• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime of Summer 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhykion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
All this hate for God of High School...jeez. It is an action anime, what more do you expect, and ultimately it delivered what an action anime is supposed to. Is the webtoon better? Yeah. Definitely not the worst this season. Shokugeki no Soma S5 anyone? It was clear that the author gave up on the story when the manga came out, we knew this season would be crap.

Best: Re-Zero S2
Runner Up: Railgun S3
Worst: Shokugeki no Soma S5
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I’m probably gonna get hate for this.
The show I most looked forward to every week despite wanting to hate it: Re:Zero 2.
I am so sick of maid uniforms. And lolis. And lolis in maid uniforms. And, I’m sorry, but some of the witches are boring (the witch of sloth lounges around and sighs “mendokuse”, how original Rolling Eyes ) And, ugh, the worst witch reveal spoiler[ The Witch. Of LUST. IS A LOLI?! WHY?! Damnit, show, you had enough lolis! 2 other witches are lolis! Lust should have looked old enough to be capable of the feeling!!]

But, Re:Zero captured my attention. The mysteries are compelling, the suffering is real, and I feel that it has genuine respect for most of its characters—Beatrice really gained depth this arc, and I’m looking forward to learning more about what haunts Emilia. Okay, so I laughed at the killer bunnies, but not at Subaru’s pain—Re:Zero may bring out outrageous, sometimes wacky causes of death, but it treats trauma as real, and that’s how it builds an emotional connection to the characters, and a desire to save them, and to tease out the mysteries. I just wish it had less loli assassins (and maids, and witches...)

Overall Best: Deca-Dence: This is the show I was recommending to friends. The episode 2 twist caught me off guard in the best way. I agree with others that it could have balanced it’s human and cyborg characters better, and I felt the pathos of “humans as NPCs” wasn’t properly explored, but it was fun, had two sets of great character designs, and a satisfying finale.

Runners up: Appare-Ranman Relied a bit too much on cliches, but it had adorable characters and a whimsical, comedic “Samurai vs Cowboys in the Wild West” tone (those character designs, though. Oof!) Shampoo, I mean, Xian Jing for this season’s Best Girl!

Fire Force 2: less “lucky lecher” fanservice and more mysteries, plus almost Soul Eater-esque whimsy in its talking animal characters! And Ogun for this season’s Best Boy!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The Witch. Of LUST. IS A LOLI?! WHY?! Damnit, show, you had enough lolis! 2 other witches are lolis! Lust should have looked old enough to be capable of the feeling!!

S-She's not a loli? She's a little short and has a bit of a babyface (because she's not meant to fit the traditional definition of "beauty" despite being the Witch of Lust) but there's a very strong difference between what I just described and literally being a child like Pride. She's also 17 biologically.

Or are we honestly out here implying that every short woman can be categorized as a "loli"? Because that's kinda gross if so, ngl.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
^OK, maybe I need a different image of her, but the way she looks and sounds in this clip (https://youtu.be/4cRUcnalJqM) seems like an anxious child to me, not a 17-year-old. Her body is mostly covered and anime girls faces tend to look young, so I could have gotten the wrong impression. But her voice sounds like a kid? At least to me it does, but she hasn’t had a lot of lines.

I’m willing to admit when I’ve made a mistake, but I wish that a character known as “Lust” would have looked more like Sekhmet or Echidna—obviously more mature looking character designs.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:05 am Reply with quote
Best: Great Pretender. Great show, criminally undermentioned.

Runner-up(s): Deca-dance/Appare-ranman. Both good but not great. I preferred decadence overall, but appareranman was funnier and had a more interesting cast.

Worst: god of highschool. Apparently, this needs the disclaimer that it's the worst show I finished this season. The fights without the heavy supernatural elements were really good but the ones with were mostly noise. I'd recommend just watching a compilation of the fights. I mean, isn't that the defence of this show some people keep bringing up? That viewers shouldn't take the story seriously and just appreciate the fights.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Her body is mostly covered and anime girls faces tend to look young, so I could have gotten the wrong impression. But her voice sounds like a kid? At least to me it does, but she hasn’t had a lot of lines.

Fwiw (not much, coming from me), I wouldn't call her a loli, because she's so overdressed. She's definitely one of those "5 year old who's really an adult <winkwink>" characters, but to me a loli is more overtly sexualized by either their relative lack of clothing or ultra-femmy frilly layered skirts out to here, or both. Lust is swaddled like a mummy, so she lacks that sexualization.

As for that choice for a character named Lust, you'll notice that for reasons not yet revealed (if they ever are), none of the Witches seem to match either their names or their obsession. Like I'd expect Minerva, goddess of wisdom, to be the Witch of Greed for knowledge, and Echidna, mythical mother of monsters like the Sphinx and Cerberus, to be the Witch of Gluttony that created the mabeasts, while Typhon ought to be the Witch of Wrath.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Best: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out - Going into this anime I had misgivings that this might be something I'm dropping pretty quickly like half way through the first episode. That's why you try things - they don't necessarily live up to your expectations. This is a wonderful slice of life with the two protagonists who are obviously ideal for each other and everybody knows it but them. A wonderful good hearted anime that shouldn't be missed.

Runner-up: Lapis Re:Lights - an intriguing scenario with a mash up of idol, magic academy, slice of life and cute girls doing cute things genres. It is a winning combination that leads the viewer to wanting to know more about the world and the adventures of these girls. Often such a jumble of genres ends up being flat or overwrought; other times it results in the obvious lack of command of the genres in question - however in this case it hints at possibly an even greater work on the horizon - hopefully there is a continuation.

Worst: Decca-Dence - It pains me to make this choice but after a barn storming first 4 episodes the anime had shown all its cards and by midway had just given up. This would have been a great 6 episode anime but material was stretched way too thin - it was a rich enough universe - I just don't know what happened.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad most of the reviewers agree that Rent A Girlfriend and God of High School are both garbage.

Also glad so many of them loved Appare Ranman. More people need to watch this show.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Rhykion wrote:
All this hate for God of High School...jeez. It is an action anime, what more do you expect, and ultimately it delivered what an action anime is supposed to. Is the webtoon better? Yeah. Definitely not the worst this season. Shokugeki no Soma S5 anyone? It was clear that the author gave up on the story when the manga came out, we knew this season would be crap.

Best: Re-Zero S2
Runner Up: Railgun S3
Worst: Shokugeki no Soma S5

So basically, an action anime should get good marks because it has good action, and shouldn't bother to even try having a good plot or characters?

Yeah no. Thats not how it works. Most of the fights weren't even that good overall anyway.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
God of High School made it onto so many worst-of lists over Gibiate because of failed expectations. It just hurts way more when something you think is gonna be great is awful. Within five minutes of the first episode of Gibiate you knew you were looking at a dumpster fire, and tempered your expectations accordingly. GOHS on the other hand, was from a popular, hyped up webcomic and had top-tier production values. It sucking as hard as it did was a shock and a disappointment. It's likely going to go down in history as one of anime's biggest missteps.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Her body is mostly covered and anime girls faces tend to look young, so I could have gotten the wrong impression. But her voice sounds like a kid? At least to me it does, but she hasn’t had a lot of lines.

Fwiw (not much, coming from me), I wouldn't call her a loli, because she's so overdressed. She's definitely one of those "5 year old who's really an adult <winkwink>" characters, but to me a loli is more overtly sexualized by either their relative lack of clothing or ultra-femmy frilly layered skirts out to here, or both. Lust is swaddled like a mummy, so she lacks that sexualization.

As for that choice for a character named Lust, you'll notice that for reasons not yet revealed (if they ever are), none of the Witches seem to match either their names or their obsession. Like I'd expect Minerva, goddess of wisdom, to be the Witch of Greed for knowledge, and Echidna, mythical mother of monsters like the Sphinx and Cerberus, to be the Witch of Gluttony that created the mabeasts, while Typhon ought to be the Witch of Wrath.

OK, so I’ve been reading more about the “Lust” character, and apparently I got her all wrong. She’s supposed to be ironically chaste looking, not “lusty” or child-like. I still don’t like some of the character designs in this series, and there are multiple loli characters (Beatrice included).
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:35 am Reply with quote
The worsts
1. The God of High School : I don't know what the hell is going on with the story, I stopped watching it when the woman (forget her name) is proposed by someone to save her family dojo
2. Rent-A-Girlfriend has the most unlikeable protagonist I see in a while
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I missed something with Deca-Dence. I watched the whole thing week-to-week. I didn't freak out early on like many viewers. I guess it just never delivered for me, which is annoying because I was pretty jazzed about it from the beginning. I know that it was trying to take a unique approach to a fairly-common concept, but maybe it just needed more actual world-building to make that sink in. Ultimately, I felt like it was kind of a jumbled mess and was being too cagey about what it revealed to preserve twists. Maybe it needed 24 episodes to properly create and build up everything more smoothly since it was starting from scratch. So many maybes...
Oh, well.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It's been bugging me all season as to the short that Deca-Dence reminded me of. I just remembered, it's The Dragon Dentist. anime#18712
There's a lot of similarities, especially the characters hanging off the side to work. I'm sure it had an influence.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
Best: Major 2nd S2
It's severely underrated, almost to the point where it's a crime. Not only is it a tremendous improvement from S1 in terms of animation, story, and character development, it's one of my favorite sports anime of all time right now.

Runner up: Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater
There may not have been a true plot to this series, but I've enjoyed the comfy adventures of the Breakwater Club every week. No forced drama, no twists near the end, just relaxing fishing all the way through. One of Doga Kobo's best, and a true example of CGDCT done right.

Worst: Ninja Collection
I thought this would be decent for a short 3-minute-an-episode anime. But this series is so nonsensical, so cheap, so stiff...it needs to die immediately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3