• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Gets New TV Anime Reboot in April Featuring Taichi in 5th Grade (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Lots of people claimed to have stopped watching the anime at Tamers simply because they didn't like that Tai and co. weren't involved anymore. If they're tired of Adventure getting milked they have nobody but themselves to blame. They were the ones sending the message to Toei that only Adventure matters.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Man has the anime become creatively bankrupt.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll give the show a chance, but I still don't get why they feel they need to reboot Adventure. Shoot, I'm still a bit upset there is no legal way for me to own the sub version of Adventure in the US.

Blue21 wrote:
Lots of people claimed to have stopped watching the anime at Tamers simply because they didn't like that Tai and co. weren't involved anymore. If they're tired of Adventure getting milked they have nobody but themselves to blame. They were the ones sending the message to Toei that only Adventure matters.

I remember when Tamers started to air, a lot of my friends back then didn't bother to watch because it was no longer about Tai and the others. And it wasn't until they attempted to watch the show [years] did they realize how "OMG Tamers is so good best Digimon season ever!!!" it was. (Note that I am not saying Tamers is a bad show or anything like that - I watched it all the way through when Fox Kids aired it, and I really like it.Second favorite Digimon season)
Heck, on a somewhat related note, there was that one Xros Wars season where people only started to watch it when it was announced that the past seasons' characters were going to show up. Which they did at the final some-odd episodes, iirc.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Is it too much to ask to at least give a V-Tamers OVA. Like, if we're going to milk Taichi give me that.
Freyanne wrote:

I remember when Tamers started to air, a lot of my friends back then didn't bother to watch because it was no longer about Tai and the others. And it wasn't until they attempted to watch the show [years] did they realize how "OMG Tamers is so good best Digimon season ever!!!" it was.

Maybe because I was a huge Power Rangers fan, but the changing of the cast didn't bug me as a kid. In fact I welcomed it because I didn't like the 02 taking attention away from the original kids. So this new cool cast change had me excited.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Man has the anime become creatively bankrupt.

I hate to break it to you, but Digimon has been creatively bankrupt since Tamers ended in 2002.

Anyway, I don't expect this to be any good, but dang would I be happy if it is. The original show had a lot more potential than it could actually meet, which I think is a reasonable litmus test for whether there's anything to be gained by a remake. I don't get why anyone here is asking for more Tamers; Tamers is still great and it had a solid ending. Putting aside Our War Game (and only because Hosoda is a genius who can spin unnecessary sequels into gold), every sequel to Adventure has only subtracted from the original, so be careful what you wish for.

I love Adventure for its phenomenal cast and how big and epic it seemed to me when it first aired, but in hindsight I don't think it's that good (except for anything Hosoda touched). It has a lot of heart, but it's often clunky in execution and has a few too many holes in its story, the kind that make you doubt the writers had enough time to plan things out. It's a million-to-one longshot, but if they can make a show that makes good on the potential of the original, I want to see it.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Casual reminder that every season/series that was not related to Adventure only sold a fraction of what Adventure related series did the japanese Tamers BDs sold less that 02's did even. So it's not too surprising we got to this point... I mean, how many people do you see talking about Appmon or Xros anymore?

It can't actually be worse than Tri at least.

I would hope they would give other seasons a chance with a newer audience. Could strike fire with it. Give another generation love besides the one they keep doing. Its Gamefreak logic that just doesn't make sense to me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
Digimon as a franchise has to be in one heck of a pickle for the producers to decide to reboot Adventure. It fascinates me that while other big Japanese kid franchises like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Precure, and even Yu-Gi-Oh manage to succeed with new seasons with new casts and premises, Digimon's attempts tend to be mixed at best for the little kids. Why is that the case?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Maybe because I was a huge Power Rangers fan, but the changing of the cast didn't bug me as a kid. In fact I welcomed it because I didn't like the 02 taking attention away from the original kids. So this new cool cast change had me excited.

I dunno about that. Power Rangers does the exact same thing with the Mighty Morphin cast. The comic is based on it, the live-action movie was based on it, the fighting game is (mostly) based on it, and the comic. Power Rangers desperately tried to hang onto the same cast as long as they could back in the day. It wasn't until the end of In Space when they finally put an end to that continuity and adopted the Japanese style of each series being it's own standalone thing. At least, if you ignore the series that bring Tommy Laughing And to be fair, I knew a lot of kids who stopped watching around that time. They liked Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, not the newer stuff. I remember when Bulk and Skull finally learn who the Power Rangers secret identities are at the end of In Space, but by then literally zero of the original or even initial replacement cast are left on the team, so it felt kind of pointless that it was all newer characters who they never had much interaction with so the payoff was a huge let down. Plus Bulk and Skull were barely even in In Space to begin with. After that Power Rangers' popularity took a sharp dive and the newer series have never really been popular. Even today they milk the original show as much as they can.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Digimon as a franchise has to be in one heck of a pickle for the producers to decide to reboot Adventure. It fascinates me that while other big Japanese kid franchises like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Precure, and even Yu-Gi-Oh manage to succeed with new seasons with new casts and premises, Digimon's attempts tend to be mixed at best for the little kids. Why is that the case?

I'd say because Digimon always had the weakest merchandise of them. Robots, roleplay and henshin items, card games, and video games.. Pokemon, Sentai, and YGO all excelled in those areas. Digimon.. not so much. IMO Digimon's games were pretty mediocre at best. I know a lot of people love the old Digimon World game as nostalgic, but it was just really unfun to me as a kid, especially the fact your Digimon eventually dies of old age. The card game was just kinda meh compared to YGO, and the pendulum toys, while kinda fun back in the day, were already kind of outdated in an era where Gameboys and other handhelds were popular and offered more value. These types of shows live on their merchandise sales, and Digimon was always lacking compared to other series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 am Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
I’m sick of all the attention Toei gives Adventure, it just like Game Freak with Gen 1 of Pokémon. I wish we could get a sequel to Tamers but I doubt that’s ever going to happen.

As those are my two favorites out of all Digimon seasons, I'd be jumping for joy if they both got loving reboots.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:

I love Adventure for its phenomenal cast and how big and epic it seemed to me when it first aired, but in hindsight I don't think it's that good (except for anything Hosoda touched). It has a lot of heart, but it's often clunky in execution and has a few too many holes in its story, the kind that make you doubt the writers had enough time to plan things out.

I dunno how true it is, but I remember hearing how when Adventure first came out, it was only supposed to have 12 or 13 episodes. The show ended up being more popular than they expected, so they added more episodes. I can believe it if that's true, since something about the first batch of episodes seems different than the rest of the show.

DavetheUsher wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

I dunno about that. Power Rangers does the exact same thing with the Mighty Morphin cast. The comic is based on it, the live-action movie was based on it, the fighting game is (mostly) based on it, and the comic. Power Rangers desperately tried to hang onto the same cast as long as they could back in the day. It wasn't until the end of In Space when they finally put an end to that continuity and adopted the Japanese style of each series being it's own standalone thing. At least, if you ignore the series that bring Tommy Laughing And to be fair, I knew a lot of kids who stopped watching around that time. They liked Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, not the newer stuff. I remember when Bulk and Skull finally learn who the Power Rangers secret identities are at the end of In Space, but by then literally zero of the original or even initial replacement cast are left on the team, so it felt kind of pointless that it was all newer characters who they never had much interaction with so the payoff was a huge let down. Plus Bulk and Skull were barely even in In Space to begin with. After that Power Rangers' popularity took a sharp dive and the newer series have never really been popular. Even today they milk the original show as much as they can.

That was denfinitely true when it came to Power Rangers.
I remember when Power Rangers was the rage, I think I stopped watching sometime during Lost Galaxy. And I won't lie - I did start to watch Power Rangers again when it was announced that Tommy would be back in Dino Thunder. It's good that I did, because I really liked Dino Thunder, and that caused me to not only check out the other Power Rangers series before and after that (SPD is my all-time favorite PR show, even more than Mighty Morphin, quite liked Ninja Storm, and Jungle Fury was too fun), but got me to try and watch the Super Sentai versions of some of the older series (thanks of the "Lost and Found in Translation" episode where the Dino Thunder cast watched an episode of Abaranger, the original Sentai version of the show.)
Hikifroggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
So this Will be a Reboot of the franchise instead of 01?

I Dig it I Just hope they keep the mature themes like they did with the first series and movies instead of what they did with recent TV series...

Now if only someone revived Monster Rancher
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Nickelodeon at least should pick it up, because they already air Power Rangers.

After what happened with Fusion on Nick, I highly doubt it. It did so bad, we got an incomplete Digimon dub for the first time (this is more common with Yu-Gi-Oh spinoffs and is still happening) and Saban's licenses has since reverted back to Toei and Appmon got a late streaming deal on Crunchyroll (most likely as a last resort).

Psajdak wrote:
I think a lot of people rather hoped for a new Dragon Ball instead.

They can just watch the trash that's Dragon Ball Heroes instead, especially when there's a new arc coming up.

bleachj0j wrote:
Maybe because I was a huge Power Rangers fan, but the changing of the cast didn't bug me as a kid.

A bit off-topic but I recall when Power Rangers Megaforce started, a lot of the newer fans complained on Nick's forums about the changed cast because unlike most older fans, they actually liked Samurai and it's cast (and it was a confirmed toy seller at the time) so it really depends on the person.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is not excited because it will be a reboot? I feel like the reboot is unnecessary and it may ruined the OG Digimon 01. Not happy about this.
yannews

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:26 am Reply with quote
It can't actually be worse than Tri at least.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:

Now if only someone revived Monster Rancher

They actually are, a port of the first game for Switch just came out in Japan, I'm praying it makes its way stateside and that more will come of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5