• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This is the right decision. Believe and support victims.

Vic’s career is over, but he’s only got himself to blame.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I set my browser to only show news pieces when i open ANN to escape all the click bait and nonsense, so i didn´t see the interest piece that started it all. I also don´t follow the non-Japanese side of the industry, meaning that this news article is how i learned of this issue. I want to personally thank Lynzee for publishing that article and whoever else was involved. ANN might publish a lot of bullshit but not on that day. Thank you giving the victims a platform to reveal this predator. And good luck to the mods...

This account is especially worth reading:
https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status/1094729435583037440
It also pretty much answers why abuse victims almost never speak up.

Yep.

It's so disgusting how people are reacting to this really.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ashley Hakker"]
thekingsdinner wrote:
...Who do so many people like you fail understand what the word 'Recast' means in this context? o.O Vic was 'Recast' as in 'Another person was cast in his place'. I'll use it in a sentence;

"Okay, so our movie idea is Saving Private Ryan, but we recast Matt Damon with a Chimpanzee with a machine gun."

Matt Damon is out, Machine Gun Chimpanzee is in. Got it?
I admit, that's an honest mistake I made there, I got the context all wrong. I understand now, sorry.

EDIT: I've edited my message to avoid confusion. No more credit to Funi. I guess I just desperately wanted to see some positivity for once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 pm Reply with quote
If ANN hadn’t signal-boosted the original allegations, would any of this happened? One can only wonder. They’ve talked about how that editorial decision came about when it did, and I’m glad it did. But I’m really thankful for the victims who were brave enough to speak out. That includes Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial. And also for the people in the industry who stood by them and stood with the victims.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Vic has been doing this for years apparently and Funimation did nothing about it. Are you sure you should still support such a company?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
Either Funimation (and others) have 1.) chosen to ignore common knowledge to everyone in the industry, or 2.) decided it was time to participate in our modern-day reenactment of Salem, 1692. Or maybe a little bit of both.

I know this is supposed to be a rhetorical question but, actually, it's the first one.

Funimation had to have known about this for a long time, because damn near everyone in the industry knew. But they likely didn't know every detail, or have a nice organized pile of evidence, as we do now (seriously, did anyone supporting Vic even read that first ANN article from a couple weeks ago?). More importantly, though, this variety of sexual harassment is depressingly common, making it difficult to decide when it's "bad enough" to take action (really, one unambiguous case should be enough, but that's not the world we live in). Without a movement within the fanbase about this specific instance of it, Funimation kicking Vic out would have been a risky move. Could have completely backfired on them. Even with the fans (mostly) behind them on this, well, I surely don't need to tell you that there's going to be some backlash.

Also, please, can we stop with these hyperbolic "witch hunt" comparisons? Besides being ridiculously exaggerated--unlike witches, sexual harassers exist, and the latter are not being killed or, usually, punished by the law in any way--the original witch trials were, um, kind of sexist. You know, because all the "witches" were women? That really doesn't seem like a good choice of metaphor.

Ashabel wrote:
One of the key things to understand about false accusations versus true ones is that false accusations always have a singular source that can be relatively easily traced, as well as very clear benefit for said source. That is why historically false accusations have an incredibly low 3% rate of succeeding in the court of law. Their pattern of behavior is so fundamentally different from an honest testimony about sexual assault that it's pretty much impossible to not notice it.

I don't really have anything to add to this, but I'm legitimately impressed that you were a victim of a false accusation, and still did not get sucked into the backwards narrative that sexual assault almost never happens and false accusations are the main issue. Everyone supporting Vic out of fear that they might be targeted by the nonexistent fake-accusers squad could really learn a thing or two from you.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
So it looks like the majority of the VA community is dropping him like a rancid sandwich.

Meaning he had to have done something to piss them all off.

So many people don't just hate you for no good reason, there has to be a reason.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Speaking as someone who was accused of stalking and sexual harassment by someone in an online RP community and then peer pressured into not sharing my story openly, I picked up the pieces and moved on. I'm still engaged in that RP community and have been doing fine, since there are a lot of trustworthy people who believed me. Meanwhile the person who spread rumors about me has more followers in theory, but is known for drama following her wherever she goes.

One of the key things to understand about false accusations versus true ones is that false accusations always have a singular source that can be relatively easily traced, as well as very clear benefit for said source. That is why historically false accusations have an incredibly low 3% rate of succeeding in the court of law. Their pattern of behavior is so fundamentally different from an honest testimony about sexual assault that it's pretty much impossible to not notice it.

Meanwhile, allegations against Vic have no unified pattern at all. They span a timeline of almost twenty years and come from numerous sources that are both disconnected from each other and have nothing to gain from this. Yes, there are people who tried to claim a conspiracy, but those same people have been using rhetoric and tactics that identify them as connected to a certain movement that made for itself a goal to harass women out of the video game industry. So I would take them with a grain of salt.

This is an excellent point. Like a lot of Internet writers, I've had people make up lies about me similar to yours when they disagreed with my takes, as well as seen it happen to friends. The pattern was that they all specifically started with one (1) person or a small clique with a vendetta. Sure, they might've shared their stories in some private Discord chat or whatever and had those people say stuff like "Oh yeah, s/he seemed like that when s/he said [vaguely related thing you can kinda twist in that way if you squint]," they do their best to make it seem like there's a group of accusations, but it's all in one small community and it can all be traced to one individual with an ax to grind.

Vic has accusers who are both fans and industry personnel, and some completely outside the industry. You might be able to claim that a few of the initial fans speaking out have a vendetta against his opinions on yaoi or whatever (heck, I've seen some people get in on this who I know for a fact are aggressive and dramatic BL fans, because they've directed their rage at me in the past), but this quickly spread way beyond that to unrelated people with their own distinct stories, not just a desperate attempt to hop on someone else's. And their stories both are separate and have their own unique features but also some common ones, like the painful hair-pulling and whispering stuff in women's and girls' ears, that makes it clear that it's the same person with a pattern of behavior spanning decades.

Anyone who truly knows what the Internet outrage cycle looks like, who paid attention to #MeToo and the various true stories vs. the teeny-tiny minority of false ones, knows there's a difference between these things. And I find it bizarre that they'd think Internet writers wouldn't be concerned about false accusations -- when I don't know a single one who hasn't had some rando try to make up some nonsense about him/her/them because they didn't like some article they wrote. It's just that we also know what that looks like and this ain't it, and also that in fact purging the real predators from our midst can protect victimized people from false accusations and harassment from that corner.

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Some people need to steer this bizarre anger and disappointment at FUNi to Vic. No smoke without fire etc countless allegations and now an internal investigation. Monica said it right someone can be fired for inappropriate behaviour without being criminally charged.

I hope this makes Vic reflect on himself and fix up make sure he doesn't do anything ever again. Lastly hopefully the people he has hurt have some peace of mind now.

This whole ordeal is over as far I am concerned now, don't think I'll be following anymore news on this.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Just because Funimation fired him doesn't mean it's all over.
I'll still continue to wait & see what happens next.

Last edited by revolutionotaku on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
Vic has been doing this for years apparently and Funimation did nothing about it. Are you sure you should still support such a company?

Vic has affiliation with Seraphim Digital (Sentai Filmworks' studio), Bang Zoom, Funimation Studios, OkraTron 3000, and some smaller studios like Rooster Teeth, but Funimation is the largest company to take action against Vic. So to place blame on a singular entity, like Funimation, for not doing anything for years, is misplaced.
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
Serious Question: Not trying to troll you; seeing all of these people #StandWithVic has me wondering

What is it about this guy that makes you ride or die? I mean, there's better VAs that have been around as long or longer as Vic; take Crispin Freeman for example. He's voiced some pretty iconic characters, is a big(or was...I dunno if he still does cons. Does he?) figure in anime, isn't a bad looking guy and yet everyone loves him and says he's a truly nice guy who doesn't have an ego. Nor has he been accused by both congoers and industry professionals of inappropriate behavior.

Vic's always going to be iconic for Ed Elric alone but in the last few roles I've heard him in, he's dialed it in basically.( I'm not really a DBZ Fan so I dunno about Broly) but what gets me about this is how people are seriously out to get anyone that talks about crap about VM.

You're assuming people defending Vic are fans of his. I can assure you I am not. I do not even watch dubs. The reason I'm on his side though is because we've seen countless internet outrage mobs ruin lives and careers with no evidence and get away with it, and even when it turns to be false, nobody is held accountable for it and people simply shrug and move on to the next outrage. You're already seeing it in this thread. People who defend Vic are being labeled as crazy people who send death threats, but all the #KickVic people who made attacks and death threats against him and Vic's defenders are either ignored or dismissed as mere jokes and told you can't label them with the actions of a few people. It's a total bad faith double standard when people can label one side as alt-right incels nazis who make violent death threat, but the other side can't be held accountable in the same way.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if they will redo his lines for Broly on home video. I assume they will since they don't want it to affect sales. Plus, it would be better since they can keep things consistent if Broly is in Super later.

It's sad to see how this exploded among the fandom. As I said in another thread, this doesn't change my enjoyment of his performances, with FMA being my favorite anime, but being able to separate the person and work also means that I don't see it as an excuse to ignore personal actions.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Maria

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Right, because if they had an internal investigation and they found no wrong doing on behalf of Vic, then you'd be cheering. Of course I know you would say no, you don't want to appear to be a hypocrite.

That's basically how everyone reacts to any internal investigation. Anytime a police officer is found not-guilty of using excessive lethal force via internal investigation, tons of people call it a farce and obviously bias. No real reason why people wouldn't do it here. The public always gets upset when their preferred outcome doesn't happen. And while it'd be fun to know what their investigation entailed, we wont know unless this goes to court and it's presented as evidence. Internal investigation can mean anything, from something as simple as interviewing one person, to something far more complex like hiring a third-party company to interview all employees and investigate outside the workplace.

Last edited by Sailor Maria on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to just throw this out there...

His kind of activity sparked this, and he has actually gone beyond it imho. People are demanding evidence, the photos are out there. He was being playful? So were the creeps that inspired the above picture.

Roleplay scenario: The girl in the initial picture that sparked this was your kid sister, and it didn't go to twitter but she confided in you after that she didn't feel comfortable with the situation, how would you feel? If you say you wouldn't be at least a little annoyed or upset yourself, I'd call BS.

Kudos to Funi for making this call. As someone else said, if it was any other business or job, he would be fired, and the only difference here is that he is a public figure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15