• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kara no Kyoukai meaning

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote
Kara no Kyoukai translates as "the border of the sky" so how does that become The Garden of Sinners? Or Empty Realm in Chinese? Or Ball Border (?) in Hangul? Or Void Border in Russian? At least the latter are closer in substance to the original.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
There is nothing that says the English title has to be a translation of the Japanese title. In this case, it is an Aniplex show which would indicate that the English title was chosen by the Japanese rather than being a localization by a US company. I remember seeing a review of the show when one of the early movies were released in Japan. The Garden of Sinners was the English title even then. This was years before it was released in the US. I just looked, and The Garden of Sinners was the title Aniplex put on the box when they imported the Japanese Blurays into the US.

I would assume that someone either associated with the source material or with Aniplex decided that The Garden of Sinners would be an appropriate English title for the show. Both the Japanese and English titles are somewhat abstract and do not tell you much about the show. That is entirely appropriate for this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1