• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ever have any anime-related worries in your gut?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
1. My first experience with 'real' anime was Galaxy Express 999 and the story of a boy and his mother living on the fringes of society just completely resonated with me and my situation at the time. The cruel and indifferent world portrayed in the film left me shocked and uneasy for a long time afterward and I never felt quite right when watching it; always a little uneasy, a little on-edge, even to this day. My extended review of that movie was edited out previously while having second thoughts on what it said about the movie and what it said about me.

2. Here in Real Life (TM) I was also worrying about the future of Geneon back in September of 2006...

daxomni wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:59 pm
I hope this sale doesn't mean that Geneon is falling on even harder times these days. I mean, I'm a little surprised that so many of their DVD's are apparently selling poorly enough that they're willing to dump them on the market like this.

So what about YOU? Have you ever had any anime-related worries based on the story or here in real life? Did they ever pan out or were they just needless concerns?
TheAnimeJudge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Alot of animes give me that worried feeling.. especially with new anime, all i worry about is "How is it going to end... if it was horrible... WHY IN THE WORLD DID I WAIST MY TIME WATCHING THIS CRAP?!?!?"... and my gut... hmm not really, no anime has scared me to the point of my sixth sense...

Life related... well it depends on what you mean... o.O... if its life related, its that i hope anime doesnt run out or i would go crazy over boredom...
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
I have as of yet to give the industry a real look over, so I can immediately respond no to the second part of your inquiry; however, there are several stories that prick at my mind.

Berserk spoiler[ This ending in particular stands out because of the unbelievable treachery Griffith commits; the idea that a human being can be that selfish astounds me, yet it rings the bell of reality.]
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
1. My first experience with 'real' anime was Galaxy Express 999 and the story of a boy and his mother living on the fringes of society just completely resonated with me and my situation at the time. The cruel and indifferent world portrayed in the film left me shocked and uneasy for a long time afterward and I never felt quite right when watching it; always a little uneasy, a little on-edge, even to this day. My extended review of that movie was edited out previously while having second thoughts on what it said about the movie and what it said about me.

2. Here in Real Life (TM) I was also worrying about the future of Geneon back in September of 2006...

daxomni wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:59 pm
I hope this sale doesn't mean that Geneon is falling on even harder times these days. I mean, I'm a little surprised that so many of their DVD's are apparently selling poorly enough that they're willing to dump them on the market like this.

So what about YOU? Have you ever had any anime-related worries based on the story or here in real life? Did they ever pan out or were they just needless concerns?

The US anime industry in general. I find that popularity in anime has hit a pleteau. A good amount of people know about it but not interested in watching it because it isn't mainstream enough. I think Live Action is the next step to make it more popular

In JP, I find that the same concepts (mainly harem) is used way too often. Authors need to break the mold and try something different and more mature themes. I would rather have them try to break the mold than anything else though.

As for GE 999. I wish someone would release it on DVD because it is only on tape format at the moment.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
I wish the most I had to worry about was whether or not my favorite series would finish their DVD run or would get licensed or whatever. If that's all that bothers you, congrats. Your life is good.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm really concerned about in the real world is the releases of Hellsing Ultimate. When and how will we get it, though I've been hearing some things about Geneon and Funi at the same time, so my worries may not have to go that far.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Not really. Right now I'm somewhat worried that the Eureka Seven ending might mirror that of the manga, which I've finished. I didn't much care for the manga ending, but I've been told the anime ends differently. My fears were somewhat put to rest by a friend who has seen it through who told me just enough to know the ending is better in respect to the aspect that most concerned me without really giving anything away. So basically they just said, "don't worry, it doesn't happen that way" Heh. That's all I needed to know though. The rest I'll see when the time comes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
I found that I have a similar situation as Ohno's in Genshiken 2 - She was worried about being left alone in school because everyone else with graduate before her. That's sort of how things are for me right now. My friends and most of the people I know in school just graduated last week, and now I don't know what to do when I get back cause I'm sure I won't see any familiar faces. Ohno got over it, and hopefully I'll be over it too.

Then there's also Sasahara's and Madarame's difficulty in finding a job. I'm kinda worried about that as well since I'll be graduating in 2 terms. Like Sasahara, I want to have a job that I will like, but seeing how tough it was for him made me worry a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nomed44

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
i think some of you got the posters message wrong

i kind of feel like battle programer's rival, always getting duped, and can never pass him, just the basic feeling of not able to do things right

anyway, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann , then after watching Doctor who -the new series-

made me think how insignificant we can are, compared to the "massive universe" we live in

we are all just dust in the wind > kind of like that

and whoever just posted about genshinken 2 up above, i kind of feel like that, that lonely feeling anyway

but in the sense, for me anyway, how many of my peers or people "below" me in a sense are surpassing me in alot of ways
or did something i prob wont do for a couple of years

but..... the more i think about this kind of stuff, the more it just pisses me off, the more i want to rival , compete and beat people MANY people in alot of ways
and i notice, the things i do or can do are usually are what other people want to do
so it makes me happy that i can
melb shuffle < still practicing
play elec guitar
be a net pirate Anime smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
I used to (and kinda still do), when a series was approaching its end (about 3/4th of the way through) always worry about whether a series had enough episodes left to come to a satisfactory ending where nothing was left hanging and/or underexplained or unexplained. For example, in Rumbling Hearts, when I was around episode 11, I started fretting a bit that the series was moving too slowly and would end randomly at a bad place (and I was obsessive about spoilers back then). In the end it worked out okay, I got the ending I wanted, and the show finished satisfactorily (in my book).
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Many occasions. When Geneon went down I was TERRIFIED. When the KKM OAVs and season 3 were announced, I was both excited and worried. Excited because I adore KKM, but scared of a pairing a loathe becoming canon. That hasn't happened yet, but still frightens me. I was also concerned for Gunter during ep. 27 of KKM when he got poisoned.

Non-KKM related, I'm scared for ADV right now.
Comartemis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Biggest worries I ever had was about whether or not there'll be a fourth season of Nanoha. For the love of god, don't let it end with StrikerS!

Besides that? I guess I got slightly depressed after someone ruined the ending of Saikano for me, but I hadn't really planned on watching it in the first place.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I wish the most I had to worry about was whether or not my favorite series would finish their DVD run or would get licensed or whatever. If that's all that bothers you, congrats. Your life is good.
A point well-taken, but if we started talking of our worries about careers, love lives, global warming, recessions, etc., then it wouldn't be on-topic for an anime forum, would it?
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Many times I get worried about how and at a what point a series will end, but it's never anything too serious. I either just watch the rest as fast as I can or skip and watch some of the last episode to deny (or confirm) my misgivings.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
A point well-taken, but if we started talking of our worries about careers, love lives, global warming, recessions, etc., then it wouldn't be on-topic for an anime forum, would it?

Not to mention that nobody said that these were the only things that bothered them. You shouldn't assume that just because people are discussing worries and problems that are more minor that they don't also have bigger problems. Like Zalis said though, those problems would be off topic here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2