• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Netflix Anime Get Home Video Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
There have been a few Netflix anime to get a blu-ray release (Seven Deadly Sins, Knights of Sidonia, Fate/Apocrypha) so I've got to still hold some hope that shows like Devilman Crybaby will eventually.

Unfortunately, I have less hope for more underrated shows like Hisone & Masotan

I think they have a BD release because in the case of those, they are anime made for Japanese TV and Netflix only got the streaming rights. So it was easy for Sentai and Funi go to the Japanese Production Committee for Seven Deadly Sins and Knights of Sidonia and get the disk rights.
Fate/Apocrypha are a Aniplex anime so it is easy to know why they release the BD's.

Now, if we talk about Net anime like Devilman Crybaby made with help of Netflix money, Netflix have allot to say if BD's will be made.

Little Witch Academia is a TV anime but is a Trigger original anime. With Trigger so closely related with Netflix, is more difficult to go to the Production Committee and also the Japanese BD's already have English subs so is more difficult for get BD's rights.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
B: The Beginning is getting a blu-ray release here in the UK. I believe that was one co-funded by Netflix.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it's another publisher who releases them as sometimes Netflix releases their series only on DVD. Stranger Things and their Marvel series got BR releases (Target's BR set for Stranger Things S1 is awesome, designed to look like an old VHS tape) but then others like 13 Reasons Why, Dear White People, Voltron, Trollhunters, etc. only got DVD-only releases. I'd hate to see that happen to their anime as well.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
For those that want physical media of Netflix shows, Japan releases them so it's easy enough to import these shows.

angelmcazares wrote:
Not me. Shiny discs or nothing.

Paying for digital only just seems silly if the intention is to have a backup since it's no more reliable than streaming services. And for a collector, it's obviously not an option.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
so basically small companies can't afford it and big companies don't think physical only rights will return the investment.

some people might wonder "well why don't Netflix just print them by themselves under their own brand?". the thing is even for giant corporations suddenly jumping into a different market is no easy feat, they might have a group of people very skilled at marketing their streaming service but that doesn't automatically make them good at marketing and selling discs, they would need to hire a department of new people who claim to be experienced in that field and try their luck, which seems like a too much trouble over the right to compete with themselves
EiMs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
As far as I know Amazon are not trying to keep these shows as exclusives, just now a trailer for Kokkoku home release has gone up, Welcome to the ballroom is getting a home release. Grimoire Of Zero, Scum's Wish, Made In Abyss and Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress have also had home releases. They just seem to care about the initial broadcast, and then afterwords do not care who gets it and how else it is distributed.

I am not 100% sure but if you read articles where Amazon is licensing anime you would see something like "world wide streaming exclusive " or something like that. So I think Amazon doesn't bother to buy full package streaming rights + home distribution they just
show interest to wordwide streaming lisence.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I am glad someone ask this question as I needed clarity on this matter.

angelmcazares wrote:
I will remind the person asking the question that Funimation and Sentai have released some Netflix and Amazon titles on disc; so, it is not impossible. I also think that Sentai seems more than willing to just get BD rights and nothing more.

That is good to know. I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens to the shows on Netflix once the expiration date has arrive for them, and hope they can get picked up by another company that would release them on home video.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

Little Witch Academia is a TV anime but is a Trigger original anime. With Trigger so closely related with Netflix, is more difficult to go to the Production Committee and also the Japanese BD's already have English subs so is more difficult for get BD's rights.

El Hermano wrote:
For those that want physical media of Netflix shows, Japan releases them so it's easy enough to import these shows.

People who do love Little Witch Academia that much do have an option at least which is good. However the downside to this is that each of the volumes of the LWA Blu-rays (which by the way why is it that some companies in Japan are still doing singles instead of bundles?) in Japan cost around $60 so in total that would cost someone around $480 to own all the volumes (and that is not counting shipping cost). I can see the prices discouraging those to import the show on home video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
All I want... is for Saiki K seasons 2 & 3 to get dubbed. Is that too much to ask for? Neutral

This! My season one sets are lonely and I would much rather have the rest of the series on disc than any other form... Funimation used such cool cover art on the first season too.

I'm somewhat thankful Saiki is so far the only show I'm interested in that Netflix has touched, but I sure as heck don't understand why they decided to take it away from Funi.
mrakai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Viz released Blame!

I expect if it sells well they might go after other properties as well.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This is a serious issue with anime since they often have revised content like fixed animation and uncensored stuff. Hell, Violet Evergarden has extra scenes in a few episodes, and since Netflix never updates their anime to the BD version,it forces people to resort to piracy to get the superior version.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
This is a serious issue with anime since they often have revised content like fixed animation and uncensored stuff. Hell, Violet Evergarden has extra scenes in a few episodes, and since Netflix never updates their anime to the BD version,it forces people to resort to piracy to get the superior version.

no one is forced to resort to piracy, they could import the japanese disc however unpractical and expensive that would be, or you know , just take that L and don't watch it at all. sorry but no one is pointing guns at people in order to make them watch the tv show they already liked
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I have zero interest in paying for streaming services, yet I would throw money down for a LWA home video release at a moment's notice. Apparently Netflix doesn't want my money. The best hope at this point seems to be it getting a UK release.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First, Netflix often does ask for exclusivity across every platform for a period of years -- usually three, I'm told -- just as a normal part of throwing so much money at the title

Why then does Japan 99% of the time get TV broadcast of the same shows and 100% of the time bluray releases 6 months after it airs?

Also it doesn't explain how Sentai and other publishers STILL gets those shows for home media streamed by Netflix such as those produced by Polygon.

Ajin aired 2016 on JP TV and streamed on Netflix that year. Sentai released the blurays in May 2017.

The Blame movie was streamed by Netflix in 2017. Viz released it March 2018

Likewise Fate/Apocrypha streamed on Netflix in 2017. Aniplex released the blurays in 2018

MiloTheFirst wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

no one is forced to resort to piracy, they could import the japanese disc however unpractical and expensive that would be, or you know , just take that L and don't watch it at all. sorry but no one is pointing guns at people in order to make them watch the tv show they already liked

Why not pirate it? Given that there is no option at all for an English release since Netflix never gets the BD version. That means, no english publisher is getting any money either way.

Top Gun wrote:
I have zero interest in paying for streaming services, yet I would throw money down for a LWA home video release at a moment's notice. Apparently Netflix doesn't want my money. The best hope at this point seems to be it getting a UK release.

according to:
anime#18486
It would be Trigger, Toho and Good Smile getting your money. Netflix doesn't want to do with blurays. One of the employees chime in here saying that they get deals specifically because they leave out the home video rights for the TV shows and let someone else deal with it.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:24 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
so basically small companies can't afford it and big companies don't think physical only rights will return the investment.

some people might wonder "well why don't Netflix just print them by themselves under their own brand?". the thing is even for giant corporations suddenly jumping into a different market is no easy feat, they might have a group of people very skilled at marketing their streaming service but that doesn't automatically make them good at marketing and selling discs, they would need to hire a department of new people who claim to be experienced in that field and try their luck, which seems like a too much trouble over the right to compete with themselves

More like big companies don't do it because they want to control every aspect of their property. Big companies desperately want to push for a digital-only future because they can control every aspect of the industry. No more second-hand sales, they control the pricing 100% when their digital storefront is the only place to get it, or their streaming service is the only way you can view it. The ability to remove the product from the customer's library or revoke their access to it whenever they want. We've been seeing it with video games. The XBone originally wanted to be always-online to do that, and Googles new game streaming service is doing it. Big companies are slowly eroding away the pro-consumer market because that's the ideal endgame for them, even if it's something as simple as not wanting a home video release because they want everyone interested in their show to go to their service and look around, and maybe they'll watch other stuff afterwards. Being able to pop in a disk and watch a show or movie completely robs streaming services of that power.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
Well, I do not buy anime on video, since it's almost non-existent where I live (with the exception of movies) due to high prices and lack of demand, so Netflix is one of the few services that provide anime legally and dubbed and I'm happy with that, but I feel bad for those who want the physical copies of their favourite shows. The same can be said of Netflix's original live-action shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3