• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
I saw Erwin’s speech a little more cynically then Beckett did. Erwin did call himself a con-man with a slew of lies. He’s leading the charge not only to coordinate but to stop people from deserting which will arguably give you a better chance of surviving then a suicide charge into artillary fire. It’s arguable how much Erwin believes in his speech that the people who continue living will give their lives meaning.

I mean, if he didn't believe in his speech, he probably would've deserted his soldiers and gone to the basement by himself, but in the end he decided to give up on his dream and lead the charge.

Yeah, while he's giving his speech, he's completely apathetic towards life at first, but when you see all his dead comrades behind him, staring at him, you can tell he has a genuine moment of realisation.

If you still don't buy it, I totally get it. I'm quite a cynic myself after all Laughing
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss Wit. I really hope that if we get a new studio taking over, they do it justice.

Based on my observation on Production IG’s recent activities (I mean they are pretty high on the production committee order and the parent company of wit after all), I highly suspect IG might take over the production, and hopefully that is the case, I mean,they do-produced the season 1 and heck, IG and Wit even share the same building! You can’r Get more in-house than that

Finger crossed
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss Wit. I really hope that if we get a new studio taking over, they do it justice.

Based on my observation on Production IG’s recent activities (I mean they are pretty high on the production committee order and the parent company of wit after all), I highly suspect IG might take over the production, and hopefully that is the case, I mean,they do-produced the season 1 and heck, IG and Wit even share the same building! You can’r Get more in-house than that

Finger crossed

That makes sense. As long as JC Staff keeps their grubby fingers off, I'm fine. They downgraded Blood Blockade Battlefront, trashed OPM and I will NOT let them touch this series!

Well...I doubt I could do much...but you get the idea.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I would rather have deen or kyoani do the next season.... maybe shaft.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:

That makes sense. As long as JC Staff keeps their grubby fingers off, I'm fine. They downgraded Blood Blockade Battlefront,...

BONES still animated Blood Blockade Battlefront S2. It was just done by a different staff.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

That makes sense. As long as JC Staff keeps their grubby fingers off, I'm fine. They downgraded Blood Blockade Battlefront,...

BONES still animated Blood Blockade Battlefront S2. It was just done by a different staff.

It was co-produced. Not saying it was bad, but there was definitely a downgrade.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

It was co-produced. Not saying it was bad, but there was definitely a downgrade.

As far as I can tell J.C. Staff is only credited for 3D cooperation and only for 6 episodes. They no more coproduced the series than any other studio that was involved with the production at some point. More pertinent to any difference between the first season and the second was director Rie Matsumoto leaving (among others). Not to say that the studio never matters or that I don’t understand about OPM season 2, but you are really going out of your way to pin anything you can on J.C. Staff. Honestly, pinning everything on a studio does a disservice not only to those who have done good work on productions done at J.C. Staff, but also to the staff who made the first seasons of those shows what they were.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Lord Dcast wrote:

As far as I can tell J.C. Staff is only credited for 3D cooperation and only for 6 episodes. They no more coproduced the series than any other studio that was involved with the production at some point. More pertinent to any difference between the first season and the second was director Rie Matsumoto leaving (among others). Not to say that the studio never matters or that I don’t understand about OPM season 2, but you are really going out of your way to pin anything you can on J.C. Staff. Honestly, pinning everything on a studio does a disservice not only to those who have done good work on productions done at J.C. Staff, but also to the staff who made the first seasons of those shows what they were.

Hm...I assumed they did more.

I retract my statement. Apologies.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
I think Studio 4°C is available. It would be a nice step forward for them in this ever-learning business. The Colossal Titan is mostly CG anyway, and they use a lot of overlay in the action sequences, so it would be a perfect fit, really.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 54:

I may or may not have sobbed like a baby after that ending. Let it be known that Armin Arlert is the true MVP of Attack on Titan. Nothing but respect.

Also, I made this as a joke to cope with the pain, but it still hurts.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 54

These were the best 20 minutes of tv I have watched the whole year.
I cheered every single slice Levi gave to the beast titan. I screamed at my monitor when the armored and colossal titans were defeated.
Poor Armin!!!
He should have used a piece of eren's titan harden skin as a shield to protect himself against the colossal titan fire.

Amazing episode.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I usually just read the reviews for Attack on Titan instead of commenting, but I feel like even I just have to say how fantastic this week's episode was. What a ride.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was going to happen eventually, but it sucks to see Armin go. He was always my favourite. At least he went out like a boss.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
In your review of 54 you mention how some elements of the imminent Titan adversaries’ backstory are controversial. But I found that odd since most of the commentary I’ve seen on the recent revelations of the manga are glowing. So I’m not sure that’s something to worry about. Any “controversy” is insignificant at most and has not been noticed by me, at least.

That being said, this episode was amazing. Certainly one of the best of the series and easily a contender for single most impressive anime episode of 2019 (thus far). Levi’s annihilation of the Beast Titan was well earned and featured some great sequences of dynamic animation. There’s nothing like seeing traditional, hand-drawn animation at its peak. It’s a particular type of thrill that’s hard to replicate in any other art form. I also love the parallelism in Armin and Erwin’s sacrifices. Having two polar opposite characters possess a convergent arc that binds their characters together in a ridiculously epic fashion made for a must-watch experience. When AOT gets it right, it’s simply a marvel. Luckily, it gets things right more often than not.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, wait a sec... while I was in shock about spoiler[Armin... did Erin there SEAL the wall] with his armor? Or should I rewatch the episode? Which I will obviously do twice. Or maybe even ten times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 39