• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Hollywood: we're making this movie, it's barely in pre-production, we have no other info for you right now except we're setting it in the US so an American audience can relate to the story

Anime fans: GRRRAAAHHHHH UNRELENTING HATRED AND NEGATIVITY RRRAARRRGGGHHH

...As one would expect from any popular genre piece being remade in another medium...

Personally, I'm very excited to see how this film will turn out. DiCaprio is no slouch of a talent and he seems to carefully pick the roles and movies he appears in, so hopefully that kind of eye will lead him to produce a competant and faithful adaptation of Otomo's manga classic. He doesn't seem to be the type that would make or appear in a film for the gee-whiz, slam-bang potential it may have, but rather for the artistic merit or the message it may send, as opposed to others (not limited to anime).

At the very least, it's good to see these live-action anime adaptations being done by the hands of fans who seem to understand the stories being done and who also have some sembalance of talent, as well (Wachovski(sp) Bros. on Speed Racer, Tobey Maguire on Robotech--even if I'm not necessarily supportive of it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
At least this thread has a refreshing lack of "more like leo diCRAPio!! i am a comedy master" in it.

I'm more surprised that no one made a Little Kuriboh reference.

.........in america.
artgeek707

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
that's interesting. Makes me think of the Monster live action film supposedly coming out in 2009 as well
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
apocalypticPOTATO wrote:
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Zac is right, all they've done is put it in America so it's relatable to Americans. I'm kind of excited to see what kind of work they can produce. They are making two movies; there's already a chance that it'll be a lot closer to the source material than even the original movie was. I love the original manga, and the movie, and I'm quite curious as to what new life can be brought into this kind of adaptation.

Because it's completely xenophobic and frankly speaking, it's pointless to a certain degree. Why have a movie about 1984 when you rename parts of Oceania to England and other assocaiated modern day countries because thats where parts of the story takes place? Or for that matter, why have inheritable Traditional Arabian Themes like Sheiks and Harems be set in a Futuristic World without context in someway? Heck, at least Kayne West wasn't afraid to give Akira some decent respect in his song.

They could've used a made-up name or even not mention it altogether.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Andrew:
Quote:

You said commercial success, not immediately profitable at the domestic box office alone.

Commercial successful means that the guy has big opening weekends, not small opening weekends with gradual profitability.

No, commercially successful means the movie is a hit.
All of these were.
By your definition, Juno is not commercially successful because it had an opening weekend of $525,155. Even though it has now earned $117 million.
The Sixth Sense is not commercially successful because it only opened to $26 million, even though it eventually made $293 million.

I'm not even going to address what creative bookkeeping a movie with a clear $50 million dollar profit ratio (minus many finer points of Hollywood bookkeeping, I'm sure) before DVD is somehow a problem. By that kind of standard, nothing with a budget bigger than Juno's would ever be worth making.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Andrew: Juno and the Sixth Sense were cheap. Leo's movies are expensive.
Atropine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't believe it when I saw this headline, I think this project definitely has some potential to be awesome.

Though I don't get how changing the setting of the story is "taking liberties" or changing the story. It takes place in a neo-urban area, and considering the companies involved are in the U.S. and are adapting it for a U.S. audience, it makes sense for them to change the setting to the U.S. Even if they change place and character names, the story itself could go untouched. It won't, they never do, but I'm just saying we don't know what'd going on story-wise yet.

All those changes are made for tons of reason, the main two being 1) increased general accessibility to the plot for people unfamiliar with the source material and 2) time and budget constraints in the movie.

Aren't some anime fans always going on about how the industry's suffering because not enough people are interested? Wouldn't making the movies completely true to the source material qualify as one of those niche-market offerings that only cater to those who are already into the fandom?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Atropine: Watering down the source material does not increase interest in the genre. Just ask how many people have read AHOV or V for Vendetta since those bastardizations got made.
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Whaaaaaaat? Wow, random.

Wonder what they'll rename Akira; it's not exactly a normal name to New Manhattan.

I dont think they will rename "Akira"...........afterall it is one of the more well known anime titles in western countries....... even to non-anime fans.

They can always say the genetic project is originated in Japan or something Very Happy
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Atropine: Watering down the source material does not increase interest in the genre. Just ask how many people have read AHOV or V for Vendetta since those bastardizations got made.

Or for that matter, those that read Beowulf or the Iliad.

"Waitaminute, where the [expletive] hell is the part where Rosario Dawson shows her tits?!?!"
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

V for Vendetta re-entered the graphic novel sales charts for like a month or two surrounding the release of the film.

Yes it pretty much always does increase general interest, usually because there's a hundred-million dollar marketing campaign aggressively mentioning the title of the film so people see the book/animated version on the shelf and say "huh Akira I've heard of this" and they check it out.

Marketing for Dummies itt
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Andrew: Juno and the Sixth Sense were cheap. Leo's movies are expensive.

Amazing, he moved the goalposts again! Five acts of back-pedaling in less than 3 hours. This is a debating goalpost-mover in rare form. Not rare enough, sadly.

GATSU wrote:

Graphic novels are a medium, not a genre. And yes, more people did read both since those movies got made. That's why Vertigo reprinted both graphic novels during the release of the movies and since then.
Atropine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll ask if you can actually provide the numbers.

I dunno about everyone else, but generally when I find that a movie I've enjoyed was based on a book, I go and check out the book. The marketing works on me, I guess.

Not that it's related, but I heard that Beowulf was actually not that great. And considering how many students are forced to read it for school, I wouldn't really expect its popularity to exactly shoot through the roof.
render

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Because it's completely xenophobic and frankly speaking, it's pointless to a certain degree. Why have a movie about 1984 when you rename parts of Oceania to England and other assocaiated modern day countries because thats where parts of the story takes place? Or for that matter, why have inheritable Traditional Arabian Themes like Sheiks and Harems be set in a Futuristic World without context in someway? Heck, at least Kayne West wasn't afraid to give Akira some decent respect in his song.

They could've used a made-up name or even not mention it altogether.

You can tell the basic Akira story in any developed country that has a big city in it (which doesn't even matter, since the city's been destroyed and rebuilt).

Also, no one said the name of the movie will be Akira, but they'd be stupid not to use the name, since that's instant marketing to an installed fanbase. People already know Akira. If they named the movie "Brian" or something, people would have to draw an extra line.

The fact that they are making it set in the US is not out of disrespect to the Japanese as a people. Do you think Warner Bros. would green-light a project like this if people came to then and said "We'd like to make a multi-million dollar budget movie, based on this old comic from Japan, and though your primary market is the English-speaking Western world, we'd like to set it in Japan, and keep all the Japanese stuff that's irrelevant to the story intact so we alienate most of your market." No. Making the setting and characters something to widen their potential audience is far from pointless.

In an unrelated note, I think it's hilarious that The Hollywood Reporter has a picture of Akira from Rival Schools/Project Justice instead of the Kaneda pic they had earlier.

edit: took out the "social commentary" BS, because I realized I was talking out of my ass.

Last edited by render on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
now, let's wish they would do a Ghost in the Shell movie too. I stroungly believe that it could be a block buster.

and............. of course.......... the long awaited Evangelion~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13