• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Virtual YouTubers Akai Haato, Kiryu Coco Suspended For 3 Weeks Due to 'Inappropri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As a form of redress, the CEO will take a salary cut, and the company has created a Compliance Committee.

Oh my GOD. Remember that the reason every company bows to China is either to profit off their large population through media or exploiting their very lax labor laws.

And, for the record, Taiwan is a separate country from China according to any accurate map.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:01 am Reply with quote
new statement is just weird.

doubling down on the "confidential channel analytics" bs
and

"we will make it company policy to release statements that conform to local laws and customs but are also universally equitable"
"conform to local laws and customs" and "universally equitable" is an oxymoron. You can't conform to China while also being "universal" who was this "Correction" supposed to please?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:57 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
I really don't care with Japanese entertainment companies trying to go after a Chinese market with a product they know does not reliably adhere to the restrictive values of their government and society. Even the Chinese companies are censoring their Japanese styled products in their home market. Even putting aside the moral issues it's overly opportunistic.

Well, some anime fans for the longest time did always say they wanted Japanese companies to cater to an international audience and keep them in mind for productions. They just assumed it'd be towards American fans if that started happening rather than other markets like China. Monkey Paw and all that.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
Disgusting. But hey, that's China for you.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I knew their punishment would do no good, the only way for Cover to recover is to cut their losses by getting off of BilliBilli and stop dealing with China. When dealing with mindless CCP puppets, you either get out of dodge or stand up to them (it's too late for the latter, leaving the former as the only option), even bowing to them completely by firing Coco and Haato won't make this go away and will make things even worse, it's basically flee or lose everything.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Even the news media in Taiwan covered this incident and that's good.This issue needs to be addressed more since it's all about political extremist having their way against free speech and harmless statements over again. Those girls did nothing wrong, but simply got punished for acknowledging their existing fandom from Taiwan and somehow this banal mention ended up in a political mess. The Hololive reddit community went completely berserk because of the first early official apology which was also downvoted like crazy since the explanation for the suspension made them feel like they were taken for fools. Of course there are also enough Chinese fans who don't support these measurements and shared their concerns about the generalization.

Now the other vtuber members aren't allowed to display their chat in the streams anymore as part of those measurements. I hope it won't affect their donations in a negative way. Showcasing the chat along with the donators was something that often defined the fun and the interaction with these girls and can provide a nice motivational boost for the fans like it was the case with Calliope's stream recently.
flammie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 am Reply with quote
As disappointing as Cover’s response was, it is basically identical to every other company trying to do business in China. Both Blizzard and the NBA have had almost identical responses after offending OneChina zealots (and don't forget the MHA controversy). The reality of the situation is that China is the single largest market for anime styled entertainment (in terms of audience size) and abandoning that market would be dumb from a business perspective, especially since they have already done lots of deals with Chinese companies (Azur Lane collab, other gaming events). Obviously self censorship In deference to China is not what we want, but it is our current reality in pretty much all globally focused entertainment media today (just look at Hollywood).
FormX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
To put things into perspective, China will literally go to war if Taiwan declared independence or is formally recognized as an independent country internationally... this flashpoint has always been around since the civil war.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I just don't understand this. It's so incredibly petty while so simultaneously explosive that I simply cannot fathom what to think.

Is the market in China so lucrative that it's worth all of this hassle over 6 seconds of screen text? Suspending the most profitable talent they have and actually pissing off their fans from the rest of the world?

I emphasize "actually" because no one in China, nationalist or otherwise, was actually triggered by this. They were just paid to be toxic and drum up a storm because they know that is the best way to get others to conform to what they want.

This is what needs to happen: All viewers need to stop watching ALL Hololive streams until Cover Corp pulls out of Billibilli. Make Cover have to chose between losing China or losing the rest of the world.

I know that is hurting unrelated parties... but it's the fastest solution to allow everyone to get back on track in the healthiest way possible. Because otherwise there will always be this lingering feeling that looms over all vtuber talent that screams "big brother China is watching!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4