• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory Releases Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Anime Film on BD/DVD in Octob

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
How come Philece Sampler isn't reprising Mimi? I mean, it makes sense for Cody to be recast, since he's an adult now, and his voice needed to change, but Sampler is capable of doing adult woman voices. How come she isn't coming back as Mimi even though she played her in all of the Tri movies?

On the other hand, there's no question to be made on why Matt got recast yet again.
RoninX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Mimi, can anyone confirm if the original actors/Tri cast have returned? And man, is it so hard to get Michael Reisz on board? I thought with so much fan demand we’d have a chance to get him back even with interest from the man himself
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
How come Philece Sampler isn't reprising Mimi?

My best guess is possibly the difficulty in getting a quality home-recording setup arranged for Sampler in time for the deadline. Which I believe is the same reason Brian Donovan didn't end up reprising Davis.
That's just my guess though, so who's to say really...

I think Mimi's role in this film is fairly small though, and Higgins is a pretty decent choice for a voice match, so hopefully it won't be too distracting...

RoninX wrote:
Aside from Mimi, can anyone confirm if the original actors/Tri cast have returned? And man, is it so hard to get Michael Reisz on board? I thought with so much fan demand we’d have a chance to get him back even with interest from the man himself

Yeah, pretty much everyone else from Tri came back for this.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
It's such a shame that it is probably because of COVID-19 and how not all of them got the quality home studio set ups done in time before the deadline is why certain voice actors are unable to come back but it's understandable though.

Also, no surprise that he who shall not be named is not coming back and got a new voice actor I have never heard of before replacing him as the new voice for Matt and I am still surprised that Michael Reisz isn't back after expressing interest in returning but that's life.

Now what I am really interested in is whether or not there will be an English dub of the Digimon Adventure reboot that had just came back to air not too long ago.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Good to see some of the cast from Tri (Plus Ken Ichijouji and Wormmon) returning to this film. Even the casting of Nicolas Roye as Matt Ishida replacing Vic Mignogna along with the new castings for Davis, Cody, Yolei, Armadilomon and Hawkmon were also well done.

A bit surprised that Kate Higgins took over as Mimi from Philece Sampler along with Christopher Swindle and Griffin Burns replacing Neil Kaplan and Brian Donovan as Hawkmon and David Montomiya respectively. Either it was union issues or they weren't asked to return but who can say, I guess Union issues could be one factor as Brian Donovan hasn't done ANY anime VO work besides voicing Rock Lee in the Naruto franchise so it's understandable why he didn't come back although Philece Sampler and Neil Kaplan are in the grey area as they have worked on some non-union productions before, particularly Philece.

FireChick wrote:
How come Philece Sampler isn't reprising Mimi? I mean, it makes sense for Cody to be recast, since he's an adult now, and his voice needed to change, but Sampler is capable of doing adult woman voices. How come she isn't coming back as Mimi even though she played her in all of the Tri movies?

On the other hand, there's no question to be made on why Matt got recast yet again.

Who can say either it was scheduling/union issues or she wasn't asked to return, but I think it was the former.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
A bit surprised that Kate Higgins took over as Mimi from Philece Sampler along with Christopher Swindle and Griffin Burns replacing Neil Kaplan and Brian Donovan as Hawkmon and David Montomiya respectively. Either it was union issues or they weren't asked to return but who can say, I guess Union issues could be one factor as Brian Donovan hasn't done ANY anime VO work besides voicing Rock Lee in the Naruto franchise so it's understandable why he didn't come back

https://withthewill.net/threads/derek-stephen-prince-returns-as-ken-veemon-in-last-evolution-kizuna-more-cast-updates-update-brian-donovan-not-davis.23677/#post-372529

Quote:
Update- In an interview with Anime Chronicles (27 minutes in), Brian Donovan was asked about Kizuna, and a few details:
He doesn't do many non-union projects, but he was coming back for Davis.
He was going to speak at the Japanese premiere (we take this to mean the US screening that didn't happen, likely to announce the dub cast.)
An issue with his home studio (after the pandemic shut down traveling, etc.) means they had to recast and he is not Davis in Kizuna.

As for Neil Kaplan...

https://twitter.com/NeKap/status/1270106152974422016

Quote:
Sadly, I just got confirmation that I will NOT be rueprising the role of Hawkmon on the upcoming release. The production company decided to go in another direction. The timing was awful and they just couldn’t find a way to make it work.

I’m sure whoever they got will be okay.

EDIT: Since I see a second tweet linked in a response to you elsewhere...

https://twitter.com/NeKap/status/1285278312596533249

Quote:
Sadly, no. I wanted to. But, the studio and I just couldn’t find a way to make it work due to deadlines and Covid.

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custom Apex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
It's such a shame that it is probably because of COVID-19 and how not all of them got the quality home studio set ups done in time before the deadline is why certain voice actors are unable to come back but it's understandable though.

Also, no surprise that he who shall not be named is not coming back and got a new voice actor I have never heard of before replacing him as the new voice for Matt and I am still surprised that Michael Reisz isn't back after expressing interest in returning but that's life.

Now what I am really interested in is whether or not there will be an English dub of the Digimon Adventure reboot that had just came back to air not too long ago.

Not to break it to you, but are you getting a little ahead of yourself of this?
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Custom Apex wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:

Not to break it to you, but are you getting a little ahead of yourself of this?

You mean about what I have said about the idea of the Digimon Adventure reboot getting an English dub? Just wondering.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad Philece Sampler won't be able to return as Mimi as she was my favorite Digidestined and unless they bring everyone back to dub the reboot, this might end up being the last chance to play Mimi. Though even if they dub the reboot, there's always the possibility that they might go with a brand new cast if it's getting harder to bring all the old cast back together. I really like Kate Higgins though so I'm sure she'll be great as Mimi and at least Sampler got to play her in all six Tri movies. I wish they could have brought back Michael Reisz to play Matt for one last hurrah after how much he and the fans wanted him back but Nicolas Roye is a good choice. I enjoyed him as Mikey in Digimon Fusion and he sounded good in the dub trailer for Kizuna. I'm glad Derek Stephen Prince and Paul St. Peter are back as Ken and Wormmon and I can't wait to hear them again. It feels like I've been waiting for this movie for forever so I can't wait to finally see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1