just under three years ago -- followed by Dahlia in Bloom: Crafting a Fresh Start with Magical Tools at #9 and 7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! at #16. The latter of which only started in February 2020, so, props there too.
Adizcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:42 am Reply with quote
This one is a really good and laid-back series and I'm excited for the anime.

I have no idea why Mappa is helming this, especially when they are stretched so thin by Vinland and AOT in Jan. I don't remember this anime having many fights, so I hope Mappa takes it easy on this one. I feel the animators really need a break at this point.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
sorvani wrote:
Also. spoiler[Would it kill the author to have actually used a campfire a bit more? I mean it is less than once per LN volume that an actual campfire gets used.]

spoiler[That's the ENGLISH title, I suspect a more direct translation would be something like a Traveler's Meals (guess based on fan-translated versions of the title and google translate/deepl).]
sorvani

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
spoiler[That's the ENGLISH title, I suspect a more direct translation would be something like a Traveler's Meals (guess based on fan-translated versions of the title and google translate/deepl).]

Spot on, 放浪 [ほうろう (hourou)] is the word used on the Japanese cover. I never looked for the original. Makes a hella lot more sense now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2