• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Scarlet, Violet Games to Launch on Switch Globally in Late 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Correction for the article, Pokemon Legends Arceus was the last main series game..

The article wrote:

The last brand-new main entries in the franchise were Pokémon Sword and Shield, which launched on Switch in November 15, 2019.

Emphasis added, as opposed to a prequel or DLC.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
It feels way too soon after Arceus. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

The fire starter seems to be breaking the Chinese Zodiac theme, though,

Some people refuse to give up on the zodiac thing and believe the croc will become a snake (serpent/forbidden fruit theme)

To be fair though, Charmander didn't really have a start as a dragon and if anything they could just explore a dragon again, lol.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The Starter Pokémon designs are very well designed, I think I like them better than the ones from Sword & Shield, and if I had to choose I'll go with Quaxly.
It is interesting that the region is inspired by Spain, I imagined Game Freak would choose Italy or Greece as inspiration for another European-based region. Speaking of Spain, earlier this year many Pokémon players from Latin America had been requesting Game Freak and Nintendo to implement a Neutral Spanish localization for the Pokémon games since the default Spanish translation is in the European Spanish dialect and, while understandable, it contains a lot of vocabulary and phrases that are hard to comprehend for Spanish-speakers outside from Spain, not to mention that some words and phrases in European Spanish had a total different, and sometimes offensive, meaning in most of Spanish-speaking America. It's weird that TPCI still uses the European Spanish localization for both regions, almost every company these days uses two different Spanish translations, even Nintendo dubbed Breath of the Wild into Neutral Spanish and European Spanish.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
This has the potential to be a very sloppy rush job if it releases this soon after Legends: Arceus. But I'm still going to be optimistic. Hopefully there won't be anything dumb like a flying mouse cursor in the credits scene.

That’s your bar? not having things like limited or recycled animations or a an inconsistent frame rate?

When did I say it was my bar? It was more like a joke based off of an infamous development oversight in Sword and Shield.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel like SV was the base game the engine and open world was made for and they made Arceus alongside it, like a sandbox at full price of another game. So many of the assets of Arceus will likely be found in SV, and many of Arceus' unique assets are either visual or just plain padding to extend the life of a game that centers on one core mechanic (catching pokemon) taken from SV's development. Almost like Arceus was made to capitalize on an expensive(?) new development for the franchise. I'll even consider the possibility that SwSh's wild areas were GF's prototype for this.

But just like Arceus, the world looks really bland and ugly with GF's weird glow, lighting, and texture. I'm not the type of person to yell about trees, but it's not exactly fun to run around a world that hurts my eyes like in Arceus, or messes with my vision like the weird glows in SM and SwSh. And that release date is just... oof, too soon. I wish they were on the old 4-year cycle still. 4 year generations feels fair. 3 years is just a bit too soon.

All this said, cautious optimism is the key. Arceus isn't my cup of tea, but it made clear mechanical and visual improvements that this new game will benefit from, and a lot of people love the game. I sincerely hope there's more than just better looking and feeling core mechanics. If nothing else, people really like when the extra features are challenging and fun, not just tacked on.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
The article wrote:

The last brand-new main entries in the franchise were Pokémon Sword and Shield, which launched on Switch in November 15, 2019.

Emphasis added, as opposed to a prequel or DLC.

Seems there's a lot of disagreement over whether Arceus is a "main-series" game. It has only a handful of new Pokemon and no new starters (though their final evolutions have new forms), and the gameplay and battle mechanics are dramatically different from previous games. On the other hand, it's not a remake and contains a new region with a new story; it's a prequel in the same sense as Skyward Sword, and nobody would say that's not a main-series Zelda game (I put BotW here before because I keep mixing the two up... Pokemon's timeline is even harder to follow).

Scarlet/Violet is undoubtedly main-series, and sure looks like it's taking some inspiration from Arceus. (Seeing the surprise trailer in the Presents episode made me think it was a sequel to that game; though, since it isn't, I'm guessing the battling will be more "normal" at the very least.) So... maybe it's just not a meaningful question anymore.

Also, they really stretched that one minute of ingame footage to over 3 minutes for the trailer... though I guess that's pretty typical for this sort of thing.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly didn't expect a Gen 9 reveal today. I figured they'd try and ride more on Arceus for a bit, bringing out DLC or something for it. We did get a nice update for it, which is fun for me since I'm still working through a lot of the post-game content and dex completion, but I almost expected something more. But I'm not sure how much more they could place into the game that would fit the Sinnoh lore, so perhaps that might not be something they're interested in. Glad that we did get the Shaymin event in BDSP, but would be nice to get the Darkrai event too.

I'm cautiously optimistic for SV. It does seem like it'd be a bit rushed, but likely they're going to be modifying assets from both SwSh and Arceus, which I'm kinda okay with. I'd love for future gens to have aspects of Arceus, such as being able to just throw a ball and sneakily capture a Pokemon versus always engaging in a battle or Pokemon being able to chase and attack you and you have to dodge and strategize. I really enjoy the challenge of elements like that, despite the amount of times I've cursed trying to run away from an Alpha. I'm also curious what "gimmick", for lack of a better word, these games will have. Wouldn't mind a return of the strong/agile style moves, as that's another challenge I've enjoyed. But I will appreciate the return of standard Pokemon trainer battling and gym challenges, though.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don’t know why Sword and Shield gets so much flack, it was one of the best gens in a long while. I’m looking forward to this next gen, too.
Ever played gold and silver? Or Heartgold soulsilver? Then we talk.

Current pokemon games are way to easy it's not even funny. Introduce difficult settings please....
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Current pokemon games are way to easy it's not even funny. Introduce difficult settings please....

The examples you listed aren't even difficult pokemon games. The johto games are infamous for their bad leveling curves, something the remakes didn't fix and are a common criticism of what are otherwise the best remakes in the franchise. Grindy=/=Challenging.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I don’t know why Sword and Shield gets so much flack, it was one of the best gens in a long while. I’m looking forward to this next gen, too.

Ah yes, the very hard games that were also designed for and beaten repeatedly by elementary schoolers. It's perfectly fine to admit you're older and that you might want something different, but pretending your nostalgia makes the game design any different than it's always been ain't a good point. Pokemon has always made each game as if it were someone's first, and it's honestly sad to see so many grown adults get upset that it isn't focused on them instead.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

To be fair, Gold & Silver and their remakes are my favorite gen.

But I still like Sword and Shield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Yes, I agree with this. The last Pokemon games I really enjoyed before SwSh was ORAS and, if you stop counting remakes, then the original BW. I enjoyed aspects of both XY and Sun&Moon, but the stuff I didn't enjoy ultimately sort of outweighed the good. SwSh meanwhile was a blast for me to play all the way through, so I'm actually hoping they continue in this vein.

I'm a sucker for anything Pokemon though, so I'll probably get this entry no matter how it turns out. :T
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2