• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trigun Stampede Anime's 2nd Trailer Reveals More Cast, Staff, January 2023 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe Milly Thompson has been erased from the timeline and replaced with academy award winning actor Robert De Niro star of the 2016 comedy film Dirty Grandpa and perhaps some other movies presumably.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:01 am Reply with quote
I haven't written this off like some people and think it might still be good

But I'm still lol-ing my head off over here at freaking Robert De Niro. It's so ridiculous I just can't get over it Laughing
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:35 am Reply with quote
I've written a breakdown of the new trailer for the podcast I'll be recording today.

Some things that look interesting:

The trailer opens with Vash talking to someone about Knives, saying that he's in the city of July. Vash is already known as the "Humanoid Typhoon"(according to Normansland Broadcast Magazine, "A periodical for everyone"), which didn't happen until after July in previous versions of the story. This makes me unsure if this is set before or after the July Incident.

The "camera work" as Vash flails through a town getting shot at looks fabulous. It's constant, uninterrupted, frenetic movement. The animators probably worked overtime on this one.

We get a version of Zazie the Beast who looks to be a cross between manga and anime Zazie with inhuman eyes and the worm control thing on the side of her head.

Is that Gray the Ninelives holding up Leonof the Puppetmaster? Or maybe Dr. Conrad from the manga? I really want to know who the little girl he's holding hands with is.

Finally, is Knives using some version of his manga Angel Blades to slice up a giant rock?

Honestly, I'm getting pretty excited to see what's going on in this version.

Trigun Multiverse, here we come!

Watching the trailer again, I saw a wanted poster for Brilliant Dyanmites Neon(had to take a screenshot and turn the brightness and contrast WAY up).

Last edited by trilaan on Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
Welp, I'm out. That was a trailer full of sadness. I'm just going to use my time rewatching the original instead.

Hopefully this adaptation gets more people to pick up the manga at least.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[In one sense, I recall that humanity was cloned or something in the original Trigun, so could these be different versions of the same characters? Cash can live for hundreds of years, right? So it could possibly be prequelish, but Ehh... maybe not, too many inconsistencies and coincidences then. Makes more sense as its own original thing.]

I'm surprised by no Milly. But I also expect her to show up in redesigned form later. Meryl is in, because they want a main female character so she makes the most sense, and also romantic tension. Which is why I believe Milly will show up, with her railgun, because she had significance to Wolfwood's arc. At least in the anime, I don't know of the manga.

I guess I'm warming up to/making peace with the animation style. Better than average, at least fluid and not that hackneyed low FPS style.

Wolfwood no longer having a cigarette does suck. This is essentially indicating to me that this is aimed at younger audiences primarily and with the visual aesthetic is very 'Bubblegum Trigun, which is what I'm calling this.

I do like Roberto De Niro, I chuckled!
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Bright characters with no strong outlines and soft edges against bright background is a really bad stylistic choice. The characters blend into the background. Orange has done better.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
spoiler[In one sense, I recall that humanity was cloned or something in the original Trigun, so could these be different versions of the same characters? Cash can live for hundreds of years, right? So it could possibly be prequelish, but Ehh... maybe not, too many inconsistencies and coincidences then. Makes more sense as its own original thing.]
!

spoiler[In the original plot they were colonizers from Earth going to a nice planet until Knives messed up and they ended in a crappy desert one]
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I really don’t like the visuals. It comes off as watching a video game cutscene and everything is so bright. The characters look abnormal like they don’t fit in the scene.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
spoiler[In the original plot they were colonizers from Earth going to a nice planet until Knives messed up and they ended in a crappy desert one]

Ah thanks, I remember now. It was just Vash and Knives who mysteriously emerged in the plants.

trilaan wrote:
The trailer opens with Vash talking to someone about Knives, saying that he's in the city of July. Vash is already known as the "Humanoid Typhoon"(according to Normansland Broadcast Magazine, "A periodical for everyone"), which didn't happen until after July in previous versions of the story. This makes me unsure if this is set before or after the July Incident.

I'm guessing we're going to jump back and forth between the present and the past a lot. So I Don't expect chronological order per episode. Likely there could be lots of flashbacks too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4