• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
action VS adventure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Use this thread to ask for clarifications about the difference between the action and adventure genres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Why may action and adventure not be combined together? They often are, elsewhere, and series are designed as Action-Adventure. Cowboy Bebop is an Action-Adventure; how could you say it is only one or the other?

Keep the genre "action" for anime Cowboy Bebop (TV)
(I would watch this anime for the action element alone)
-> YES

Keep the genre "adventure" for anime Cowboy Bebop (TV)
(I would watch this anime for the adventure element alone)
-> YES

I would watch it for the action alone, disregarding all other elements, and would recommend it to people who like action. I would also watch it for the adventure alone, disregarding all other elements, and would recommend it to people who like adventure.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
But still you have to choose.
Is it mainly an adventure that happens to have a lot of action it it?
Or is it mainly an action piece that happens to have a lot of adventure in it?

Yes, like Cowboy Bebop there are times when it's more difficult to draw the line but nonetheless the line has to be drawn. Otherwise too many anime would be saddled with both action and aventure when in fact one of them is much more appropriate than the other. By making them mutually exclusive, it basically forces people to think about it and figure out which element is the main one.

I might be convinced to add "action-adventure" as a genre if there was a good definition to separate it from pure action or pure adventure genres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Do martial arts tournament shows also count as action shows? (Like Dragon Ball Z, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, etc) Or is the action genre more for non-tournament action shows like City Hunter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
If you have to choose, that is either a failure in the system, or a weakness in the explanation. Sometimes the line just does not have to be drawn. It was designed as both; it should be categorized as both.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
If you have to choose, that is either a failure in the system, or a weakness in the explanation. Sometimes the line just does not have to be drawn. It was designed as both; it should be categorized as both.

Heh. Well one of the audits I was "Dragonball Action vs Adventure." For the first half of Dragonball it was pretty much a pure adventure show. Heck, the opening song was "Mysterious Adventure."

Second half, it became more of a martial arts tournament action show... so I couldn't really choose between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Peter Ahlstrom wrote:
It was designed as both; it should be categorized as both.

No. While it's rare for adventure titles having little or no action elements (yet we've got a popular one right now, and there are some manga examples), there are more action titles that are without adventure elements, mostly non-competitive martial art activities in campuses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I think dormcat has a very good point here. So if you're really hesitating between action and adventure, it probably means the show is adventure. Because action scenes are usually an important part of adventure anime whereas "pure action" anime usually doesn't involve that much adventure.

As for DB/DBZ, I have to admit changing genres in mid-show is problematic...

Martial arts tournament shows count as action. That's why I kept the tournament and action genres separate, so that they could both be added to an anime at the same time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I think dormcat has a very good point here. So if you're really hesitating between action and adventure, it probably means the show is adventure. Because action scenes are usually an important part of adventure anime whereas "pure action" anime usually doesn't involve that much adventure.

If that's the case then it's probably no problem. I would suggest clarifying this in the definitions though. I could see people being much more likely to assume action to be anything with a decent amount of action in it.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, a weakness in the explanation. The options given in the radio buttons don't work. Yes I would watch it only for its action, and yes I would watch it only for its adventure.

If you want to make them mutually exclusive, the options have to be more clear. But why make them mutually exclusive? There are a lot of adventure shows that are so full of action that an action fan will have no problem enjoying them, but if they don't think to click the "adventure" button when searching, they'll not see those shows listed.

I can't find a link to the definitions right now, but basically, it sounds like you're saying action shows favor action to the exclusion of all else, and if there's an action show with an actual plot with adventure elements, it becomes an adventure show and not an action show, even if it has just as much action as another show classified as action that has less depth of plot.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the wordings on why picking each genre should be changed.

Instead of "I would watch this show for X", it should be "The show is primarily about X"

For example, Cowboy Bebop. Instead of "I would watch CB for action" or "I would watch CB for adventure," it would be "CB is primarily about adventure" or "CB is primarily about action." Since no, it's not about the action (although action is an element of it), it would be adventure, not action.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Perhaps the wordings on why picking each genre should be changed.

Instead of "I would watch this show for X", it should be "The show is primarily about X"

For example, Cowboy Bebop. Instead of "I would watch CB for action" or "I would watch CB for adventure," it would be "CB is primarily about adventure" or "CB is primarily about action." Since no, it's not about the action (although action is an element of it), it would be adventure, not action.

I would disagree on both counts. "I would watch this show for X" when given the choice between the two is just as good as "The show is primarily about X".
Also, regarding Cowboy Bebop in particular, I'd pick action over adventure. Adventure implies exploration and discovery, but the universe of CB is essentially known, and the protagonists most often spent their time trying to catch people; a task that cares little about the environment except for tactical purposes.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, regarding Cowboy Bebop in particular, I'd pick action over adventure. Adventure implies exploration and discovery, but the universe of CB is essentially known, and the protagonists most often spent their time trying to catch people; a task that cares little about the environment except for tactical purposes.

That's what I decided, in the end; adventure is revealing new stuff to the protagonists, and the protagonists of CBBB already knew everything.

This shifted the problem to stuff like Gundam, particularly the TV series. Since they're usually told through a juvenile perspective, the story is almost always as much about exploring the universe [through the protagonist's perspective] as it is about exploding giant robots; both are important parts of the gundam experience [imo].

My understanding of the situation is this: "action" and "adventure" are technically orthogonal [unlike, say, "dama"/"slice-of-life", where it's impossible to be both and still have a coherent program on the output]. HOWEVER, even though "action" and "adventure" are seperate things and rightly classified as seperate things, shows that are one almost always have elements of the other. Even though one or the other is usually the "core" of the show, there's enough crossover that, if it were permitted, most shows would be classified as "both", even though this is wrong [because one or the other is usually stronger]. Preventing a "both" answer solves this problem, but at the cost of making life difficult for the handful of shows that are genuinely both.

I think... the problem's small enough that you could probably special-case it when it does arise, hand-intervention to flag the genuine "both" titles.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
nargun, that was an excellent summary of the situation.
ptr01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
What about the shows which are adventure based but has no action, and shows in which the adventure they take inevitably leads to action? How do you differentiate between them?

Here's an example:
Nobody's girl: anime#1101

Onepiece: anime#836

Every adventure they take in Onepiece ALWAYS leads to extreme amounts of action. For an action fan like me that IS Action. I would never even dream to clubbing the above 2 Anime. Clubbing these 2 is blasphemy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2