• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga Resumes After Almost 4 Years on October 24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Togashi literally ended YYH the way he did because he simply got tired of drawing it (& even apologized for his "selfishness"), and after YYH's end Togashi has pretty much been allowed to do literally whatever he wanted & is treated like a king for it by Shueisha (the second half of Level E's chapters all got color opening pages, despite only coming out once per month, and of course HxH's numerous hiatuses), so I guess one could say that Shueisha did indeed "learn"... I guess.

You do know that Japanese authors use a lot of self-deprecation and "I am sorry for my selfishness" should not be taken on face value, don't you? It's the same apology Gege Akutami or more recently Ruri Dragon's author have said after talking about their health problems.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I really liked YYH's ending. Most shounen series tend to (greatly) overstay their welcome, and I'm glad YYH avoids that.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
You do know that Japanese authors use a lot of self-deprecation and "I am sorry for my selfishness" should not be taken on face value, don't you? It's the same apology Gege Akutami or more recently Ruri Dragon's author have said after talking about their health problems.

Togashi literally ended YYH while in the middle of its final story arc & didn't even bother to showcase the final fight, instead letting the anime handle that stuff while he went straight to the epilogue. It's not so much "self-deprecation" as it is Togashi showing humility by admitting that he kind of screwed the readers over by not giving them any actual closure to the story arc he had started.

It's not quite the same thing as getting sick or injured, because that's not "selfishness", but rather them just apologizing for not being able to continue a manga like they had been able to. Togashi wasn't ill when he finished YYH, but rather he literally just got tired of making it, similar to what happened when Hiroyuki Takei stopped making Shaman King back in the day, and gave readers the "Princess Hao Ending".

I was just pointing out how "Shueisha forced him to continue making YYH" kind of falls apart when you take the actual ending into consideration, as Togashi was allowed to just stop making it, despite doing so in a really bad place, which he himself admitted to. That's why he called it "selfish", because he knew that he didn't give readers the proper finish they were hoping for; it didn't benefit anyone other than himself (& I guess the anime staff, too). it's not self-deprecating for him to call that "selfish", it's being blunt & honest about the situation, just like how Masami Kurumada put the kanji for "unfinished" at the original cancellation point for Otoko Zaka, or literally put "NEVER END" at the end of Silent Knight Sho's final chapter when it got cancelled.

If Togashi was truly "forced" to continue making YYH, then his editor would have forced him to finish the Demon World Tournament, no questions asked. Instead, he was allowed to just jump to the epilogue & stop making it, on his own terms, which shows just how much clout he had built up with Shueisha already, by that point.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, quoting Wikipedia
Quote:
He wrote in his own dōjinshi Yoshirin de Pon! that he stopped the production on YuYu Hakusho out of selfishness. The author had originally wanted to end the manga in December 1993, at the climax of the Sensui arc. (...) Togashi was under a great deal of personal stress at certain points of the series' run, particularly during its final six months of publication. He claimed that, beginning with the Dark Tournament arc, inconsistent sleep resulting from overwork was causing him health problems. He noted himself as being very ill while working on the color pages for Yusuke's match with Chu.There were also many instances where he would create nearly entire manuscripts by himself, such as Yusuke's meeting with Raizen and the battle between Kurama and Karasu. The editors of the publication tried to make Togashi reconsider cancelling Yu Yu Hakusho, though he justified his decision by stating that it would simply be replaced by another popular series. Togashi was relieved at the conclusion of the manga

There are references to every quote. Surely "personal stress", "very ill" and "health problems" do not sound like "I am bored" to me.
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So he's still continuing with what is basically glorified DLC at this point? Because if we're being honest, spoiler[ this series should have ended when Gon found Ging. That's the literal premise of the story, and we have made it there already. I know Togashi came up with some cheap excuse for why he wants to continue but honestly he should have just written these newer arcs first all the while having Killua & plot device sibling take a longer time to fix Gon, and while that is happening Hisoka battles Chrollo, as well as other shit or something.] there's no main big enough reason to continue reading HxH if you aren't already a fan of Togashi's "uniqueness".
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:05 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
There are references to every quote. Surely "personal stress", "very ill" and "health problems" do not sound like "I am bored" to me.

I never said he got "bored" of it. I said he got "tired" of making it, which can mean everything from mental stress, physical ailments, and even general interest, which itself would be affected by the first two; if you're feeling stressed & aren't feel well, then your interest in continuing something goes down. Again, my main focus was on putting down the "Shueisha forced him to make it" argument that was made earlier, despite Togashi being allowed to end it when he felt like it, despite doing so at a point where he'd be unable to properly finish it. That's the entire point of the term "selfishness": He stopped making YYH because he no longer wanted to continue making it, due to a variety of factors, instead of continuing on & giving the readers what they wanted. That's what he apologized for.

I just simplified it into being "tired", so sorry if that single word set you off. Still, the fact that Togashi has not done the same with Hunter x Hunter shows that he doesn't wish to be "selfish" again, like he was with YYH. If he really wanted, he could have long ago just skipped straight to the epilogue, especially after Gon finally found Jing, & called it a day. But he hasn't, and he seemingly refuses to repeat what he did to YYH with HxH. Some will find that admirable, while others will just wish that he simply be "selfish" again & instead look out for his own health & well being, at this point.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote
Like Game of Thrones was

HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:52 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
granted, you as the reader are not entitled to anything from the author, but isn't it fair to be upset by being held by the balls with hiatuses like this?

Speaking for NANA for example, which went onto a hiatus in 2009 after a cliffhanger. The author is well off since but has just shrugged for the most part.

Counter argument: I consider that the reason HXH it's so good it's because Togashi has a lot of time to properly think the plot.

As such, without the hiatus HXH wouldn't exist to begin with.

Besides Togashi has a decent enough excuse, other writers *cough*kazue*cough* apparently just got bored of the thing and some level of "upset" may be understandable.

I've only been upset by the "hope" he continues to cultivate and the excessive struggling he puts himself through to continue it. I have a parent that similarly is prideful and makes things harder on themselves unnecessarily. My whole issue is that Togashi should've gotten help, before now, to make the process easier since he wants to continue. Before, I felt bad at first, reading his accounts of severe pain, but eventually I was like "This is stupid. If you're not going to get help on HxH, just end it to focus fully on getting better for your family."

Now he's starting to embrace getting people to help him more (I still think he should just focus on the writing, the occasional color page and volume covers, but hey, baby steps). He's a grown man, and can do what he wants, but I'm not going to celebrate a dude killing himself when he's in a position where he doesn't have to. He acts as role model for upcoming and current mangak3a, and he's setting up a poor example that only allows those in charge of the industry to use as a way to pressure people that don't have his clout. The manga industry is trash for how it treats its workers, and don't need to have one of its stars talking about working through debilitating back and nerve pain, and people calling him a warrior for doing it, when he doesn't/shouldn't have to.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:57 am Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
I mean Its great that its coming back, but is it something to be extremly thrilled about? We all know that after these 10 chapters, Hxh will most likely go on another extended hiatus (3-4 years) before it returns again.

What togashi needs to do is give his work to a competent illustrator that knows his art style and have him dictate the way the story goes from his sick bed or what ever, but have an assistant manage the illustrations so things can be completed at a more decent pace.

I have heard that he has hired more staff to help him so maybe he is thinking along these lines which maybe why its returning to a weekly publised magazine, maybe this is happening for the long haul, not just for those 10 chapters. Will see I guess.

It's kind of baffling that Togashi is kept at weekly pace every time he comes back. Hopefully he's looking for an illustrator he can work with on a consistent basis, and the asks for a monthly or bi-monthly schedule. That would give him time to collaborate with his staff better, without feeling pressured.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:
For an adult, seeing a creator like Togashi to return to his craft despite weathering through excruciating pain is inspirational.

I agree with the rest of your post, but watching an artist destroy themselves for their art is anything but inspirational. I wish him the best, but would almost prefer him not finish the series and try to regain his health than to end up dying at his desk. The "tortured artist"(both mentally and physically) is a horrid, toxic stereotype that needs to go.

Exactly. I hate how people romanticize that trope, as if he doesn't have a family that sees him struggling. As if greedy corporate executives do use people like him to pressure others into killing themselves to make them profit. So short-sighted.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:
For an adult, seeing a creator like Togashi to return to his craft despite weathering through excruciating pain is inspirational.

I agree with the rest of your post, but watching an artist destroy themselves for their art is anything but inspirational. I wish him the best, but would almost prefer him not finish the series and try to regain his health than to end up dying at his desk. The "tortured artist"(both mentally and physically) is a horrid, toxic stereotype that needs to go.

It's a matter of pride and legacy. Hunter x Hunter can live far longer than Togashi's lifespan. While I can't pretend to know his rationale, Hunter x Hunter can continue to inspire millions while providing generational wealth for his family. It doesn't matter what profession you're in -- that's a necessity to escape the cycle of poverty.

2-2Distracted wrote:
So he's still continuing with what is basically glorified DLC at this point? Because if we're being honest, spoiler[ this series should have ended when Gon found Ging. That's the literal premise of the story, and we have made it there already. I know Togashi came up with some cheap excuse for why he wants to continue but honestly he should have just written these newer arcs first all the while having Killua & plot device sibling take a longer time to fix Gon, and while that is happening Hisoka battles Chrollo, as well as other shit or something.] there's no main big enough reason to continue reading HxH if you aren't already a fan of Togashi's "uniqueness".

"Glorified DLC"? Silly.

Hunter x Hunter was always the coming-of-age story of its four protagonists, as well as about the world of "Hunters" -- which is really just a proxy for one's "profession." The first pages in the manga make that clear.

spoiler[Gon finding Ging was never the final goal, but you might think that's the case if your memories of the 1999 anime series colored your outlook on the series. It's a plot device to set Gon forth to become a Hunter, and a test. But Gon's dreams are more important and Togashi is currently giving him time to come into his own.]

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Exactly. I hate how people romanticize that trope, as if he doesn't have a family that sees him struggling. As if greedy corporate executives do use people like him to pressure others into killing themselves to make them profit. So short-sighted.

Have you considered how Togashi continuing Hunter x Hunter will help his own family? Sure, execs are making profit -- but at the end of the day, Togashi is doing this of his own free will.
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Hunter x Hunter was always the coming-of-age story of its four protagonists, as well as about the world of "Hunters" -- which is really just a proxy for one's "profession." The first pages in the manga make that clear.

spoiler[Gon finding Ging was never the final goal, but you might think that's the case if your memories of the 1999 anime series colored your outlook on the series. It's a plot device to set Gon forth to become a Hunter, and a test. But Gon's dreams are more important and Togashi is currently giving him time to come into his own.]

"Glorified DLC"? Silly..

How is it silly when that's exactly what it is lol. Hunter X Hunter, as per it's literal described premise, is about the main character and protagonist Gon, who goes on an adventure far and wide as a hunter to look for his father Ging. The first pages literally make this clear more than the rest of what you said, the back of the fricken book makes it even more clear to anyone who would pick it up possibly interested in reading it lol. The cover of volume 1 and chapter 1 have Gon on it, not Gon & Co.

spoiler[ I never said Gon finding Ging was the final goal, I said it's the MAIN goal. I've never even seen the 1999 version, just the 2011 one that ironically ends where it's logically supposed to because Madhouse aren't stupid enough to milk this cash cow like what Togashi is trying to do. Gon's dream was to find his dad, his dad was the one to encourage him to dream bigger and dream more, and yet despite this we won't be seeing Gon for a long-ass time thanks to the current arc and Togashi's hiatuses. I'm only trying to restructure it because that's what should happen.]

It's like if Naruto became Hokage and saved the world 3/4s of the series and the focus now shifts to Sasuke and his travels.... in the main manga
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
2-2Distracted wrote:
How is it silly when that's exactly what it is lol. Hunter X Hunter, as per it's literal described premise, is about the main character and protagonist Gon, who goes on an adventure far and wide as a hunter to look for his father Ging. The first pages literally make this clear more than the rest of what you said, the back of the fricken book makes it even more clear to anyone who would pick it up possibly interested in reading it lol. The cover of volume 1 and chapter 1 have Gon on it, not Gon & Co.

Glad you asked, my friend!

I want to preface by saying I've literally had 17 years to think about the series. I was a fan translator during the Chimera Ant arc and much of the content on the wiki was written by me back in the day. This is not a flex -- I simply want you to understand my frame of reference when speaking about the series.

While I'm sure that these are familiar to you, the initial quotes lines in the very first chapter are as follows:
"Strange beasts and monsters... secret treasure hoards, undiscovered wealth... evil enclaves, uncharted frontiers... 'The Mysterious Unknown': there's magic in such words for those captivated by its spell. They are called 'Hunters.'"

^Doesn't this sound a lot like the current saga in the manga?

2-2Distracted wrote:
spoiler[ I never said Gon finding Ging was the final goal, I said it's the MAIN goal. I've never even seen the 1999 version, just the 2011 one that ironically ends where it's logically supposed to because Madhouse aren't stupid enough to milk this cash cow like what Togashi is trying to do. Gon's dream was to find his dad, his dad was the one to encourage him to dream bigger and dream more, and yet despite this we won't be seeing Gon for a long-ass time thanks to the current arc and Togashi's hiatuses. I'm only trying to restructure it because that's what should happen.]

In the first chapter, Gon's goals and intent are plainly stated: the boy wishes to find his father in order to understand why his profession was more important than raising his son. Most of the series is Gon learning about Hunters and their world, while having a final test to find his dad (as Kite puts it).

Finding his dad was never the end -- the point of Hunter x Hunter is HUNTING FOR YOUR DREAM Wink

Hence Killua's path. And Kurapika's. Ironically enough, the chronically behind Leorio had the clearest sense of direction from the beginning.

2-2Distracted wrote:
It's like if Naruto became Hokage and saved the world 3/4s of the series and the focus now shifts to Sasuke and his travels.... in the main manga

Gon will likely return, hence his appearances in the current saga. Togashi is giving the boy time to grow -- physically and mentally. He's in the midst of understanding what he wants to do in life. Gon might not necessarily be an Archaeologist, Nonprofit Founder, and Game Developer like his father. So what does he want to do?

The four boys are the main characters of Hunter x Hunter -- not just Gon.
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

I want to preface by saying I've literally had 17 years to think about the series. I was a fan translator during the Chimera Ant arc and much of the content on the wiki was written by me back in the day. This is not a flex -- I simply want you to understand my frame of reference when speaking about the series.

While I'm sure that these are familiar to you, the initial quotes lines in the very first chapter are as follows:
"Strange beasts and monsters... secret treasure hoards, undiscovered wealth... evil enclaves, uncharted frontiers... 'The Mysterious Unknown': there's magic in such words for those captivated by its spell. They are called 'Hunters.'"

First and only time I'll be humoring Watsonian lines of reasoning like this, and just say... No? So far the current saga has put more effort into making itself about it's in-universe politics than anything else you described, such as all that Succession DLC crap happening with Kurapika. The only things associated with what was said there is the stuff the Chimera Ant Arc ironically hyped up. But a bigger problem is... you could use this opening line for literally every arc so far so long as stretch it and squeeze it to fit.

Mr. Toto wrote:
In the first chapter, Gon's goals and intent are plainly stated: the boy wishes to find his father in order to understand why his profession was more important than raising his son. Most of the series is Gon learning about Hunters and their world, while having a final test to find his dad (as Kite puts it).

Finding his dad was never the end -- the point of Hunter x Hunter is HUNTING FOR YOUR DREAM Wink

Hence Killua's path. And Kurapika's. Ironically enough, the chronically behind Leorio had the clearest sense of direction from the beginning.

And here go again with this weak kind of reasoning where the MC trying to achieve X is so that they can do Y and/or Z, and show why it's weak here's some examples.

- Naruto's goal is to become Hokage, because to him the point of being Hokage IS TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED AND RESPECTED BY THE VILLAGE THAT HATES HIM AND EVERY CHARACTER IN THE SERIES WANTS TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED FOR WHO THEY ARE Wink

- Luffy's goal is to become Pirate King, because it's one step closer to achieve HIS TRUE DREAMS, ONE OF WHICH IS THE MAN WITH MOST FREEDOM (FUN FACT; DID YOU KNOW PIRATES DESIRE FREEDOM??) AND THE OTHER IS A MYSTERY Wink

- Itadori Yuji's goal is to consume all of Sukuna's fingers, because it gets him closer to achieving HIS TRUE GOAL THAT MANY SORCERERS CAN UNDERSTAND Wink

Etcetera etc. My point is that regardless for WHY the MC has the goal that they have, what was initially described is still their main goal. They can have a thousand reasons for why and won't it matter a damn thing because the premise set their goal in stone. And like I said, I never said that looking for Ging was the end goal, it's the main goal. In the Pokemon Anime, Ash has technically achieved his main goal, it's just the creators are never going to officially come out about it because it makes them a shit load of money. Togashi is no different here, if anything he's just more subtle and deceptive about it.

Mr. Toto wrote:
Gon will likely return, hence his appearances in the current saga. Togashi is giving the boy time to grow -- physically and mentally. He's in the midst of understanding what he wants to do in life. Gon might not necessarily be an Archaeologist, Nonprofit Founder, and Game Developer like his father. So what does he want to do?

Big fricking deal lol. Again, this no different than if Naruto is out of the spotlight for a while, as we follow Sasuke or Sakura or someone else for a bit, and then come back to Naruto once he figures out how he wants to peacefully be ninja president.

Gon is the main character of the series not the others, just like Yusuke was the MC of YYH and just like Prince Baka is the MC of Level E. Just like how Naruto is the MC of NARUTO despite Sasuke having just as much screentime and importance. Just like how Luffy is the main character despite Zoro and Nami having just as much screentime and importance. Just like how Deku is the main character despite Bakugo having had the same amount of screentime.

Togashi isn't exempt from any of this shit just cause decided to make his bigger works follow the 4-man squad trope.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:08 am Reply with quote
2-2Distracted wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

First and only time I'll be humoring Watsonian lines of reasoning like this, and just say... No? So far the current saga has put more effort into making itself about it's in-universe politics than anything else you described, such as all that Succession DLC crap happening with Kurapika. The only things associated with what was said there is the stuff the Chimera Ant Arc ironically hyped up. But a bigger problem is... you could use this opening line for literally every arc so far so long as stretch it and squeeze it to fit.

Well, then I'm sorry to say that you'd be incorrect.

The Succession Contest directly influences what's to come in the Dark Continent arc, but also is intended to further expand upon Kurapika's story. The in-universe politics are clearly important, as the entire premise surrounds an imperialist nation led by megalomaniacs attempting to conquer the mysterious "Dark Continent" to further its powers and resources. This affects the world at large and seems to reference current and historical events in the world.

The larger world and politics of Hunter x Hunter has always been important -- or did you forget that the final arc in the anime was a literal election? Confused

2-2Distracted wrote:
But a bigger problem is... you could use this opening line for literally every arc so far so long as stretch it and squeeze it to fit.

Yes. This is the world of "Hunters." The point of the series. Is that not what I implied?

2-2Distracted wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

And here go again with this weak kind of reasoning where the MC trying to achieve X is so that they can do Y and/or Z, and show why it's weak here's some examples.

- Naruto's goal is to become Hokage, because to him the point of being Hokage IS TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED AND RESPECTED BY THE VILLAGE THAT HATES HIM AND EVERY CHARACTER IN THE SERIES WANTS TO BE ACKNOWLEDGED FOR WHO THEY ARE Wink

- Luffy's goal is to become Pirate King, because it's one step closer to achieve HIS TRUE DREAMS, ONE OF WHICH IS THE MAN WITH MOST FREEDOM (FUN FACT; DID YOU KNOW PIRATES DESIRE FREEDOM??) AND THE OTHER IS A MYSTERY Wink

- Itadori Yuji's goal is to consume all of Sukuna's fingers, because it gets him closer to achieving HIS TRUE GOAL THAT MANY SORCERERS CAN UNDERSTAND Wink

Etcetera etc. My point is that regardless for WHY the MC has the goal that they have, what was initially described is still their main goal. They can have a thousand reasons for why and won't it matter a damn thing because the premise set their goal in stone. And like I said, I never said that looking for Ging was the end goal, it's the main goal. In the Pokemon Anime, Ash has technically achieved his main goal, it's just the creators are never going to officially come out about it because it makes them a shit load of money. Togashi is no different here, if anything he's just more subtle and deceptive about it.

Fascinatingly enough, I think you've missed the greater themes of each of these series when summarizing them. You're close, but let's break it down.

It's important to first recognize that Naruto didn't end once he became the strongest ninja or once he had everyone's respect. Naruto is a story about loneliness, recognition, accomplishment, and brotherhood -- themes central to the overall progression of the story's plot. Hence Naruto's goals and achievements throughout the series.

One Piece is a story about ambition and the nature of freedom: those who possess it, those who restrict it, and those who seek it. Sure, many characters want to find the "One Piece" or become the "Pirate King," but we've since learned that becoming the "Pirate King" is of lesser importance than Luffy's actual dream. It's a moniker made up by their in-world press.

I haven't analyzed Jujutsu Kaisen enough to tie all of its themes together, though I know there are fans who could do a much better job than I. The point of the story isn't Yuji Itadori consuming all of Sukuna's fingers -- I'm guessing it has to do with "death" and "relationships."

And Hunter x Hunter, a coming-of-age story about discovering one's purpose in a cruel world. Aren't the differences between these series and Pokémon apparent to you?

2-2Distracted wrote:
Mr. Toto wrote:

Big fricking deal lol. Again, this no different than if Naruto is out of the spotlight for a while, as we follow Sasuke or Sakura or someone else for a bit, and then come back to Naruto once he figures out how he wants to peacefully be ninja president.

Gon is the main character of the series not the others, just like Yusuke was the MC of YYH and just like Prince Baka is the MC of Level E. Just like how Naruto is the MC of NARUTO despite Sasuke having just as much screentime and importance. Just like how Luffy is the main character despite Zoro and Nami having just as much screentime and importance. Just like how Deku is the main character despite Bakugo having had the same amount of screentime.

Togashi isn't exempt from any of this shit just cause decided to make his bigger works follow the 4-man squad trope.

Reducing everything to "tropes" is a bit simplistic, in my opinion.

Chapter 7, "Respective Reasons," is one of the most important in all of HxH. It outlines the motivations of our four main characters -- but only as far as they're aware.

The four protagonists ultimately are being set up to to find their larger purpose. spoiler[As stated by Ging in Ch. 339, "Something more important than the thing you're hunting could be right there by the side of the road."]

spoiler[Gon's stated goals are to find his father and become a Hunter. This was a challenge to gain Ging's seal of approval as a Hunter, as Kite mentions in the first chapter. But in chapter 345, Gon states that he realized his goal was actually to "find his father" to understand what drove him. Through his conversation with Ging in 338/339, Gon recognizes that he needs to discover his own purpose in life.]

spoiler[Kurapika's stated goals are to "recover his family's eyes and capture the Phantom Troupe." Despite his noble goals of becoming a Blacklist Hunter (essentially law enforcement in their world), he ironically descends into the underworld and shacks up with violent criminals in order to achieve his goals. But Togashi also shows us in chapter 344 how empty and hollow this is leaving Kurapika: he has murdered, threatened, and coaxed many individuals to accomplish what he thinks he wants. But it seems that Kurapika actually wants family, friendship, and adventure (as evidenced by chapter 0).]

spoiler[Killua states that he doesn't have a larger reason for becoming a Hunter: he took the Hunter Exam on whim to escape from his family's control -- as they've groomed him to take over the family business. But Togashi does a good job of showing us that Killua was raised not to know what he truly wanted in life. He initially states in chapter 7 that he has no goals -- but then makes one up in chapter 13 ("capturing his family"). In chapter 36, he states a real desire for the first time: to become friends with Gon. But over the course of the series, we see how unhealthy and codependent their friendship becomes. Killua takes on the role of a protector and becomes self-sacrificial for those he cares about and his larger character arc hasn't been resolved.]

See the similarities between the three? What they say they want is totally different from what will bring them self-actualization. "Finding one's purpose" has always been the larger point of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4