• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Ease Foreign Travel Restrictions Further as Early as September

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:56 am Reply with quote
Yeaaah no thanks, I'll wait when Japan are somewhat comfortable just having a few covid checks or just to be jabbed 2/3 times and you're free to do as you please.

Just grateful I went the first time before all of this covid started...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:43 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
For me, probably the biggest thing that has curtailed any motivation I had to travel was that it seems like just about every person I know, either personally or online, who has gone on a lengthier trip has gotten sick.

Well, good news. You know one person online who has travelled extensively without getting sick.

In early July I went to AX. Had dozens of meetings in a crowded hotel lobby, went to a massive industry party, and spent a bit of time in the convention center.

Did rapid tests regularly at AX, all negative.
Had a PCR test shortly after AX, negative.

A week after AX I went to Japan, spent 3 weeks in Japan. A number of meetings (less than I typically do though), travelled on the crowded subway, went to restaurants and bars a few times.

Regular rapid tests in Japan, all negative.

A week after getting back from Japan I went to Long Beach. 4 Days in Long Beach, 3 meetings, three restaurants (one crowded).

Rapid test when I got home, and again a few days later, both negative.

I'm fully vaccinated (3 boosters, most recent in early May)
I wear a new KN-95 mask every day

I wear the mask indoors at all times, except when eating or drinking. I usually wear the mask during meetings unless the meeting is over food (which is pretty frequent).

In Japan I wore the mask outdoors (peer pressure, I didn't want to be *that* gaijin). While I went to bars & restaurants a few times, I avoided crowded bars and restaurants. I did travel on crowded trains/metro, but everyone was always wearing a mask in those situations.

At the industry party at AX, even though it was an eating/drinking environment, I wore my mask when I wasn't eating/drinking.

At AX I only went into the convention center when I absolutely had to for meetings or panels.

-t
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to Japan for continuing to protect its citizens and ease restrictions thoughtfully and carefully.

Unlike US leaders who violated their own regulations on a regular basis and wondered why they weren’t taken seriously, Japan seems to have talked the talk and continues to walk the walk.

I hope to travel there once they (and I) feel I can do so without spreading something dangerous. Although I do have a mild fear of flying to get over in the meantime, if anyone has any tips for that Anime smile + sweatdrop
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:22 pm Reply with quote
They don't want to cause problems for the Pokemon World Championships next year Razz
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
wing-zero-strike wrote:
Kudos to Japan for continuing to protect its citizens and ease restrictions thoughtfully and carefully.

I mean, really? Do you think that's what is happening here? Really? You do realise in the vast majority countries Japanese citizens are free to come and go as they like as tourists without restrictive and absurd rules, unlike those placed on tourists coming into Japan.

You may also want to check out when covid cases absolutely exploded in Japan. I'll give you a hint; it did not align with when the few, pitiful numbers of tourists started to come back into the country on their highly supervised, incredibly restricted guided tours.

The Japanese government has done an appalling job trying to deal with the virus; the "Go To" travel campaign just spread the virus about, leaving naturalised citizens stranded outside the country unable to come back to Japan, businesses have been decimated despite the pathetic attempts to stop the virus with weak curfews and no real lockdowns and an increase in suicides, especially with young women. And this flies in the face of other first world countries where the suicide rate decreased during the pandemic.

It's just dumb luck that the virus has only hit hard now. It has more to do with a population that doesn't have that large sectors of the population with long term heath conditions and is generally more healthier than other developed nations. It really has bugger all to do with good management because there has been none of that. None of it has been based on science or good management, it's all political and ideological.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2