• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guilty Gear -Strive- Game Launches 2nd Season Pass, 6th DLC Character Bridget

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Longsock wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:
There is no "flawless ending" where Bridget doesn't call herself a woman.

Spoilers: https://youtu.be/9W5ezv_xxOk?t=413

Yeah, that ending still doesn't contradict the normal ending people have claimed is the "bad" one (Bridget deciding to choose her own identity doesn't mean she isn't trans), and by no means does this ending contradict anything in her bio. Transphobic bellyaching is transphobic bellyaching, and this is grasping at straws.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ruriruri wrote:
Wasn't Bridget basically groomed? I'm not sure how it's something to celebrate in this case.

Bridget was forced to present as a cis woman in order to avoid getting killed by superstitious zealots during her childhood. Her parents didn't hide her sex from her, they simply taught her to behave a certain way for her own safety. That is absolutely not the same as being raised to believe you're a certain gender.

In other words, that word you're using that you think makes you sound very clever doesn't at all mean what you think it means.

Quote:
The same thing happened with Yamato where pretty much every Japanese media and source refers to her as a woman but I see English people get angry if you dont call her a man.

This is simply not true in any way of the word. Yamato is consistently referred to as male everywhere within the manga itself, with the exception of a single scene set during his childhood. There is absolutely no indication that Oda considers him to be anything but male.

Yamato being referred to as "Kaido's daughter" by various Japanese media is pretty much the same situation as with Lily from Zombieland Saga, who is frequently misgendered and deadnamed by Japanese media despite the creators having clearly expressed their stance on the matter. It's simply stupid people being stupid people.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer in this case. Its not a case like Yamato or hell, even Testament. Both runs seem to have different messages with people drawing their own conclusions from them, which is a good thing IMO. The only other character I can thing think of that has a remotely similar character is Subaru from Sakura Wars V.

Bridget's just Bridget.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer in this case. Its not a case like Yamato or hell, even Testament. Both runs seem to have different messages with people drawing their own conclusions from them, which is a good thing IMO. The only other character I can thing think of that has a remotely similar character is Subaru from Sakura Wars V.

Bridget's just Bridget.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah, there is a right answer, many are just refusing to see it. The messages are obvious, you can watch all of Bridget's material story (linked earlier in this thread but here it is again https://youtu.be/9W5ezv_xxOk), from start to finish, and there is a clear theme that runs through all of it. It's less than 10 minutes in length, so it's easy to watch, if people are gonna argue alternate interpretations or context might as well have the full context. It's not just not just the scene where she literally says she is a girl correcting her previous statements, it's literally everywhere. Again I feel like the "writers who use subtlety are cowards" meme would fit here but not sure it's strong enough.

But people find ways to be willfully obtuse about it. Case in point some now deleted posts. If certain people are going to engage in blatant bad faith arguing about a video we can all see because one of you yourself linked it in this thread, while also misgendering Bridget while engaging in these bad faith arguments, I'm not going to give you the benefit of doubt that any of this is not intentional, and I suspect neither will the other mods/staff.

And for anyone who is at all trying to engage in good faith, I implore you to just watch the video from start to finish. Watch the whole thing, and take it all together, not just one isolated scene but the story and all it's possibilities as a whole together.

And if you don't find that Bridget's dialogue throughout the entire thing sounds at least a little like a trans person describing her fears of coming out and wanting to live as her authentic self but being unsure, even ignoring when she is *literally* saying she's a girl (a pretty massive thing to ignore), then to be blunt you likely haven't read enough about our lives and our experiences with coming out after a long period to really comment on our portrayal in media and entertainment.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
sammicorn wrote:
deleted bad faith post

This is the first time I'm hearing this. Can you link a few examples?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:09 pm Reply with quote
sammicorn wrote:
Deleted bad faith post

Yeah you can leave the concern trolling at the door. The response to Kelly Ohanian's tweet announcing her voicing Bridget was met predominantly with 1) congratulations and 2) people psyched that Bridget shared a VA with Midori Midorikawa. What you're characterizing as harassment is some people expressing issue with the choice of casting a cis actor to portray a trans character - many of those tweets going out of their way to say they do not blame or fault Ohanian or her acting, but the larger issue of casting not allowing real life trans people to portray trans characters. As for the "subtweet" I'm guessing you mean Allegra Clark's tweet on the subject, where she herself acknowledges she voices a prominent non-binary character while saying there is still systemic improvements that need to be made. And you seem to have left out the part where Ohanian retweeted that tweet and seemingly supports its message.

Also nice job insinuating that Ohanian being excited about Bridget and RTing trans positive messages is her trying to "appease" people. Because just like in the Uchikoshi thread it's apparently impossible for somebody to actually, genuinely express support for LGBTQ people, and must be doing it for ulterior motives.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:16 pm Reply with quote
sammicorn wrote:
Deleted bad faith post

Or I don't know, maybe she's tweeting out things supporting trans people because she supports trans people? I know, I know, someone actually expressing that they care about trans people because they do might seem shocking, but sometimes it's true. Not *everyone* is acting in as bad faith, unlike so many posters in threads like these unfortunately are.

The issue of casting cis actors in trans rolls is definitely a thing that many have strong feelings over, I might give mine later, but fortunately from what I saw most people were congratulating her rather than harassing her, directing annoyance they had towards the industry and industry practices rather than towards her specifically.

Though I did see people pestering her about the idea of Bridget being trans (and her support of that) and making a lot of the same bad faith arguments I've seen in this thread. Like almost identical arguments. Funny that.

And indeed, literally every time a trans person appears in an English release of a Japanese game, tons of people insist it's a lie and a localizer invention, and the localization staff including the actors get harassed, sometimes horrifically.

So it's a bit rich I think to ignore the massive harassment that every trans person and trans ally and simply competent localizer who *doesn't* insert an agenda an accurately translates when a trans person exists gets, and to imply that there's this big mob of trans people scaring people into pretending they care about us instead. Some people just do. Like I said, not everyone is acting in bad faith, and case in point this thread, it's usually be clear who is.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: Up until this point, I hadn't edited or deleted a single post in this thread, except for a minor edit to one of my own posts. It was all other mods. I was honestly confused as to what a certain post complaining about an edit was even about till I saw a post had been re-edited to misgender Bridget.

So let me make something clear. If a mod edits one of your posts, simply adding the offending material back in while accusing the local trans mod of being responsible and biased just because they're trans is a pretty quick way to have posts removed or edited again.

EDIT: And since another post has apparently required me to make this statement let's avoid massive generalizations and aspersions on entire minority groups. If you ever for some reason get the idea that you should earnestly type out something to the affect of "minority group x all looks/sounds/etc alike" then don't, especially if it's to ascribe negative qualities to them. But just don't in general okay.

Also for the record the character of Testament has been stated to be agender and they've been using they/them pronouns in English.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
I must say seeing the dichonomy of JP and NA Twitter right now sure is... interesting. Don't think I've seen such a huge difference between the Japanese and Western comments under the same hashhtag before.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
Talk about a huge success. Immediately after the announcement the game topped the charts in Japan. It really can't be understated how popular the character is in Japan and has been constantly one of the most requested characters since day 1. Congratulations to everyone.

https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/news/220809m

But it's not without some controversy. There's a debate going on surrounding the new outfit.
They're speculating how it was changed because a male dressed up as a nun might be considered offensive to overseas Christians. They did a good job keeping the design with the hoodie, though.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:16 am Reply with quote
Part of the motivation behind having Bridget declare she's a girl (hence trans) feels like doing otherwise (leaving her identity for the fans to speculate) generates the kind of rhetoric that LGBTQ people and allies complain about. With our more gender identity and sexuality informed world (especially in entertainment) fans of Bridget can appreciate her without comments that my inadvertently be interpreted as transphobic. Because now everyone knows she's trans. But you'll still have the haters who won't accept or understand, at least that's easier to identify as ignorant denial.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
There's a debate going on surrounding the new outfit.
They're speculating how it was changed because a male dressed up as a nun might be considered offensive to overseas Christians.

That seems kinda silly, really -- as somebody who grew up in a deeply religious area, I'd expect a boy dressing up as a nun to be perceived as a funny joke; only the absolute most conservative, uptight old men would be offended by it. On the other hand, the very existence of a trans character would be deeply offensive to nearly everybody. (disclaimer: I think it's cool that Bridget is trans, I'm just speaking on behalf of rural Baptist churches in the southern USA)
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Part of the motivation behind having Bridget declare she's a girl (hence trans) feels like doing otherwise (leaving her identity for the fans to speculate) generates the kind of rhetoric that LGBTQ people and allies complain about. With our more gender identity and sexuality informed world (especially in entertainment) fans of Bridget can appreciate her without comments that my inadvertently be interpreted as transphobic. Because now everyone knows she's trans. But you'll still have the haters who won't accept or understand, at least that's easier to identify as ignorant denial.

So it should all just be kept in the closet forever. Gotcha. Confused
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I am reposting the forums rule and highlighting the portions that were blatantly violated in this thread.

Quote:
We've got a completely new set of rules for these forums!

Anime News Network Forum Mission Statement:

Anime News Network is a community brought together by our love of and interest in anime, manga, and video games. All people regardless of their age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability are welcome to come here and enjoy fandom together.

Towards these ends, we do not allow hateful speech that denigrates an individual, or group of individuals based on their identity. This includes, but is not limited to, any speech that suggests that any person or group is in any way inferior due to their age, religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, culture, gender, sexual identity and sexual orientation, and physical and mental ability. We also consider hate speech to include any suggestion the rights of an individual should be limited due to the above mentioned identifiers or that their personhood is in some way unethical.

Our rules already forbid hateful speech, so we would like to remind you that any attack on any age, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual identity or sexual orientation will be immediately dealt with by our moderators.

The Anime News Network forums operate under These Simple Rules:

• Don't be a jerk. Anime News Network's staff and moderators reserve the right to remove anyone from this space that cannot conduct themselves in a respectful, courteous manner.

Posters' contributions should not create an atmosphere that is unwelcome to marginalized peoples. The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion.

• Post relevant, thoughtful responses. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. Engaging in bad faith arguments is not allowed. If you are not interested in what the other party has to say, you are not discussing the topic; you are soap-boxing.

• Moderators have full discretion to enforce the spirit of the rules. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time if they feel it negatively impacts the forum. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
All these arguments being used to claim Bridget isn't trans are the same arguments people used to argue Lily in Zombie Land Saga wasn't trans or that Viktor and Yuuri weren't gay and they just had "promise rings."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3