• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll's Move Back to In-Person Dub Recording Sparks Union Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:13 pm Reply with quote
RaeRoc wrote:
While it is true that there are still people from outside of Texas in these shows, it seems that those are almost entirely (or maybe entirely) reprisals from previous shows with news show being from the region, so it, for now, appears that they have shut out people entirely for new shows.

Yeah I think this is an important distinction. The only non-local talent I've seen has either been sequel role reprisals, or a from a show that has been outsourced to a different studio and not recorded in-house (Okatron, Sound Cadence, Bang Zoom, etc...). It's not that casting outside of TX has just gone down drastically for in-house dubs, it has essentially vanished outside those two situations. And considering CR is now dubbing the majority of anime coming out - that's such an incredible downgrade from the diverse and unique casts Funi was able to put together during COVID and a massive step backwards for the industry creatively.

I've said this in another article talkback, but SAG right now does not require in-person recording. So many series, AAA video games, etc... (most of which all offer way better wages than anything CR is working on) are still allowing remote recording if its necessary for the performer and their home set-up can maintain quality. Brittany Lauda is one of those TX regulars who has gone on record that she cannot record in-studio due to health/safety concerns, that she effectively will be shut out of this season, and she literally runs her own ADR studio with her husband Matt Shipman (Kocha Sound). They recorded the entirety of Akudama Drive, Kemono Jihen, etc... You're going to tell me what they record in their own studio isn't up to par engineering-wise?

And shutting out even locals who are immunocompromised is flat out terrible, but it's also worth repeating that CR is one of, if not the, only major VO company (ADR or otherwise), that's not allowing remote-recording and it's purely for their own profit and gain. Both directly to make a return on investment for their studio as mentioned before, and indirectly in a multitude of ways. This mandate has completely stifled any wage/union talks and re-erected the wall between TX and non-TX actors, which is certainly in CR's best interests financially since LA actors do often demand higher wages than say, TX newcomers who only get $35-75 per hour without 2-hr minimums + now LA actors won't give TX actors any ideas about asking for more.

Those working on simuldubs already have to tackle limited time and frantic schedules and still make a good product. The more walls there are surrounding casting and director freedom, the worse dubs as a whole will be overall. Period. And tbh, that was one of the few areas Funi had a leg up on compared to a lot of other studios in the last couple years. And their actions have influenced other LA studios to take more chances on non-local/TX actors despite that being very unusual for years. It wasn't nearly to the same level, but it was finally changing. The only people something like this benefits are executives wanting to save money/make more profit. It doesn't benefit directors wanting creative control over their shows (and yes, that includes the show to keep a show mostly local if they want to), it doesn't benefit actors in the long run (yes, even you brand new TX actors who just getting work for the first time), and it certainly doesn't benefit fans of these shows. More open casting should be the easiest things for fans to rally behind if wage and union discussions are too quiet or complicated given the TX industry silence on the matter, but I've unfortunately given up. The past month or so has shown me most viewers really don't care or notice if they even care about dubs at all. They just want dubs on time and a lot of them. And it's depressing as hell.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I agree that SAG contracts should be used for future dubbing for multiple reasons, but did anyone really think they were going to be recording remotely forever? From what I understand, it’s very difficult and expensive compared to doing it all the in the studio, and from what I could tell, several indie studios have already moved back to doing it all in-person (and I don’t think Sentai was ever doing anything remotely. Could be wrong). I think the best compromise is to do what FUNi was starting to do in the past, and utilize a satellite studio in LA for actors out there (though it seemed to mostly be used for reprisals). Chris Sabat’s Okatron 5000 also has an LA satellite studio that seemed to work out well. If the dubs go union, it would make it easier to cast actors from the talent pool out there to find the best of both worlds.

I don't think anyone ever truly expected all-remote to continue being a thing for dubbing, but I do think that most expected remote to continue to be used as an option, especially for those who don't work out of two specific regions (Texas & LA). Instead, outside of likely very specific exceptions for certain reprisals (though there have already been re-castings so that it could be done locally), it looks like Crunchyroll wants to essentially return back to dubbing things all in-house, despite the positive response that remote dubbing has had when it comes to giving tons of new talent a chance to shine, when they otherwise never would have before.

Instead of biting the bullet & having to spend a little extra to accommodate remote dubbing when needed (& they obviously have the experience to continue doing it), Crunchyroll instead is just going to penny pinch as much as possible in order to maximize potential profit & focus almost exclusively on in-house work in Texas. It's essentially telling anyone who finally got a break via remote dubbing "Sorry, you were always expendable, so if you want to actually be valuable then you have to uproot your entire life to where we record from, because 'Status Quo is God'. Otherwise, start your own studio & then you can do it local, too.", and that's just messed up.

It's taking advantage of a bad situation & then going "Thank you for your service; now leave" when you no longer have to rely on the people who benefitted from it.

I can definitely understand remote still being an option for actors with health needs or with disabilities, especially while COVID still lingers, and I can also understand using remote recording to allow out-of-town actors reprise previous roles, but I’m not sure it’s a great idea to just open casting to any voice actor in the world that has a home studio unless maybe you need a very specific accent or dialect. At that point, you may as well just make the entire project remote, which is far from ideal from a production and budget perspective. Sad to say, you have to draw the line at some point. I think having the satellite studio in LA and using SAG contracts while still allowing remote recording under special circumstances would be the best compromise.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed May 18, 2022 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
did anyone really think they were going to be recording remotely forever?

Usually if something is successful, you would want to keep doing it to some capacity. Even if the preference is to record in-person, keeping the possibility of remote recording open benefits both the work force and the employer. Having audio staff and voice talent both working remotely gives a production some level of protection from things like weather or service outages, both of which are particularly relevant to life in Texas.

I agree with all the assessments that Sony/CR is engaged in the sunk cost fallacy, but it may also be that they're trying to simply just exert power over their workforce, something that's harder to do when the workforce isn't centered in a single building.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I’m not sure it’s a great idea to just open casting to any voice actor in the world that has a home studio unless maybe you need a very specific accent or dialect. At that point, you may as well just make the entire project remote, which is far from ideal from a production and budget perspective.

I don't know why you went to the extreme like that. Opening up casting/auditioning to more than just the LA/Texas/NY regions doesn't mean that you're needing the entire project to be remote, it just means that you're opening up the pool of options. If the best option for a role is one that require remote dubbing, then that should mean that they are worth the expense, because they're the best person for the job. However, it doesn't mean that the majority of roles have to be remote, because I doubt that kind of situation will ever happen. The talent in each of the major dubbing regions can continue to get consistent work in their respective regions just fine, so this would just be about keeping the door open for those who DON'T live in those regions, which I imagine are a comparatively smaller number.

Personally, it really just comes down to the simple fact that Crunchyroll didn't even bother to fake any potential interest & say something non-committal, like "We'll keep out options open, and cast someone remotely if they're the best pick for a role", only to almost never actually do that. At least with this route, they would have avoided the instant backlash they're getting now, and it would be extremely hard to prove that they were actively avoiding casting remotely. However, they didn't even bother to do that, instead just admitting that the door is closed for all but the most specific exceptions.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a damn shame. I discovered so many awesome voice actors I wouldn't have found otherwise. :c
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
There's a certain other things also

Ex Funimation higher ups now at crunchyroll have their hands tied with old well known Funimation Texas voice actors

To keep most popular/hard hitting and long running shows to keep under texas voice over only only Crying or Very sad

Where are you getting this information from?

Chris Sabat once owned the old Dallas Funimation inhouse dubbing studio....

The EX Ceo of Funimation Gen Fukunaga knows all of this about Voice casting system at their Texas based studio

Okay, but where did you hear this? Did Sabat or Gen say any of this or are you getting it from another source?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I agree that SAG contracts should be used for future dubbing for multiple reasons, but did anyone really think they were going to be recording remotely forever? From what I understand, it’s very difficult and expensive compared to doing it all the in the studio, and from what I could tell, several indie studios have already moved back to doing it all in-person (and I don’t think Sentai was ever doing anything remotely.
That's not the experience from most voice actors on social media have been outspoken about this who have had mostly a smooth transition to remote recording and most dub voice actors and staff have been very supportive of remote dubbing. If it means dubs come out slightly later, I would rather wait a little longer for dubs to come out than to risk a voice actor's health to insist on in studio dubbing. There are those rare instances where dub actors don't have the right conditions to make the transition to remote dubbing, but by and large dubbing staff have been more than happy to help pay for the technology voice actors need to set up for remote dubbing. It also seems contradictory if Crunchyroll is using this argument that remote dubbing is too expensive to afford while they also completely stripped away the extra revenue they got from free ad supported simulcast streaming.

Quote:
I can definitely understand remote still being an option for actors with health needs or with disabilities, especially while COVID still lingers, and I can also understand using remote recording to allow out-of-town actors reprise previous roles, but I’m not sure it’s a great idea to just open casting to any voice actor in the world that has a home studio unless maybe you need a very specific accent or dialect. At that point, you may as well just make the entire project remote, which is far from ideal from a production and budget perspective
I don't understand why it would be a bad thing to allow anyone around the world to participate. Dragon Goes House Hunting's dub had a global cast of VAs from around the world and it was a really solid dub. They also had Australian VAs in the Sleepy Princess From the Demon Castle dub which was another fantastic dub. It's also remote dubbing that allowed for the original Canadian cast of Inuyasha to return for Yashahime which wouldn't be possible under a studio only recorded dub.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
^ I’m sure it depends on the project, and I know it’s not a total black and white situation. I’m just trying to make sense of this from a general (outside) perspective, and I can see how fully remote recording can be a major drawback when it’s not needed.

I do believe most of the reprisals in Yashahime recorded in a professional studio in Vancouver though, which is pretty different.

Lord Geo wrote:
I don't know why you went to the extreme like that. Opening up casting/auditioning to more than just the LA/Texas/NY regions doesn't mean that you're needing the entire project to be remote, it just means that you're opening up the pool of options. If the best option for a role is one that require remote dubbing, then that should mean that they are worth the expense, because they're the best person for the job. However, it doesn't mean that the majority of roles have to be remote, because I doubt that kind of situation will ever happen. The talent in each of the major dubbing regions can continue to get consistent work in their respective regions just fine, so this would just be about keeping the door open for those who DON'T live in those regions, which I imagine are a comparatively smaller number.

Personally, it really just comes down to the simple fact that Crunchyroll didn't even bother to fake any potential interest & say something non-committal, like "We'll keep out options open, and cast someone remotely if they're the best pick for a role", only to almost never actually do that. At least with this route, they would have avoided the instant backlash they're getting now, and it would be extremely hard to prove that they were actively avoiding casting remotely. However, they didn't even bother to do that, instead just admitting that the door is closed for all but the most specific exceptions.

The Texas and LA talent pools are already very wide and very experienced. With either one of them, especially between the two, you can almost certainly find “the best” voice actor for any role unless you’re looking for something very specific or you need an actor to reprise. From a business perspective, that’s all you need. Why would you look outside of that if you would have to make special accommodations? I’m an actor myself (mostly on-camera though; I haven’t done VO professionally), and I know first hand that if you are unable to do any role for whatever reason, there’s a hundred others available to take your place. It’s just a harsh reality of the business that will always exist. I lost out on a role on a docuseries because it was too difficult for me to travel to Knoxville for filming on the specific dates (for BS reasons, but that’s another story), and while I’m still bummed about it, I had to look at the situation from the producers’ perspective. I know they aren’t exactly the same situation, but my point is that producers need a good reason to make accommodations for any actor. I do sympathize with the actors that can’t come to the studio for medical reasons, and think they should absolutely receive accommodation, but I don’t see why the line needs to be drawn much further, maybe if an actor was well-established, has a quality home studio, and the director knows they can do an excellent job.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed May 18, 2022 4:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't understand why it would be a bad thing to allow anyone around the world to participate. Dragon Goes House Hunting's dub had a global cast of VAs from around the world and it was a really solid dub. They also had Australian VAs in the Sleepy Princess From the Demon Castle dub which was another fantastic dub. It's also remote dubbing that allowed for the original Canadian cast of Inuyasha to return for Yashahime which wouldn't be possible under a studio only recorded dub.

Don't forget dubs for stuff like Gleipnir, Akudama Drive, and even Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories. The last one was recorded entirely from home with the exception of one person, and without remote recording, the dub for Memories may never have even been made to begin with. And I know for a fact people have raved about those three dubs, Akudama Drive in particular. It sucks that CR doesn't seem to want to capitalize on remote recording, because it really opens a lot of opportunities for people who may not be able to drive to a physical studio. Plus, remote recording in and of itself is pretty much the biggest and most successful counterargument to the whole thing of "Ugh, anime dubs always use the same 12 people all the time in everything." At the very least make it an option, don't just flat-out get rid of remote recording entirely.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
There's a certain other things also

Ex Funimation higher ups now at crunchyroll have their hands tied with old well known Funimation Texas voice actors

To keep most popular/hard hitting and long running shows to keep under texas voice over only only Crying or Very sad

Where are you getting this information from?

Chris Sabat once owned the old Dallas Funimation inhouse dubbing studio....

The EX Ceo of Funimation Gen Fukunaga knows all of this about Voice casting system at their Texas based studio

Okay, but where did you hear this? Did Sabat or Gen say any of this or are you getting it from another source?

Think it's pretty clear there's not a source, just their own ramblings.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Instead of biting the bullet & having to spend a little extra to accommodate remote dubbing when needed (& they obviously have the experience to continue doing it), Crunchyroll instead is just going to penny pinch as much as possible in order to maximize potential profit [...].

KitKat1721 wrote:
This mandate has completely stifled any wage/union talks and re-erected the wall between TX and non-TX actors, which is certainly in CR's best interests financially [...].

Both of you make excellent points, and it is indeed all about the money dictating the nature of the status quo.

On the topic of how to change it, though, what really stuck with me about the article was this part here:

Evan Minto wrote:
Maggie Russell-Brown, National Director of Organizing for SAG, put it bluntly: “Employers have the right to hire and make decisions about their business. Workers have the right to either accept that or not.” When those workers collectively refuse to accept non-union work they give SAG the power to get the company on board and negotiate a contract. “That's where the organizing piece comes in,” she said.

I am sure there is solidarity between every person whom Crunchyroll is forcing out and those employees who empathize and are willing to stand with them; if they all banded together and went on strike, perhaps Crunchyroll would be more open to suggestion. That said, I don't think that a strike alone is enough to realize all of their goals. I fear that the only way Crunchyroll can be convinced they need to change their talent-seeking practices is the presence of a legitimately threatening competitor that has its employees' interest in mind (good luck finding one). Such a company needs to be in all the same businesses (licensing, production, streaming, distribution, etc.), does not force its employees to uproot their lives or risk illness/death by working out of the company studio, pays their employees sufficiently and with benefits, does high-quality work, and is somehow supported by consumers like us (which starts by licensing what will be viewed; these shows are no doubt expensive to license).

Such a competitor would require an insane amount of money and would probably not see profit for quite some time, meaning there is little chance of that actually happening.

Stephanie Sheh was spot-on with her remark as there is indeed power to be found in numbers, but the sad truth is that workers going on strike cannot overhaul a multi-million-dollar industry. Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.

C'est la capitalism, the ultimate maintainer of the exploitative status quo.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I know they aren’t exactly the same situation, but my point is that producers need a good reason to make accommodations for any actor. I do sympathize with the actors that can’t come to the studio for medical reasons, and think they should absolutely receive accommodation, but I don’t see why the line needs to be drawn much further, maybe if an actor was well-established, has a quality home studio, and the director knows they can do an excellent job.

The main difference is that the anime industry proved that remote performances are not only plausible for 2+ years, but is actually literally doable, and offers opportunities to people who never had the chance before, and is literally something you can't do with on-camera acting, since on-camera requires you to actually be wherever the filming is.

You say you can relate as an actor, so put yourself into the shoes of the people who never had a chance at VO until this happened. You finally get a chance to audition, and you actually wind up getting a role, despite you not living in the LA/TX/NY regions. You finally prove that you have the talent & can actually deliver, only to now be told "Thanks, but even though we could totally continue consider using you for any potential future roles, we're going to never want to hear from you again, unless you arbitrarily move over to us".

Sure, they can always get other VO jobs in their region for stuff like local TV or radio. But they want to work on anime, and they literally are unable to move their lives over to one of those three specific regions to continue doing that job. Unlike on-camera acting, which is open enough to be able to get work just about anywhere (because you actually have to go to locations to film over there), VO acting (i.e. stuff with actual "roles") has always been super restrictive (because it doesn't require going anywhere other than a studio to do), but for 2+ years it was made much more open & welcoming; literally the entire country was an open field for auditions. People took that opportunity to show what they can do & show that there's more out there than just LA, TX, & NY, but now they've been told "Too bad" by the very people who gave them that opportunity.

Imagine being told that you no longer are allowed to professionally act, AT ALL in anime, simply because of where you live, despite the fact that it's been shown that it doesn't actually matter anymore.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
LightningComet wrote:

Stephanie Sheh was spot-on with her remark as there is indeed power to be found in numbers, but the sad truth is that workers going on strike cannot overhaul a multi-million-dollar industry. Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.

They may as well try anyway. Apathy about this isn't really the best way to go.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
LightningComet wrote:

They may as well try anyway. Apathy about this isn't really the best way to go.

Not only that, but what's really stopping CR from just doing away with dubs all together and just sub everything after a certain point? Dubbing, even using these underhanded tactics isn't all that cheap given you have to pay for the actors who do not only leads, but guest and background bit parts as well.

I honestly feel like after a certain point the Dallas and Austin pools (as they're pretty much interchangeable at this point) will likely realize what's up and band together in solidarity with the LA actors, regardless of the job opportunities. Especially given Funimation's previous efforts to not only recruit actors from the LA region even for smaller projects, but going out of their way to get Bang Zoom, NYAV Post, and even Ocean to do a few dubs for them in their entirety (even before the whole remote recording thing, such as Iron Blooded-Orphans or certain franchises previously dubbed at those studios or in New York or Vancouver). Hell, I'm kind of surprised CR doesn't just half the workload by giving some shows to LA and some to Texas from the get-go.

Call me paranoid or whatever, but I certainly could see Crunchy and Sony just stop dubbing titles completely if the money isn't worth it for them. Wouldn't be the first time either company made a crappy decision after all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funding on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars would need to be available for this corner of the industry to be overhauled, and unless someone with the money of Elon Musk and the heart of a disadvantaged worker wants to get in on the dubbing scene, I don't see it happening with all the ambitions reached and every employee and consumer satisfied.
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens if Disney+ starts getting more heavily into licensing simulcast anime and if they start recruiting LA dub actors and Disney definitely has a lot more money and streaming numbers than Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6