• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
I just watched Wasteful Days of High School Girl. I hadn't even heard of this gem of a show until I just happened to stumble upon it. It was hilarious and occasionally heartwarming with a cast of likable goofy cute characters. I liked all the little relationships that were formed between its characters. Absolutely a fantastic show, I'm sad that I was done with it so quickly.

Also recently watched Talentless Nana. Also a brilliant show. The battle of wits was entertaining and it had a real heart-rending finale. I felt like the show was really good at balancing its tone. It sprinkled in a bit comedy and lightheartedness to keep it from being too grimdark without taking away from its darker elements.

I feel empty after finishing two such enjoyable shows. What even is the meaning of life?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I just watched Wasteful Days of High School Girl. I hadn't even heard of this gem of a show until I just happened to stumble upon it. It was hilarious and occasionally heartwarming with a cast of likable goofy cute characters. I liked all the little relationships that were formed between its characters. Absolutely a fantastic show, I'm sad that I was done with it so quickly.

*pretends to beatbox*

The show can be very funny. And when they put Yamai and Baka together, I think that I had to pause the episode during the picture taking scene.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
For some reason what really had me laughing out loud was Majo's poor communication skills causing Majime to tie herself in knots. And I was always amused when the teacher had to waste his time with Yamai or Baka.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I feel empty after finishing two such enjoyable shows. What even is the meaning of life?

Always a sad feeling when something you didn't want to end, ends. Anime cry
Those were good shows! Did you ever go back to catch up the last bit of World Trigger?

I've been mainly watching whatever comes out on the daily, but I did try to catch up on Vlad Love. I'm still not loving it and watching several episodes together isn't as enjoyable. I'll be glad to get it on a weekly schedule, it's just not my type of show.

Also watching Hells the movie on CR (ok, technically VRV since I can't for some reason watch CR on my tv anymore since they updated the tiers and it never worked again and I had to pay more for VRV just to watch CR and I'm still frickin salty about it...)
Also not really my thing, not my favorite animation and the story is just meh.
Really need to get to something better soon, lol.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Did you ever go back to catch up the last bit of World Trigger?

Nah. I still intend to, someday. Maybe. Hopefully.

In the meantime, I'll be checking out this Non Non Biyori thingy. I've never really been fan of the cute-girls-doing-cute-things genre and I've always had this perception that Non Non Biyori belongs in that genre, but I started playing Doom Eternal The Ancient Gods DLC and the brutal demon slaying on Nightmare difficulty requires extreme focus and it's kinda exhausting to play more than an hour and a half at a time so I wanted something relaxing to watch after blowing up some demons into bloody chunks. Many of these "like-minded" people on ANN seemed to have rated this show very highly so maybe there's something worthy of my time in this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I really can't recommend Non Non Biyori highly enough, but of course, that doesn't mean that you'll dig it. I think it's fair to put it in the CGDCT category but I find its humour to be superior to a lot of other shows in that genre. Plus it has a range of ages from little Ren-chon all the way up to her oldest sister who teaches at the one room school (and not very competently, it must be said). No harm in trying an eppie or two. I think you'll be able to determine quite quickly if it's for you or not.

For myself, I've watched the first two eppies of High Rise Invasion and I like it. Good, cheesy fun with a pretty cool premise. I actually read the first omnibus of the manga so I was already a bit familiar going in. Watching an episode of Non Non Biyori and then one of High Rise would be pretty trippy...
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really can't recommend Non Non Biyori highly enough, but of course, that doesn't mean that you'll dig it. I think it's fair to put it in the CGDCT category but I find its humour to be superior to a lot of other shows in that genre. Plus it has a range of ages from little Ren-chon all the way up to her oldest sister who teaches at the one room school (and not very competently, it must be said). No harm in trying an eppie or two. I think you'll be able to determine quite quickly if it's for you or not.

Well, having watched quite a bit of the first season, I'd say it's goodish. The humour isn't making me laugh, at most I get a chuckle out of the jokes. To me the show has been at its best when it has focused on Renge. Like an episode where she makes a same-age friend was good and I particularly like the bond she develops with the candy shopkeeper. Feel like Renge is the star of the show. While she is kind of a moeblobbait character I feel like she has genuine childlike qualities that transcend her beyond a simple anime trope.

Not sure if I'll stick with the show past the 1st season, but it hasn't been a waste of time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Even as a superfan of Non Non Biyori, I felt the second season wasn't as good as the first, so given you are far less enthusiastic about the franchise than I am, not bothering with the second season is probably the right move for you. So far, the third season seems better than the second, but I really need to rewatch one and two just to be really sure. And I will!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Children of the Sea - I wanted to see this movie for over a year now because the animation for this movie looks amazing. Seeing that this movie is now on Netflix (As of 3/1/2021), I can finally watch it. Unfortunately, I could not get into this movie at all. Children of the Sea aka The Sea Monster's Children is a very beautiful movie, but the lackluster story ruined it for me. The animation is breath-taking with many scenes of animation that made my jaw drop. Almost every scene in this movie feels like they belong in a Museum in my opinion. The large amount of detail that they put into this movie is fantastic because the animals look like they are ripped straight from a Zoo Book. Another good thing about Children of the Sea is the music from Joe Hisaishi (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind). The music in this movie is wonderful to listen too and every bit of music fits so well with the beautiful animation.

Too bad, the story did nothing for me. I didn't find any of the characters to be memorable or interesting at all in my opinion. The story was all over the place and the third act of the movie left me confused about what just happened. Children of the Sea tries to add some mystery and build-up to the story, but I feel like there's barely any explanation to anything on what was going on. The pacing is my least favorite thing about this movie because it moves so slow. 30 minutes of this movie felt like one hour. Children of the Sea is almost 2 hours long and you can feel the long length when watching this movie. I almost wanted to press fast forward during the boring scenes of this movie, but I don't like doing that (It feels disrespectful to me).

Even though I didn't like this movie, I still give an A for effort because the movie is very well made. You can tell that they put a lot of love when making this movie. I still recommend Children of the Sea if you are curious because you will probably like this movie more than I did. Rating: 6.5/10
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
tatiledi wrote:
I'm watching two series currently: Lucky Star and Haruhi Sazuyima (is that how you spell it?) I know these two are very alike but I'm in a big humor mood this month. Both of them are hilarious.

The neat thing about these two is that if you're watching them in Japanese, the main character of both shows are played by the same voice actor, Aya Hirano!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Two of the series I'm watching right now are Kira Kira and Tropical Rouge Pretty Cure! I recently finished Healin' Good and loved it, and I'm also in love with Kira Kira and Tropical Rouge. Pretty Cure is so amazing. It's inspiring and healing and cute!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Two of the series I'm watching right now are Kira Kira and Tropical Rouge Pretty Cure! I recently finished Healin' Good and loved it, and I'm also in love with Kira Kira and Tropical Rouge. Pretty Cure is so amazing. It's inspiring and healing and cute!

I am kind of new to Pretty Cure, so I am hoping to get a good understanding of its good elements in Tropical Rouge.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

I am kind of new to Pretty Cure, so I am hoping to get a good understanding of its good elements in Tropical Rouge.

I haven't seen any of them either and couldn't decide if it was something I'd be interested in, I guess I finally thought maybe they were geared at younger kids...and there are enough out I wouldn't know if order matters...
if y'all share a bit more about your thoughts, I'd love to hear it! Although currently I am pretty behind in the weekly streaming I watch.

I did watch Like the Clouds, Like the Wind movie and enjoyed it. It surprised me actually after picking a few dud movies to watch.
hockey webcomics

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching to Pacific Rim: The Black, which gave me a sudden interest to watch to more mecha stuff. The only Gundam series I had watched to so far was Gundam Wing, so I just started Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn OVA.
I'm also watching to Kuroko no Basket, because I like sports anime. But I'm only in the first episode of both.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Those are some damn fine movies there. I plan to have a Ghibli marathon one of these days myself. I own them all and I may go in release order or some other scheme, not sure which.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1039 of 1065