• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetaSoshi9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:33 am Reply with quote
I believe the reasoning Akebi is so enamored with sailor fuku is due to her admiration for an idol who also wore such a uniform. Akebi's first words in the show are of admiration towards her and her desire to be like said idol. This episode goes through her steps towards a form of idol-hood and also embodying the confidence she desires.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
At the climax of episode one of Tokyo 24th Ward, Wasn't the problem that Kasumi's foot (not just Daisy's leash) had gotten stuck underneath a rail? And yet Shu, who was literally running faster than a high speed train, was able to snatch her out of harm's way in the blink of an eye? Did I miss something? And what was with that bit where Shu seems to emerge from some sort of virtual reality into a cylindrical room--yet the conclusions he has drawn during his hectic experience remain unchanged? I don't get it.
Spider3PO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:06 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
At the climax of episode one of Tokyo 24th Ward, Wasn't the problem that Kasumi's foot (not just Daisy's leash) had gotten stuck underneath a rail? And yet Shu, who was literally running faster than a high speed train, was able to snatch her out of harm's way in the blink of an eye? Did I miss something? And what was with that bit where Shu seems to emerge from some sort of virtual reality into a cylindrical room--yet the conclusions he has drawn during his hectic experience remain unchanged? I don't get it.

Yeah, I initially thought he was outrunning a 200mph train. But then I realized that train had been braking for sometime, so maybe it was closer to 30-70mph by the time he got there. Shu also seems to have super speed, strength, and agility (implied and demonstrated to a degree before he reaches the train), so it's unknown how fast he can actually move. At least as long as his pupils look weird, his powers exist. I believe that's how he was able to save the girl and the dog. Although perhaps the execution could have used some work. As yanking someone's leg out from under a rail seems iffy.

As for waking up in a cylindrical room, I don't recall that happening. You mean area in the scenes at the beginning and end? I thought that was the room where the deceased girl dwells. Maybe as an uploaded AI or something else incorporated in the machinery there? I don't know, maybe I'll rewatch the beginning and end later. To see if that theory is possible.
MCAL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Sasaki and Miyano:
As a fan of the manga, this was probably my most anticipated anime of the season and it didn't disappoint. The anime team made a good decision to adapt the first four chapters into the first episode as they're both the weaker chapters of the series and the beginning and the end of the first and fourth chapter made for a good episode all on its own. And while the production was mostly conservative, the moment where Sasaki notices Miyano came to see if he was alright was nice at least. Also, the moment where Miyano moves his backpack around was a nice piece of foreshadowing there.

Also, I know there will be some people a little turned off by Sasaki being a little touchy feely with Miyano there, but something about that should come up next episode, so I shall refrain from commenting for now.

Also the ending was cute.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags removed, as they're not necessary here. - Key]
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

I'm a reader of Sono Bisque Doll (My Dress Up Darling) manga so I hope I can remove some of your doubts about this anime.
If the anime follows the manga:
First, the audience it cater is Seinen (young adult), so you can get developments more interesting than the usual Shonen rom/com romance fantasy. This is more a hobby related manga that caters to a older audience. There are some ecchi moments but they are rare and not too intrusive

And the romance part is not the main part. Yes there are some romance but the main part of the plot is about their cosplay hobby. How they make the costumes, how cosplay events work, how the pictures are made, how cosplay photo-sessions works and also the relationship with other cosplayers.
And you will meet many cosplayers including crossplayers (males that dress as female characters and females the dress as male characters) and how they can make that so realistic. I know cosplayers that sometimes also make crossplay and they loved how that was so realistic in the manga.
There also the element of Wakana growth and how he faces his trauma.

So what you have is Sono Bisque Doll is more a hobby anime about an hobby that sometimes are not understood by the society with some romantic elements.

If you like cosplay and want to know more about it you will love this anime.

Thank you that clears many things up. I like seeing other people cosplay but I am not necessarily interested in seeing the process behind it. Maybe I'll watch a couple of more episodes until it kicks off to see how it goes about it.

Sasaki to Miyano: If I wanted to describe it, I'd say cute but uneventful but I'll take my BL dose without much complaint thank you.

In other news... did anybody see the latest Attack on Titan episode? Did anybody hear the new Opening? Because I am totally CALM about it! I believe I have finally reached a higher state of mind, call it Nirvana if you'd wish, where I am at my absolute CALMEST and DEFINITELY not head banging in my living room for the past half hour!

(Yes when I say Nirvana of course I mean the band, I mean.... *heavy breathing* / *internal screaming*)
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Requiem of the Rose King - Well, that sure is a different animation style. Works ok, I think.

Don't know how Joan of Arc fans are going to feel about her showing up, and saying spoiler["I'm like you."] I guess she's a ghost, or something. Does fit in with lots of other scenes set in woods with spooky stuff and spooky voices, mostly tormenting folks, and having not-coincidental meetings of important characters out yonder.

I think we can say Richard is (gender issue opinion) spoiler[physically bi-sexual.] Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read the manga. And has issues, which is reasonable, given the times. He does have a very supportive father, and supports and influences his father in turn, which was going well at the end of the ep. We'll see how long things last.

Very interesting so far. I'm not objecting to anything in it.

An aside: they make a point of putting based on the work of William Shakespeare in the credits, but I don't think ol' William did it quite this a-way. Really no need to put his name in if the creatives are going to take this pretty far afield. No harm done, but seems a bit pretentious, to me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

I think we can say Richard is (gender issue opinion) spoiler[physically bi-sexual.] Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read the manga.

spoiler[You are correct - Richard is intersex.]

The manga's a little closer to Shakespeare, and Joan of Arc as a "witch" (or at least as a villainous character) is definitely in the realm of English works from his time. I was sort of hoping for Elizabethan subtitles, but I did realize that that probably was a long shot. Smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Realist S2: More of the same, so that's very good indeed =)

Kuroitsu: This was fun, but I'm not sure it will hold up for a full season, so I'll have to see how the next two episodes are. Each prefecture (seemingly) having their own own evil organization and tokusatsu hero was amusing (based off of real acts apparently) and the gender swapped wolf girl could be interesting if used well too.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sasaki and Miyano was really sweet. I’ll definitely keep watching it.

My heart is pounding; I want Crunchyroll to tell me if they’ve got the new Pretty Cure so badly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:
P.S. What did Star Blazers do (I only saw the first episode before switching to Uchū Senkan Yamato with English subtitles, but understand other than dubbing and some minor cuts the two are the same)?

I’m guessing that you’re reacting to their screen name? I’m going to go out on limb and guess that their name is probably meant to be tongue-in-cheek to mean that they blame Star Blazers for them becoming an anime fan.

Yep Very Happy
I used to rush home after school to watch the show when it originally aired on TV way back in the late 70s/early 80s.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

My heart is pounding; I want Crunchyroll to tell me if they’ve got the new Pretty Cure so badly.

I'm right there with you. I was able to contain my excitement before we got a visual. Very Happy
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
For the record, both Akebi's Sailor Uniform and My Dress-up Darling are available on Crunchyroll as well as Funimation.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sasaki and Miyano is cute so far. Voiced reading definitely helping with some of the sketchier dialogue. Sasaki continues to be a superhero in any medium (I think he honestly just didn't know boys can like boys, the big doof), and Miyano is surprisingly tolerable and almost manages to reach "cute" by the end of the episode. (Hopefully his anime version won't spend too many episodes spoiler[trying to fix himself]).

Requiem for the Rose King. Okay, where have you been all my life? (Festering on my "I'll get around to it" manga backlog, apparently.) Might have been too much work to subtitle it in iambic pentameter, but visually it is definitely what I wanted from a Wars of the Roses anime.

Orient. I expect to spend way too much time in the future pondering exactly how Musashi's pants stay up without an obi, but I will never not be a sucker for heart-on-sleeve big shounen feelings with a side of "yes the artist is a woman" fanservice-y character designs. Also, what the hell, is Yuma Uchida and Soma Saito as dual leads even allowed? That's just cheating.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:34 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

I watched it on my phone, but I've had that with the two other shows I've tried to watch on Funimation via my Roku. Had to switch to my laptop, which makes it way harder to concentrate.
I tried the Switch app on my Switch and the subtitles so far work a lot better than the Roku app but they really need to work on fixing their Roku app. I contacted their help service about it.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So is the implication in Akebi's Sailor Uniform supposed to be that the idol Komichi seems to revere is her mother? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Not surprised by initial reviewer reactions to that one, as I also felt there was a more fetishy/fan service-y aspect than I was expecting for that kind of series.

The idol is named Miki, she sings and performs (as seen at the beginning of the first episode) as well as making CMs (Commercial Messages on TV). Akebi-chan is a big fan and enamoured by Miki's sailor uniform hence her sudden obsession about getting into her Mom's old school. The picture of three girls together at graduation has her 15-year-old Mom in the centre.

As for the fetish-thing, feet isn't what the manga focussed on (and part of the reason I stopped scanlating it). Basically Cloverworks has tamed down the mangaka's obsession with certain other body parts of adolescent girls. The mangaka, Hiro started off as an eromangaka and it leaks through sometimes. Assuming they stay with the manga's general line there will be some scenes which might well make you feel uncomfortable if you think the scenes with Erika in the classroom clipping her nails were somehow pervy.

This stuff isn't front and centre and it's nowhere as crude as oppai and pantyflash and nosebleeds. There is zero male gaze since there is only one male character, Akebi's father in the entire story. Any hint of girl's school yuri also seems to be absent, replaced by deep meaningful friendships.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19