• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Part

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
Geese was the best bro we never knew we had until he was gone. Not only was he there to give Paul a thorough reality check and tell him what he needed to hear, but he's been trying to find Paul's family on the sly the whole time and set this all up. It's like a wholesome long con.

I think this is probably the first time Rudy's really honestly looked at and recognized Paul, let alone accepted him as his father. While it was Rudy's adult self that let him say they could just do a "do-over" and hug it out, Rudy getting emotional alongside Paul said a lot about how much it meant to him to reconcile with his dad.

Eris is still Eris. I loved her standing up for Rudy against Paul and Ruijerd having to drag her out...and that she was so feisty he had to give her a black eye to get her to stop. She's acting really mature about what she expects to find back home, but I'm not sure if she's fully prepared for the true weight of everything she's lost.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was fighting back tears this entire episode realizing how things were coming together. Then spoiler[the hug happened] and I was done. Anime cry What a great episode, entirely unexpected. I hope we continue to have episodes like this one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Around the time they finished their talk and got everything pretty much resolved, I literally held my hands up in prayer saying, "Please, please, please, pleeeeaze do not wreck this with some stupid fan service or Pervy Rudy joke." And they didn't! So full marks from me for the first time in this series. I know it won't last, probably even through the next episode, and I can deal, but so refreshing while it does. Smile

I really appreciated them going back to see what Paul had been through, and they totally nailed it, driving home the desolation and despair both internal and in the external environment. Things wear you down, eroding the will of even the strongest when they just won't let up. And Paul wasn't exactly the epitome of strength of character in the first place. While I think he expected too much from Rudy, his reaction was entirely human, especially considering how close to the edge he was already treading. Rudy's happy game face was just the push to send him over. Geese's counsel was that hand that always reaches out at the last second to pull him back. Smile

One thing I thought was funny last episode was how he totally glossed over the fact that Rudy had successfully enlisted a Superd to his party, given their reputation as terrifying, unpredictable, uncontrollable murder machines. Like, "Yeah, while you were out taming Cthulhu, I was looking for your mother!"
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:15 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm not good at blubbering, but the blubbering was embarassing. The music was setting up that scene and I thought I was ready for it. Nope. When I see a grown man cry, this grown man cries. And I'm going to say this until I'm proven wrong, Eris is the best girl, getting a shiner for her man/boyo. That girl....sigh... This anime continues to be my fav for 2021.
baianojack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Picky33 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the dude they rescued from the animal village that went on a journey with them to the city they just arrived at (I'm great with names) may have known the entire time about Paul trying to contact Rudy and the enslavement and the people of the village because in the beginning of the episode right as they were departing he mentioned that he should stop by the Adventures Guild, I had assumed we were going to learn something about the man or some setup for the next story but when Paul reveled he'd been leaving messages at the Adventure Guilds in a couple of the port cities, I felt like the dudes message about visiting the adventure guild was intentional.

I was also surprised by the quick family reunion and I can't wait to see how it unfolds in the next episode.

on another note I thought Paul looked younger instead of older, I also can't wait to see how Paul reacts to his son beating him a triple S class warrior.

I keep forgetting about that. Yeah, Geese is rather shady, his actions were definitely Calculated so it's weird that he didn't just tell Rudeus the truth of what happened, that would have saved a lot of trouble.

There is a very spoileriffic reason that Geese didn’t tell Rudy and yes he absolutely did know about what happened, evidenced by his talk with Paul. This doesn’t get cleared up until waaaaayyyy later in the story and given how big this story is, I don’t see the anime getting even close to where this comes out. I expect this season to end with a little bit after they make it back to Fittoa. Though they might go for the end of season cliffhanger which to would suck.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
a small post but I love how the anime has been adding some low key foreshadowing. a line there, some character expressions here. this episode had ln 12 and redundancy bits added, for example.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
i don't know what the bartender gave Rudy and his Father but that man deserves a pat on the back.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

So even Rudy managed to get a bit seasick this time around. Ruijerd on the other hand, he's just reading his map and couldn't care less, heh. Probably one of those people who never get motion sickness, or perhaps just a trait of his demon race. And as usual Eris is completely out.

That was a touching reunion with Roxy and her family. And she finally found out about Rudy & Co. Not that makes her fear the Superd any less... The depiction of outsiderness she felt because of her lacking ability came out in my mind much better in the anime than in the novel, and it was what caused her to leave the village in the first place. I must say, their timeframes for departings and reunions must seem a bit messed up to normal humans. And of course she'll honor her promise(spoiler[by the time of the planned revisit she'll be married to Rudy and have two daughters with him, and while the English translation of the novels isn't so far along yet, I must assume it happens at some point, even if left unwritten. Too bad for her father heh.)].
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

An entire episode dedicated to sensei Roxy-sama?

Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
Two emotional episodes back to back is kinda cheating.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
text

regarding the spoiler, its one not two ( at that point of time), more.importantly, because the light novel, manga and webnovel are qt different points, its normally advised to mark where your spoilers come from, like, if someone is reading the ln your spoiler is ahead of them ( thankfully its not very impactful for them) and it spoils things for manga readers... well except for roxy spin off manga readers because that one manga does it's own thing.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 did a better job portraying Roxy's condition as a challenge than I have seen in other shows. For example, in Star Trek The Next Generation, Dianna Troi loses her empath ability, but the way the show portrayed it, came across laughable and unconvincing.

Here at least we see how not having telepathy in such an isolated village would be akin to a hearing loss or language barrier. The mother learning how to speak in the demon language along side her daughter Roxy, is a good reminder that often when a child is born with a disability, the parents learn alongside their children.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
So we got two family reunions/emotional reconcillations back-to-back.

This is the kind of show where one-off characters who are a bother or inconsequential to our protagonists can turn out to be old comrades to another main character and have their own family life and story to them outside of what the protagonists deal with.

I guess it's no surprise Roxy never came home when she feels so ostracized from her own people because she's the only one who can't use telepathy, so she can't communicate or understand anyone else. And she feels like a burden to her family because of all they had to do to accommodate Roxy's disability, which I've seen compared to parents of a deaf child. But it never made Roxy's parents love her any less, and they cherished her the whole time, which she realizes now.

So Elinalise likes it when people watch, which explains a lot. I'm assuming she's probably done it in broad daylight at some point. And rather than growing numb to it, Roxy just keeps blasting them whenever she catches them in the act.

I'm glad Roxy's trip back home ended so well for her and her family and she finally discovered what happened to Rudy, and that Ruijerd's not a bad guy. And now she's journeying with her party to find the rest of the family, and maybe that's where she and Rudy will reunite.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
The thing that surprised me most about this series was the pace. when i found out its been two years since Rudy was in Roxy's village, i was super surprised. i assumed it had been maybe 6 months to a year.

The other thing that surprised me was the scene in the beginning where everyone was trying to spar with the Superd, I thought O it time skipped ahead to them arriving but the next scene was him leaving the village where he met his father and on the boat back to his home country. i appreciate the comic relief, but it kind of confused me why it was there.

I also need to rewatch the episode when Rudy was in the village. i thought there were more people who could talk (non-telepathically)

I guess we could call this 2 break through episodes in a row, Rudy with his father and Roxy with her parents
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
I also need to rewatch the episode when Rudy was in the village. i thought there were more people who could talk (non-telepathically)

Even if they could talk, would they, given that Roxy seems to be of the same race as them? Natural for them to assume telepathy should work with her, I think
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11