• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Creator Ken Akamatsu Wins Seat in Japan's House of Councillors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chudmaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Yeah, nothing threatens creative freedom more than (checks notes) women getting equal pay and minorities getting jobs.

When mangaka complain about feminists they don't mean equal pay or anything like that they mean those women activist groups that protest outside Comiket and other anime events, or those who demand the removal of objectional content in anime and manga.

Example: https://kotaku.com/in-tokyo-protest-at-idol-anime-event-1846428328

These groups are also denounced by female mangaka and politicians because they end up harming women in the industry who make this stuff. A lot of female artists draw smut and would be swept up in a ban or regulation of this kind of content.

Interestingly, according to sociology and gender researcher Yuki Takahashi who lectures at Musashi University, young women are turning away from feminism in Japan in general and it's becoming more unpopular in Japan as time goes on.

Last edited by chudmaru on Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
If I were you, I would probably abandon Twitter, that place is going to get even worse now that Musk backed out of the deal

Let’s not pretend that had the deal gone through that would’ve been a good thing when Musk pretty much admitted he wanted the site to become much worse than it was by essentially allowing the same stuff that Twitter currently struggles to combat with the only difference under his ownership being zero consequence.

Hoppy800 wrote:
because the site got exposed for being mostly fake,

Eh? It’s been speculated for years that the site had a number of fake users Musk didn’t reveal anything that wasn’t already known all that really happened as a result of his BS was tanking Twitter’s stock and boosting Tesla’s
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
Quote:
Eh? Massive meltdown? I see literally nobody here doing that. All I see is people voicing their opinions and giving criticism, y'know the things adults do, and others fist pumping in victory against the imaginary enemy they've invented that wants to take all their anime away.

I guess you haven't seen Twitter today. A lot of the usual pro-censorship industry people are upset at this news and passing around an article about why Ken Akamatasu is a bad person. I think the general dislike for this news can be summed up as basically that one Garfield meme of him looking at a sign and asking "I wonder who's that's for?" They know this kind of mindset people have about 'foreign meddling' is specifically talking about them. A common thing I've seen in recent years is activists trying to get international attention on a subject in an attempt to drum up bad PR and force Japan to change from outside pressure by tagging foreign news outlets in things. We saw a lot of it leading up to the Tokyo Olympics. The whole Tawawa thing was just one of the more recent examples.

The post you quoted was specifically responding to a claim that that there was a massive meltdown here, here being this message board, not Twitter or anywhere else so they were right in dismissing that specific claim. I also sure if the person they were responding to meant Twitter they would have actually mentioned it by name.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm literally having a normal discussion with people in here. I didn't even ask Kawahara the question you quoted, I'm just sharing information.

Continue being an unhinged weirdo, man. More power to you and the weird world you live in. You're doing a great job representing your compatriots Rolling Eyes

chudmaru wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Yeah, nothing threatens creative freedom more than (checks notes) women getting equal pay and minorities getting jobs.

When mangaka complain about feminists they don't mean equal pay or anything like that they mean those women activist groups that protest outside Comiket and other anime events, or those who demand the removal of objectional content in anime and manga.

Example: https://kotaku.com/in-tokyo-protest-at-idol-anime-event-1846428328

These groups are also denounced by female mangaka and politicians because they end up harming women in the industry who make this stuff. A lot of female artists draw smut and would be swept up in a ban or regulation of this kind of content.

Interestingly, according to sociology and gender researcher Yuki Takahashi who lectures at Musashi University, young women are turning away from feminism in Japan in general and it's becoming more unpopular in Japan as time goes on.

I wouldn't be surprised. There's a lot of different branches of feminist thought when it comes to these topics. I was talking with some friends just earlier today about how folks losing their shit over private artwork involving Amphibia characters and headcanon shipping doesn't do much except get queer people fired. I've never hidden that I'm a feminist, but I don't agree with that kind of purity politics in art spaces.

I think it's important to remember (there was another post similar to this in the Abe thread) is that things here aren't 1:1 with Japan at all times. Feminism as seen in the U.S. contains multitudes on different topics and the same will be true for Japan. There are obviously Japanese feminist groups that concern themselves with how female characters are depicted in media (like we saw with Tawawa on Monday) and artists might feel threatened by these groups. They aren't necessarily the same as the feminists involved with #KuToo, or workplace harassment, or paternity leave, or other issues outside of artistic expression.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Continue being an unhinged weirdo, man. More power to you and the weird world you live in. You're doing a great job representing your compatriots Rolling Eyes

I do really hate when my absolute freedom of expression compatriots turn themselves into excellent arguments for why maybe not everyone deserves freedom of expression, or the fruit of it.

To illustrate my view: there's a Heinlein quote I've held to for many years: "The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It’s like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak." ....but as the years have passed by, it's become apparent there are a lot of babies....
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:34 pm Reply with quote
LMAOatAL wrote:
Make Japan Great Again!

Uh, that happens to be one of the candidate slogans (Nippon o Mō Ichido Idai na Kuni ni) of the far-right Happiness Realization Party, the political wing of the Happy Science religious movement. It is a nominal rival of the LDP — or it might've been, except it has no national office holders.

https://yuki-oikawa.com/
lazerem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
LMAOatAL wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I sat in on an press round table with him...years ago now where he was asked about his treatment of Asuna directly and, according to what he said at the time. He considered the Mother's Rosario arc a way of making up for it.

I'm gonna bite the bullet here. Seeing ANN_Lynzee (or anyone who works for this "anime" site) seething/coping/malding/morbing/triggered over people who don't share her extreme leftist views, especially the great Ken Akamatsu, is always the single best and most entertaining thing to happen in Anime News Network in any day. I hope Redo of Healer gets a second season, which is very likely to happen. Not to mention it has a sizable female audience.

Congratulations on the win, Ken Akamatsu! Make Japan Great Again!

You do realize not everyone on the left is pro-censorship/anti-sex appeal right?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It became obvious really quickly that having any kind of front-facing position at ANN comes with the bonus of people creating a version of you in their head simply so they can fight and "win" against the amalgamation they created. It's also why engaging in any kind of conversation is "raging/getting triggered/crying/some other extreme emotion here."

I write for a living, you'll know when I'm trying to actually convey some kind of anger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Are you going to leave out the part that you're talking about manji vs swastika? Or the fact that Viz didn't change the original flag in their release and instead inserted an editors note to explain that it's a Buddhist symbol?

Did they? That's great, it always seemed to me that changing another culture's (whole SEA part of continent, I think) ancient religious and cultural symbol just because Westerners can't be bothered to learn the difference between it and another, similar ancient European symbol appropriated once by Western genocidal racists, is kind of, like, super racist?

As for criticism of female depictions in manga, while I can understand being annoyed with the ever-present sexualization, especially of minors, including in shows that don't really need those scenes and they're just jarring (for opposite example, Keijo is fine because boobs matter there):
a) I disagree with trying to censor it,
b) it can get really wrong/creepy sometimes. I remember when some people on Twitter were drawing "corrected" Uzaki-chan to make her body more "realistic" without considering how shitty it is to declare a body type that many women possess as somehow wrong.
JackInMegaMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Can't post about this on twitter because it's a bunch of people complaining his political views, basedbots hooting and hollering because it "owns the lefties" and lolicons celebrating. I feel that his pro creator views are good and fine and his stance on lolicon makes logical sense (I'll leave my opinion on it out) but he runs kinda on a platform of anime being attacked by the "west" which is something that isn't really happening. It's just stirring up culture war BS and it's tiring to hear the same thing ad nauseum. Most Japanese media doesn't give a damn about the west or any one calling for censorship, it's been shown time and time again. Some Netflix anime that Japan isn't going to watch won't change that sentiment.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:30 am Reply with quote
Post and its reply deleted. Be polite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:05 am Reply with quote
Am I surprised that Akamatsu joined a conservative party that has actual nationalists in it? Like a lot of them. Of course not. I have read his work. Lol. That said, you can´t be campaigning for freedom of speech and art and be in such a political party. Another lying politician. Shocker. You need to be at least center-left or a libertarian (lol) if you want to sound believable in your pursuit of self-expression for all.

Japanese politics are very convoluted of course. There are a solid amount of choices on the ballot but centrism is the best one can hope for. Even their biggest "left" party, Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan, is more center than center-left.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Am I surprised that Akamatsu joined a conservative party that has actual nationalists in it? Like a lot of them. Of course not. I have read his work. Lol. That said, you can´t be campaigning for freedom of speech and art and be in such a political party. Another lying politician. Shocker. You need to be at least center-left or a libertarian (lol) if you want to sound believable.
This is me projecting (how we do it in the US is the same as Japan), but with the amount of gridlock you have in different parties disagreeing with each other, some join the opposition party to try to directly confront those who disagree with you or increase the odds a legislative motion you favor will get the needed votes for both parties.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akamatsu secured a seat in the proportional district of the House of Councillors, the upper house of Japan's House of Representatives.

This should read "the upper house of the Diet"; the House of Representatives is the lower house.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:31 am Reply with quote
LMAOatAL wrote:
I'm gonna bite the bullet here. Seeing ANN_Lynzee (or anyone who works for this "anime" site) seething/coping/malding/morbing/triggered over people who don't share her extreme leftist views

^says the person who has been throwing a tantrum all over this thread. Very Happy Says one of the people who are triggered to the point of hysterics, harrassment, review-bombing, and so on every time they see LGBTQ representation or people of color on TV or in a movie.

Also:
LMAOatAL wrote:
extreme leftist views

"Extreme leftist" this is so cute. So thinking reactionary whinging is bad is on the same level as the bolshevik revolution, or what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8