• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect to say this after the first cours, but I would like to see another season of this. I was worried that after the flashback arc it would return to its previous level of quality, but while it never reached the same heights, I'd say the second cours was better than the first and an excellent show. It didn't hurt that there were more authors I recognized, though that's on me if anything Embarassed

Also, if I'm not mistaken, No Longer Human is getting a manga(?) adaptation. So perhaps Dazai will not soon leave the otaku consciousness yet.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Best part was akutagawa passing out after being praised by his senpai heh,

I thought he passed out because he was running on the fumes of his Gift and Dazai nullified it when he touched him. So I wasn't even sure if he registered the praise.

I think this is a series I'd enjoy more the second time through, now that I'm more familiar with the characters and less would fly over my head, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it. That said, I'd be happy to see another season of it.

Nah, I think it's already deactivated right after they defeated Jay Gats... I mean Francis F., and he's had the time to cool off while they were talking with Kyoka. I'd let myself believe those were tears of joy upon finally receiving the words he longed to hear from Dazai (It also gives some context to the last scene of the ending theme, where his tears of blood become normal tears after Dazai patted his head).

That aside, this was a wonderful run and I would definitely tune in to the next season if they ever decided to make one.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Is there any reason why Crunchyroll is not posting the "~episode just launched!" on twitter? The official account is dead quiet about bsd and I'm worried that something is wrong.
Beltane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
The "Dazai, Chuuya, Fifteen Years Old" prequel novel spells out who Randou's partner was: spoiler[It's Paul Verlaine, which makes a lot of sense given their relationship in real life.] I would love to know what happened after Chuuya gained access to those documents that Randou had left behind.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
^I haven't read the manga but that seemed to be the obvious choice to me (well, i did have a short but intense French lyric phase in my youth...) and i was surprised Rebecca didn't mention him at all.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
i was surprised Rebecca didn't mention him at all.

Because I had dismissed him as too obvious. Laughing Well, that's what I get for watching this the day after I taught a mystery novel, I guess. Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
^Well, they had a very complicated relationship IRL, so when there was talk about betrayal, i knew it had to be him. Though i somehow doubt the manga really explored the true nature of their relationship...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm really ignorant of the majority of Great Literature. Like I've never read Fitzgerald, Melville, Hemingway (except Kilimanjaro), Dostoevsky, etc., etc., though I know a fair bit just from osmosis. So I really enjoy these reviews, since I always learn something.

I think what's most impressive about this series to me is that, despite my ignorance, and the fact that I don't know what's going on half the time, or what it all means, I'm still utterly captivated by the characters and the ambiance of it all, and that's in no small part due the the stellar voice acting. I can't recall feeling this involved in a series that's so far over my head before. Very Happy

That said, I've seen enough anime to predict that when Shirase met Chuuya on the cliff, he was going to stab him. I just didn't expect him to have a firing squad backing him up!
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
@Rebecca: Who’s Chigusa? Her name is Higuchi Ichiyou, unless Chigusa is an alias I don’t know of?

Anyway, it was fun finally seeing the introduction of Katai and the reveal of Gin!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
@Rebecca: Who’s Chigusa? Her name is Higuchi Ichiyou, unless Chigusa is an alias I don’t know of?

Oops, no, I meant Higuchi. It's a typo no one (self included!) caught. Sorry about that! I'm bad with names anyway, but I'm definitely worse at self-policing with this ear infection I've got. Crying or Very sad
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 30 review wrote:
Chigusa Higuchi trying to get Gin to call her “onee-san.”

Heh, that was hilarious.

Higuchi having an obsessive crush on Akutagawa is an element of her character that I have no recollection of from the previous seasons. I remember her caring about him, but in a more comradery type way (with maybe a scent of romance), not in this "senpai please notice me" yandere type way. Not that I mind, I was just a bit taken aback by her behaviour because it was so different from how I remembered her and now I'm left wondering if the obsessive crush on Akutagawa part of her character wasn't as prominent in the previous seasons or if this just my awful memory at work (more likely).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 am Reply with quote
^ Well, I don't remember her at all, so either way, you're one up on me. Smile

Even before the subtitles ending with "your--" came up, I was counting down to that steel door either being blown off, or just casually opened like it wasn't locked. I suppose it was a little of both! Still, somehow I was surprised that it was Miyazawa, though he's an obvious choice in retrospect. And he looked pretty badass standing there holding a multi-ton door over his head.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I always really liked about this show was Atsushi and Lucy’s relationship. I really ship those two
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:32 am Reply with quote
Feels like the show is finally back on track after all those romps in Dazai's past.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
Hmmph, I hugely enjoyed episode 31. I think Atsushi's half of the episode was really good and I feel like the show did a good job portraying Atsushi's conflicting emotions on the matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12