• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord IV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nojay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="danpmss"]
Key wrote:
...but I'm more referring to Zen's irritating habit of restating things brought up a couple of pages earlier in slightly different ways. It gives the impression that he isn't bothering to check and see if he's already mentioned something before bringing it up again. Maybe this is just something more apparent in audio book form than read form?

It's a problem with light novels which are part of a long and growing series, bringing new readers up to speed on volume nine without necessarily forcing them to read or re-read volumes one through eight and remember every character and event perfectly. It's even worse in web novels where short chapters are published every few days and repetition and restatement of infodumps is common.

An author I know has this problem with a quite successful series of SF/horror books published typically at 18-month intervals. He's come up with a fix, treating the story as the diary of a character told from the first person perspective, with each volume having an introductory chapter that sets out the world-building basics that underpin the story to follow. It works well enough and those reading the series who are familiar with the world-building already can skip over the text somewhat.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

danpmss wrote:
The Overlord book series has a particular meta-narrative that makes its storytelling work so well. The author jumps around chronologically in-between multiple perspectives in such a way that both keep the pacing in check by feeding you information in a particular order while creating a sense of mystery and suspense.

Sa i·m just going to quote this and let it speak for itself .
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dwarven Magic runes, eh? That sounds like a plot hook to me.

Careful with the spoiler there (/wink) Aniz's patented Runecraft™ start up business is a catalyst for the upcoming movie.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode this week. I'm tempted to pull my copy of the novel off the shelf and start reading ahead to see what happens next!

It was interesting to see that Trolls can be just as intelligent as anyone else.

Quote:
One of the strengths of Overlord overall is the breadth of stories it can tell without feeling incongruent in either its tone or lore. So many of the stories on the human side of things are tragedies—like that of Arche and her sisters. On the other hand, when it comes to our cast of monsters, we can have scenes of Albedo cuddling with her Ainz-themed body pillow or Pandora's Actor reveling in his over-the-top theatrics. Yet, both the serious and the silly fit well within the fictional world of Overlord.

It makes sense from the point of view of each side. For the original inhabitants, Nazarick is an overwhelming force that more often than not will only be a negative. For Nazarick, their insane power means they can just enjoy themselves. Truly gods among men. So Nazarick gets more fun stories and everyone else gets the serious stuff.

Quote:
With Albedo and Demiurge off doing their own things, who would even handle negotiations between the Sorcerous Kingdom and the Empire?

Despite his personality, Pandora's Actor stands alongside those two in terms of intelligence. Ainz could always send him in his place to handle it.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the not-so-intelligent Cocytus

That's just mean...Recall Demiurge made a throne for Ainz,but Ainz chose to use Shalltear instead(Cocytus was a bit jealous at how useful she was(as all the NPCs were)).

That got Cocytus to over thinking,and his Ainz(man) crush got the better of him.
(remember his gushing over being a potential uncle))
(( and yes Cocytus practiced being a chair- sorry recall no lizardmen being involved though))
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Great episode with plenty of laughs this week.

I was surprised to see Albedo back at Nazarick, but I guess she can probably teleport there whenever she likes.

Finding the perfect Dwarf in an empty city was a bit too good of a stroke of luck for me. I would have preferred it to go no further than he was able to introduce him to the right people in terms of luck.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the not-so-intelligent Cocytus has been specifically training to be a comfortable seat for Ainz—just in case he ever needed to be punished as Shalltear was.

I saw this as actually a call back to the beginning of the first season when Cocytus was imagining giving Ainz's heir piggy back rides and that he's been practicing for that lol
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, book 11 was sort of a rush job, I kinda expected as much considering they are going for volume 14 in this season. Seems like we are going to finish this arc in 3 episodes. Most of the setup for it was skimmed through all in one go. At least the consistency with the storytelling in this season continues the same I guess, but the content sure suffers from it imo.

Can't really blame on them, considering many little things in this season involved build ups from much earlier (which got omitted altogether a while back). Seems like volume 11 will pass by as the most unsubstantial content we've got in S4. Similar to Season 2 and 3, here we are getting the bones, but hey, the fact at least the execution is far more in line with the book's presentation already makes it not as bad.

That being said however, given that we are already halfway through chapter 5 out of 7 for volume 11, that may mean we will get 6 episodes entirely dedicated to volume 14, which is not only the longest in the series to date, but also one of the most important ones overall.

We are sacrificing volume 11 for the better good (pragmatically, anyway), so I can kinda live with that.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Well, book 11 was sort of a rush job, I kinda expected as much considering they are going for volume 14 in this season. Seems like we are going to finish this arc in 3 episodes. Most of the setup for it was skimmed through all in one go. At least the consistency with the storytelling in this season continues the same I guess, but the content sure suffers from it imo.........

No seems about it,volume 11 will be wrapped up in 3 episodes,too little content left.
My only true complaint over v11 being rushed will be if a certain tie-in to the Holy Kingdom Arc is not moved to episode 13 or at the least (sadly) dropped.

Season 4 has been overall of a higher standard than Season 3.Gives me hope about volume 14's adaptation,and the upcoming movie.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I think that the main reason Ainz is so paranoid and over-protective is due to the fact that he *by himself* maintained his Guild so that his guild-mates would have somewhere to return to, but they never did (not in a permanent sense, anyway). The world where Momanga's player came from is *really* crappy, and the game was his sole escape to which he dedicated *all* of his disposable income towards. This is all in addition to considering the NPCs like his "children" and mementos of his guild-mates. This attitude hasn't faded one bit since they arrived in the new world, and him constantly overreacting to threats is the main result. On one hand, it's sort of humorous, but from a different angle, it's pretty tragic, IMO.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Are you all saying that they are going to skip episode 12 and 13?
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Volume 12 and 13.
And yes, it looks like this season will adapt Vol 14 but skip vols 12 and 13, which are apparently being adapted as a movie. There are multiple scenes from spoiler[the OP] that match the events from V.14.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Season 4 was confirmed to be adapting volumes 10,11 and 14 a bit before release.
The anime has added new lines-characters mentioning the forthcoming invasion etc- to bridge volume 10 directly with volume 14.

The forthcoming movie was officially announced to be adapting The Holy Kingdom Arc months ago - ANN has the perfunctory article on it Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This episode seems like it was set up for failure from the start. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this entire arc was highly abridged from the source material—nor would I be surprised if the creators of the anime decided to rush through it just because of how paint-by-numbers and utterly inconsequential it appears to be in the context of the overall story. It's basically a side quest and nothing more.

The bolded part is oh so true,even for a standard LN adaptation.
I would conjecture the reason volume 11 being so pared down- the anime is skipping volumes 12 & 13 and we're going directly into volume 14.
The events of volume 10 grow into the events of volume 14.But with Volume 11 certain scenes/lines tie directly into the events in volume 12 & 13,so volume 11 got pruned.
(Guessing most of v11's epilogue will appear after episode 13's credits roll,as a tease for the movie.)

((Skipping right to v14 means skipping character development on the part of Ainz. Volume 14...what's about to happen, Ainz knowingly ordered the response))

Random Thoughts:

1: Not in the anime
(Aura trapped the Quagoa in one of the paintings of alternate worlds contained in her World Item,Depiction of Nature and Society)

2: he pissed himself out of mind numbing terror.

5: With all the new,and the further development of old, characters-Six episodes to adapt volume 14,but they'll need thirteen.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The pacing was definitely something this episode. As I watched I was surprised to see how little time had passed, expecting the episode to be nearly over. Usually it's the opposite =/

I don't think the effect of that mist was ever explained in the episode. I'm guessing it wasn't good considering it (presumably) caused Hejinmal to wet himself out of fear. At least that's how I saw it.
I figured it was related to taming, but then it seems like it was used again when facing the Quagoa (unless it was a different, but similar colored gas), though it didn't seem to do anything to them.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
The pacing was definitely something this episode. As I watched I was surprised to see how little time had passed, expecting the episode to be nearly over. Usually it's the opposite =/

I don't think the effect of that mist was ever explained in the episode. I'm guessing it wasn't good considering it (presumably) caused Hejinmal to wet himself out of fear. At least that's how I saw it.
I figured it was related to taming, but then it seems like it was used again when facing the Quagoa (unless it was a different, but similar colored gas), though it didn't seem to do anything to them.

Aura used her World Item to trap the Quagoa in an alternate world.The anime choose to depict this by...surrounding them in mist.

And yes Aura used her 'Breath Composition' to intimidate & tame Hejinmal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7