• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Renews License to 1st Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I really hope everyone booed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Why would Tatsunoko do that O_o Evil or Very Mad

I'd love to see Funi, Sentai or Discotek put out a quality CE release of Delta and Frontier so I could put them on my shelf Anime cry

Somer-_- wrote:
As soon as I read what happened I thought the same thing lol
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine anyone except Harmony Gold and maybe Tatsunoko being happy about this. It's difficult to think of any company as abhorred in US fandom as much as Harmony Gold.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 pm Reply with quote
F*** you, Harmony Gold.

So the mass piracy of Macross continues.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Why would Tatsunoko do that O_o Evil or Very Mad

I'd love to see Funi, Sentai or Discotek put out a quality CE release of Delta and Frontier so I could put them on my shelf Anime cry

Somer-_- wrote:
As soon as I read what happened I thought the same thing lol

Worse: apparently the panel went dead silent. If they were thinking this was going to hype people up it backfired.
dcmc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Quote:
During the panel's question-and-answer session, Tommy Yune, Harmony Gold's President of Animation, emphasized that the renewed agreements cover the first Macross series and not the followup projects in the Macross franchise, such as Macross Frontier and Macross Delta. He added that the status of the rights for those later Macross projects is "a separate question that has yet to be resolved."

That's progress. Baby steps of progress, but progress.

Oh,believe me they not gonna resolved it
,cause it would be equal to a suicide for themselves as basically nullify Robotech & all its subsequent "continuity".
geepee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
why are you still a thing,anyway?Just go bankrupt already,HG...
Newtype79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to this deal both Big West and Studio Nue will refuse to bring out Macross to the west.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Once again Harmony Gold screws over the Macross franchise and the anime fandom and will probably end up doing nothing with the IP for foreseeable future.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
All I want is Macross Zero...

Still holding my Macross Plus DVDs tightly.

Robotech is still a thing. There are some American remake comics going on last I checked, and we're still getting the occasional toys and artbooks.

It's a shame that given all the franchise revivals happening, particularly with Gundam, it would've been cool if we got a redone Macross: The Origin anime.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Why would a company that never does anything good hold a panel? I thought their MO was to hide in their dark tower and emanate evil and despair?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that's just great. Not.

Is it remotely possible for Harmony Gold to remaster Robotech in HD video? I understand they had to do substantial alterations in Southern Cross to make it seem like it was set on Earth. Otherwise I don't see why they would pay for a license renewal. Anyone who wants Robotech on DVD probably already has it.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
Anyone who has Macross DVD sets from AnimEigo, don't let go of them..

I still have mine. Sadly, at the time of my purchase back in the day, I didn't realize I was actually supporting HG's <censored>. Silly me just thought I was supporting AnimEigo's Macross over HG's Robotech filth.

DRWii wrote:
Quote:
During the panel's question-and-answer session, Tommy Yune, Harmony Gold's President of Animation, emphasized that the renewed agreements cover the first Macross series and not the followup projects in the Macross franchise, such as Macross Frontier and Macross Delta. He added that the status of the rights for those later Macross projects is "a separate question that has yet to be resolved."

That's progress. Baby steps of progress, but progress.

Do you really thing Studio Nue and Big West will license jack to HG after all of the utter crap they've pulled in screwing those companies out of earning money on their Macross sequels?

curtisd88 wrote:
Apparently the agreement will last for another 35 years. In other words most people that cared about Macross will be old men/women by the time this next license is up. In other words:

I think HG was speaking glibly about their desire to frak Macross fans over for another 35 years rather than them actually having the license for 35 years. HG is being VERY cagey about all of this, leading me to suspect everything is tied up with the success/failure of Sony's Robotech movie.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If only. Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Lawrence Kasdan (writer of The Empire Strikes Back) and even Kawamori himself have tried and failed to make a Robotech/Macross film.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Why would a company that never does anything good hold a panel? I thought their MO was to hide in their dark tower and emanate evil and despair?

I was wondering that too, why spend the time and presumably money, just to announce extending a licence and nothing else?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8