• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Dubs, Casts for Platinum End, ODDTAXI, Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro,

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The only dub I have any mild interest in checking out is Platinum End's dub the other casts are decent looking but are forgettable at the end of the day.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice, Nagatoro! Perfect timing with S2 announced!

If they're going back and dubbing older shows in their catalog, boy do I hope we can see English dubs for Yuru Camp and A Place Further Than The Universe.
Farafra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Since Funimation owns crunchyroll(Which use LA Studios in most of their Dubbed shows) after the merge I am afraid they will use Crying or Very sad Anime dazed Anime cry only texas voice actors for their next licenced shows( Exclamation Exclamation Like they[Funimation] will have monopoly over Anime voiceover industry too] LA studios will be somehow affected by this(Unless Funimation sets up a branch in California Exclamation Exclamation ) Some voice actors have showed concerns over that u know https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1424868332138766373?s=19 Exclamation Exclamation[/quote]

I think that's a valid concern, but since Funimation effectively has twice as many shows to dub, I feel like they pretty have to outsource if they want to keep the dubs coming. The last year has shown them becoming a lot more comfortable with outsourcing, so hopefully that trend continues.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
^ Did you really make an alternate account to send the same message twice? Rolling Eyes

FireChick wrote:
No, Farafra is just replying to it, but didn't quote it properly.

Oops, that makes sense haha! Sorry for assuming that.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
No, Farafra is just replying to it, but didn't quote it properly.
I Am Audrey, how are you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Damn, with some of the names in the OddTaxi dub, you'd think Funi dubbed it. Or at the very least Sound Cadence.
Well with the rise of remote recording, VAs can send their voice anywhere
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Damn, with some of the names in the OddTaxi dub, you'd think Funi dubbed it. Or at the very least Sound Cadence.

I feel like Mike McFarland and Caitlin Glass have popped up in the odd LA dub so it's not completely surprising, although still unexpected.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:01 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Crunchyroll sure has announced a variety of voice actors for their licensed shows, especially with Nagatoro and OddTaxi getting dubs which everyone including myself are very excited about

Not to mention seeing Caitlin Glass in the cast of "Odd Taxi" and "The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat" with the latter series being a Studiopolis dub seems to suggest that she might have relocated to Los Angeles.

Now granted, Caitlin being in those projects doesn't necessarily mean she has moved to LA and no doubt she is recording these projects remotely, as are several other voice actors outside LA making some guest appearances in certain LA dubs as well (e.g. Elizabeth Maxwell, Tia Ballard). Not to mention Caitlin has appeared in some LA anime dubs before (e.g. Love Live, Sword Art Online, Skip Beat). However, I'm starting to notice that many veteran Dallas-based voice actors lately including some recent newcomers who worked at Funimation in Dallas for decades or for the past 4-6 years have started to make the move to Los Angeles for more voice work opportunities prior to the pandemic such as Christopher Bevins, Jeannie Tirado, Alejandro Saab, Morgan Berry, Dawn M. Bennett, and Felecia Angelle, and especially those that started to move to Los Angeles around the time the COVID-19 pandemic started such as Daman Mills, J. Michael Tatum, Amber Lee Connors, Stephen Fu, Suzie Yeung and Anairis Quinones.

Speaking of which this isn't the first time you had an actor based in Dallas or some other state appear in an LA dub before they officially moved to Los Angeles cause the same situation happened before with the likes of Daman Mills, Morgan Berry, and recently Suzie Yeung and Anairis Quinones, especially the former, as Daman started out at Funimation around the early 2010's doing voice work for them in Dallas, but around 2018 he started dipping his toes in some Los Angeles dubs like Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind before officially relocating to Los Angeles by mid-late 2019/early 2020 working in projects, like Promised Neverland, Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun, Pokemon Journeys, and Beastars.

If Caitlin Glass is indeed moving to LA this year or next year then that's awesome since she has been one of my favorite Veteran voice actresses at Funimation and I had always hope she would do more voicwork if she moved to LA and doing more ADR writing and voice directing as a freelancer.

On top of that, It's also awesome that Michaela Murphy (Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender) is now in her first anime dub in Platinum End. I greatly appreciate the interesting casting choices Studiopolis puts in their different dub productions (Union or Non-Union) now Michaela joins Jacob Hopkins (Gumball) as another voice actor who started off doing original animation shows before transitioning to do anime voiceover work.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
That's a very great (•‿•)great news !! Very Happy
/It's probably SONY effect Anime smile
But I have certain fears and concerns about future English dubbing situations Sad Confused
Since Funimation owns crunchyroll(Which use LA Studios in most of their Dubbed shows) after the merge I am afraid they will use Crying or Very sad Anime dazed Anime cry only texas voice actors for their next licenced shows( Exclamation Exclamation Like they[Funimation] will have monopoly over Anime voiceover industry too] LA studios will be somehow affected by this(Unless Funimation sets up a branch in California Exclamation Exclamation ) Some voice actors have showed concerns over that u know https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1424868332138766373?s=19 Exclamation Exclamation

If you look at the majority of recent Funimation dubs, they seem to be borrowing a ton of Californian talent for roles, whereas before they would only do that for the very big shows like AOT or MHA, or when the ADR director has those big connections.

It should also be clarified that Funimation does not own Crunchyroll. While yes, Sony owning both of them as well as Aniplex probably gives them something resembling a monopoly on the American anime market, this would not have the side effects you're assuming. Crunchyroll and Funimation exist as separate entities under Sony's film and TV banner, and while that means than can exchange assets, it doesn't mean one will necessarily dominate the other. Crunchyroll will very likely continue contracting Bang Zoom and Studiopolis for future work while simultaneously handing certain dubs to Funimation. And even in Funimation were to take over the entire anime VA dubbing landscape (which, again, won't happen), the Californian companies have a luxury that Funimation almost never has: being able to do video game work, which from what I can tell is way more lucrative than anime work (hence why Troy Baker has done next to nothing in anime for years now).
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
I have certain fears and concerns about future English dubbing situations Sad Confused
Since Funimation owns crunchyroll(Which use LA Studios in most of their Dubbed shows) after the merge I am afraid they will use Crying or Very sad Anime dazed Anime cry only texas voice actors for their next licenced shows( Exclamation Exclamation Like they[Funimation] will have monopoly over Anime voiceover industry too] LA studios will be somehow affected by this(Unless Funimation sets up a branch in California Exclamation Exclamation ) Some voice actors have showed concerns over that u know https://twitter.com/BenjaminDiskin/status/1424868332138766373?s=19 Exclamation Exclamation

I don't know how dubs for CR and Funi work in the U.S. but here in Latin America things have been interesting. Despite the Sony acquisition CR is still recording their shows at the same studios in Mexico City, while Funimation has been kind of inconsistent with their dubs, shows like Fruits Basket, Fire Force and Black Butler were dubbed in VSI Mexico in Mexico City (these have been the most well received); others like Assassination Classroom, The Prince of Tennis II and Overlord were dubbed in The Kitchen Mexico, in Cuernavaca (these were also well received but most actors aren't well known); Attack on Titan and the re-dubs of Cowboy Bebop and FMA: Brotherhood were done in C&G, in Mexico City (these were also well received; and finally MHA and Higurashi were dubbed in Miami, with remote collaboration from many different countries (these are the most criticized)
Most Latin American fans tend to prefer dubs made in Mexico City, though there are many good dubs made in Cuernavaca, Argentina and Chile, while dubs made in Miami aren't.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Talk about a monkey's paw. It's great having ODDTAXI dubbed into English, but Mike McFarland as a lead? Dude just doesn't have the chops. Caitlin Glass has never wowed me, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Wow, whether it's from the Sony buyout or otherwise, it's nice to see Crunchyroll going back to their past seasons and dubbing some of their more prominent shows while also dubbing their current season.

A few all-star casts, a lot of new names, but overall pretty interesting!

I think most people could peg Zeno for Kiriya from his cameo in season 1 (good resistance to not confirm it until now), but Keith Silverstein as Ernst makes too much sense that I figured it was going to happen.

indeed. i mean aniplex did the english dubs for season 2 of irregular high school visitors arc and currently its spinoff, but for some reason or another, their dead set on keeping season one of irregular eng sub!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2