• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Gets 2nd Season in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omegafinal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This is certainly a surprise. Though this would never get a second season. Actually did like it a fair bit. (spoiler[That was a waste of an original villain last season, would've been interesting to see how he would've interfered here.])

As for the CG, I'm actually fine with Netflix/CR's. Legend of Sanctuary is definitely prettier with better graphics, but Netflix/CR's simpler aesthetics look "right".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll still use the same dub cast since as I recall the reboot used the same cast as Sentai's new dub of the original. I have zero interest in this reboot but the one thing I hope is this can lead to the original anime coming back to streaming.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow Crunchyroll finally getting revenge on Netflix for taking Takagi-san S2 haha.
Mewzard wrote:
Worth noting, Viz also put Saint Seiya's manga into their Shonen Jump vault today, as a tie in I assume:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/knights-of-the-zodiac

Holy shit wow that's awesome. I'm not sure if that was planned with this announcement, it's not easy just slapping 28 volumes of content in the digital vault like that at the drop of a hat.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
Worth noting, Viz also put Saint Seiya's manga into their Shonen Jump vault today, as a tie in I assume:

Holy shit wow that's awesome. I'm not sure if that was planned with this announcement, it's not easy just slapping 28 volumes of content in the digital vault like that at the drop of a hat.

There's no doubt that this was intentional. Shueisha does still co-own Viz, so it's more than likely that they told Viz to get Seiya ready for the SJ Vault in advance so that it could be timed with the announcement.

Otherwise, I highly doubt Viz would have ever really bothered to add Seiya to the Vault, since it was never really a notable seller.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Season 1 was terrible in every possible way and everyone hated it, never thought I'd see more. I expect this new season to be just as bad. Definitely planning to watch it and expect it to flop big time. Say what you want about Legend of Sanctuary, but even with its rushed pacing it understood the appeal of the material much better than whatever bs Netflix was trying to sell.

Chris Handsome wrote:
So how sanitized is the 3D Saint Seiya? I expect it to be kid friendly as hell with zero blood and no gruesome violence at all, which is like the whole selling point.

Rather than sanitized, i'd say it was heavily Americanized. In episode 1spoiler[ Aiolia protects Seiya and his sister from a machine gun helicopter. The bronze saints fight war tanks during the climax of part 1. The organization pulling the strings through the whole of the first season is a band of soldiers and mercenaries]
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Let's just hope that, at least for Spanish speakers in the case the second season gets a Spanish dub, Crunchyroll replace Seiya's voice actor with a better one.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:12 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wow Crunchyroll finally getting revenge on Netflix for taking Takagi-san S2 haha.
Mewzard wrote:

They definitely had to have known it was coming, given who owns Viz. At least Viz already had Saint Seiya up digitally in volume form, so it's less effort than putting up a new release from scratch.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I’ll say this much, a Struts cover of Soldier Dream wouldn’t be the worst thing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wonder if they'll still use the same dub cast since as I recall the reboot used the same cast as Sentai's new dub of the original. I have zero interest in this reboot but the one thing I hope is this can lead to the original anime coming back to streaming.

I could see it being like the Log Horizon dub where they get back pretty much most of the Sentai cast.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the last I heard about this it was to people complaining about the gender swapped character. I tend to loath CGI, especially Netflix CGI so I passed on it altogether. I'm surprised it's getting more
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Season 1 was terrible in every possible way and everyone hated it, never thought I'd see more. I expect this new season to be just as bad. Definitely planning to watch it and expect it to flop big time. Say what you want about Legend of Sanctuary, but even with its rushed pacing it understood the appeal of the material much better than whatever bs Netflix was trying to sell.

Chris Handsome wrote:
So how sanitized is the 3D Saint Seiya? I expect it to be kid friendly as hell with zero blood and no gruesome violence at all, which is like the whole selling point.

Rather than sanitized, i'd say it was heavily Americanized. In episode 1spoiler[ Aiolia protects Seiya and his sister from a machine gun helicopter. The bronze saints fight war tanks during the climax of part 1. The organization pulling the strings through the whole of the first season is a band of soldiers and mercenaries]

That is not true, I liked it Very Happy
At least I believe this one has more chance to sail my Seiya x Saori ship.
Thing that Kurumada refuse to do...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
Covid must have broken this production as it doesn´t take 3 years to make 12 TV-grade CG eps once the pipeline is in place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Covid must have broken this production as it doesn´t take 3 years to make 12 TV-grade CG eps once the pipeline is in place.

In addition to this, there was also a management change in 2020 when Kozo Morishita & Shinji Shimizu stepped down from their top executive positions.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Bryson Baugus already confirmed that he's returning as Seiya, so I assume the original cast is back. I think this show was more Toei's thing than Netflix's anyway.

If the original series returns to streaming, hopefully they fix the dub. Beginning with episode 40, they call the Saints "Knights" and the Cloth "Armor" to match the reboot. According to the translator, this was Netflix's meddling, but the ADR director recorded alternate takes with the correct terminology in case it ever gets reissued elsewhere.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think this show was more Toei's thing than Netflix's anyway.

When Morishita announced the show at Comic Con Experience 2016, it was one of three announcements with the other two being an ONA, which turned out to be Saintia Sho, and the live-action movie. He specifically said that this show was to be a TV series but then came 8 months later when it was announced as a Netflix series which makes me wonder if plans changed in those 8 months?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3