• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Classifying Appare and Kosame’s relationship as LGBTQ is an extreme stretch. Was there no other more prominent Male/Male relationships in 2020 that you just had to settle? No good Yaoi anime came out this year?

If I had to guess, the writer either prefers yuri or dislikes traditional BL.

Only if you consider sexual assault part of "traditional" BL.

Most of 2020's BL titles aren't officially out in English yet. That's really all there is to it.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
meiam wrote:

They're example where the story is purposefully vague but it's clear that the writer intended for them to be seen as a unit even while also making it possible to deny it like plenty of other case (sound euphonieum and yuri on ice being the most obvious recent example

I wouldn’t put Yuri on Ice in that category at all. If anything, with how Yuri and Viktor are presented (the kiss, the lip gloss, the rings, etc.), it’s almost impossible to deny that they’re a couple, or at least romantically interested in each other, by the end. You’d have to go the extra mile to deny any of that.

All those examples are just good way to show how they bend over backward to avoid making it clear what their relationship is. The kiss isn't shown and no one ever mention it afterwards (you'd think an athlete and coach kissing on camera would be talked about, no matter the sex involved). The ring is juts a ring, no one mentions wedding or anything like that.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I've read three volumes of the novel (haven't watched the anime), and I was going to drop it as moe-moe yuri-baiting.

I don't understand this. Why is it that yuri romance gets lambasted for not having immediate payoff and being a slow burn whereas no other kind of narrative gets this treatment?

And whenever they do[/u] go all the way at a relatively quick pace, it's criticized as "fetish-y" or "pandering",

Neither het romances or even many BL stories get this kind of treatment.

If a story is still ongoing, to claim it's "bait" is objectively false.

I don't think I've been genuinely interested in a yuri show (at least for the yuri) and even I think this attitude is patently ridiculous.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Neither het romances or even many BL stories get this kind of treatment.

No, "het" romances get that criticism from time to time, too. Rumiko Takahashi titles in particular are notorious for it, but she's hardly the only creator who drags those thiings out to the point of obnoxiousness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Rumiko Takahashi titles in particular are notorious for it, but she's hardly the only creator who drags those things out to the point of obnoxiousness.

Ranma 1/2's ending prepared me for how often romances in anime would be unfulfilled. To this day I'm still shocked whenever a romantic couple actually locks lips or a harem protagonist picks one of the bloody love interests.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

All those examples are just good way to show how they bend over backward to avoid making it clear what their relationship is. The kiss isn't shown and no one ever mention it afterwards (you'd think an athlete and coach kissing on camera would be talked about, no matter the sex involved). The ring is juts a ring, no one mentions wedding or anything like that.

I can't believe we're still having this conversation over 4 years later but uh, that's entirely incorrect. One character, when seeing their rings, literally congratulates them on getting married, entirely sincerely. To which Victor responds that they're actually engagement rings, and they plan to marry after Yuuri wins the competition the next day.

You did, however, ironically give a good example of somebody "going the extra mile" to deny queer text in something that is making it bleedingly obvious.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

You did, however, ironically give a good example of somebody "going the extra mile" to deny queer text in something that is making it bleedingly obvious.

Yeah, there is an isekai for this season that has two bisexual characters and the fandom keeps on applying biisexual erasure on them; one is a guy who is atracted to pretty or at least thin guys and they deny that because the few guy he is into during the plot don't liek him back that way and when finally another guy takes a liking to that character ; it¿'s a shot, fat ugly dawrf so the bi charcetrs does not like himback (therefore he is not gaya cocrding to erasers), the other is his wife, who sleeps around with a catgirl, again, easy to understand that as sexual attraction but apparently is "just snuggling".

sorry, just had to rant that out.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the Best of year list was what I expected

but man, the worst of year list gives me stuff to talk about:
-Rent-a-Girlfriend: yikes, that show sounds like a mess to deal with. I know some people who like it and other who hate it so it would be interesting to see what the reaction to the paragraph on the show will be
-God of High School: I'm torn on this nomination. I get that the show does suffer from a lack of characterization and narrative but I also feel just reducing what little character and narrative down to "creatively bankrupt rip off" is a tad excessive. Yes, it's not original but it's functional enough for the story and it gives me enough to back up the leads
-Nekopara: this nomination baffles me. like, yes the show sucks but it's not worth really mentioning I feel. It's just a catgirl harem anime adapted from a popular H-game. While yes, the world building and narrative fall apart easy, so do most harems and H-game plots in general. As such, while it's bad, I don't see why it's worth noting
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
My top 5 were:

1. Major 2nd S2
2. Kaguya-sama S2
3. Made in Abyss Movie
4. Fire Force S2
5. Oregairu S3

My two favourites this year were Major 2nd season 2 and Kaguya-sama season 2. I'm just a huge fan of Major and its mix of shounen sports stuff and coming of age storytelling. Despite having to maintain the status quo between the two main leads, Kaguya-sama still managed to be extremely funny and capable of keeping the story engaging. I haven't seen Re:zero season 2's part 1 yet though.

I don't think I watched any real proper stinkers this year. Maybe Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World would be my worst show? That one was simply generic and boring. Though I guess I might have disliked The Day I Became a God more. I started off liking Day I became a god but started losing interest in it like only after a few episodes. I'm not sure what I even saw in it in the first place anymore. In the end I didn't really like any of the characters and the humor didn't really work for me.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
Honestly you should ditch the whole "Worst Anime" category. It feels rather counter to being inclusive to have a category to essentially call shows garbage, which effectively would belittle anyone who may have enjoyed any of those shows.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:
Honestly you should ditch the whole "Worst Anime" category. It feels rather counter to being inclusive to have a category to essentially call shows garbage, which effectively would belittle anyone who may have enjoyed any of those shows.

I agree, plus any list of "worst" anime from 2020 that doesn't mention Ninja Collection shows a lack of due diligence.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:

What? I don't see the logic here. Rebecca said Id:Invaded was her worst while I think it's one of the best of the year. It's not like she personally insulted me. People have different tastes. Now if a person was like, "If you like this show then you're a garbage person." that would be different.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:
Classifying Appare and Kosame’s relationship as LGBTQ is an extreme stretch. Was there no other more prominent Male/Male relationships in 2020 that you just had to settle? No good Yaoi anime came out this year? If anything, Kosame is more like Appare’s older brother and his caretaker rather than a romantic prospect, especially since the entire anime is extremely lacking in both romantic context and subtext among its core cast.

Per what all-tsun-and-no-dere alluded to: Most of the actual, canon, categorically BL male/male pairings and works are often looked down upon by the more progressive groups as offensive since they're mostly written to appeal to fujoshi. So in that regards, the best way to present anime and manga having a positive LGBT environment is to elevate pairings that in general are not a focus of the show. The unfortunate reality is that the best relationships in anime for some people are those that avoid the relationship as much as possible, since it means there's no chance for negative elements to pop up in them.

Whether the two characters in question are or are not romantically interested in one another is irrelevant, because given the type of genre the show is there won't be any kind focus on romance or any chance of intimacy being shown, which therefore means that there's no opportunity for problematic issues like sexual assault or fetishization of the pairing to happen. Those that want that sort of stuff can explore it via fan works, while those that don't can imagine an alternate portrayal of their relationship. Both are equally valid so long as the actual canon never explores the subject.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
This kind of talk reminds me of the endless NanoFate nonsense I keep hearing.

“Oh, NanoFate is canon. Look they adopted a kid, what more do you want??”

Oh, I don’t know. A kiss, romantic things, a declaration of love.
You know, ACTUAL yuri things.
No, let’s get a Final Fantasy 8 rip off instead.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
[ Rebecca said Id:Invaded was her worst while I think it's one of the best of the year. It's not like she personally insulted me.

Very Happy

I'm actually pretty pleased that it's teasing having a continuation, to be honest. I really enjoyed it until the end, which left a bad taste in my mouth. It disappointed me a lot, but it's not like I want it not to exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9