• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (And Worst) Of 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemwon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh don't give me that. I don't know what anime they're going to talk about or whether they will go into detail. Maybe its one I have seen. Maybe they're just going to say the anime but not specify who/when. Or maybe they will at least start by saying the series instead of "Sousuke kills Gauron (for good)". I assumed they would either have a warning or discuss it in a way that did not majorly spoil it for those who hadn't seen it.

So yeah, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that ANN was a place where I didn't need to constantly be on guard for things that might contain major spoilers.

Agreed. In these forums users are required to not only tag spoilers, but put the series name before spoiler tag so we know WHAT we're about to see. I didn't care about the FMP spoiler, but now Air TV is pretty much ruined for me. Sad
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
For me it doesn't really matter so much as where they go as much as how they get there.

I can understand your frustration, but the titles were in bold and when it says something like "Best Death/Ending" usually you may want to steer clear.

Nice picks guys...I'm in love with Mushi-shi personally, and the rest of the picks were pretty good as well. I can't wait to see the American release of Gurren Lagaan. 2008 is going to be a great year. Anime smile
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi definitely deserved it. I couldn't really understand why something that would be seemingly "boring" is so addictive and engaging. I'm explain my love for Mushishi, except that I truly enjoyed it.

Haruhi was a memorable character, but if there was a girl like her at school I wouldn't like her at all. Thank goodness it's only fiction.

I got spoiled too, thank goodness I wasn't planning on watching Air anyways. (I've been tired of sad series recently)
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
It's posts like these that deter me from visiting ANN... the elitist agenda is just suffocating...

So, that's what you call it now? It's "elitist" to state that anime is a hobby and not either "my life," "my girlfriend," or "something to cover my lonely existense." You don't know how much of an honor that is.

Quote:
Haruhi isn't a stuck-up ..... yeah, she just has high self-esteem and energy, she's the energizer bunny and she's a strong-willed and iron-fisted young lady. Kyon isn't useless. Kyon is the calm and cool, to Haruhi spicy and rough. It's called balance.

Haruhi has no concern for everybody else's opinions. Plus; she's a textbook sociopath. That makes her stuck up. And about Kyon; what's his full name? Even male leads from "visual novels" have more personality and longer names than him.

Quote:
What does The Matrix and Evangelion have to do with Haruhi Suzumiya? Nothing, that's what. Haruhi doesn't have mecha, angst teens and most importantly, a penguin. The Matrix has nothing to do Haruhi either, last I saw, Kyon was definately not Neo.

Now that's the type of argument I expected. It's like you haven't seen Evangelion, The Matrix, or Haruhi; just hopping on the bandwagon in order to feel like you belong to something big. Or maybe you have and the feeling you get from watching something didn't sink in quite yet.

I saw most of Evangelion and ended up sitting through the movies. And to this day I think Gainax needs to burn to the ground; I think even worse about Hideaki Anno. I saw The Matrix: Neo was pretty cool despite starting out as a "nobody." Hell; Neo wasn't even a "textbook nobody." In fact, the movie was pretty good despite being scary at times.

Quote:
It's special in the sense of it being a masterpiece of fluff, enjoyment and just downright fun. It's some Grade-A animation, which has made the studio, Kyoto Animation extremely famous. It's unique in its own right and deserves some respect in the unique degree.

"If you show the same scene of cars blowing up and people getting killed, then of course you'll believe that there's chaos in that part of the world."

Why is "Haruhi's Melancholy" nicknamed "Viral Marketing?" It was everywhere in Japan and became unavoicable. Then it tried to be "everywhere" in the US and everywhere else.

Wasn't it someone from NewType magazine who said that Haruhi couldn't make the top ten in anime videoscan? That person went out of his way.

Despite what anime bloggers and the vocal fanbase say; Haruhi's annoying. Her show is annoying. And the shadow of her show (Lucky*Star) is not only annoying, but YouTube fodder.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:

Agreed. In these forums users are required to not only tag spoilers, but put the series name before spoiler tag so we know WHAT we're about to see. I didn't care about the FMP spoiler, but now Air TV is pretty much ruined for me. Sad

I added a spoiler warning because ultimately even though the sections are clearly marked and all it would take is a glance at the bold text to see what you shouldn't read... well I guess that's not enough for some people.

So it's all spoiler warning'd up.
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac said:
Quote:
even though the sections are clearly marked and all it would take is a glance at the bold text to see what you shouldn't read

Not true. The Gun x Sword revelation came completely out of the blue.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Prinnydood wrote:
Zac said:
Quote:
even though the sections are clearly marked and all it would take is a glance at the bold text to see what you shouldn't read

Not true. The Gun x Sword revelation came completely out of the blue.

Well I fixed it so stop complaining.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this year-end review thoroughly. I consider a good review to be one in which I may not necessarily agree with every single conclusion, but can find no real fault with the process and thinking that went into reaching those conclusions. And by those standards, this was certainly a good review!

JackCox wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
I can't believe that you'd give a show like Haruhi's Melancholy such high marks.

Sticking a self-absorbed b#### in the spotlight along with a useless nobody, mixing up the episode numbers, rip off the Matrix and Evangelion; you have yourself an anime?!

All I remember was the pain Kyon must've felt when Haruhi slammed the back of his head on her desk. Evil or Very Mad

It's great to know I'm not alone, because nothing would give more pleasure then to see Haruhi get slammed on the back of the head.

You know, I find people who have such a morbid obsession with finding excuses for brutalizing women to be creepy as hell. Sorry guys, but a normal well-adjusted male who plans on spending a significant portion of his life outside of prison is not going to respond to that particular scenario by leaping over the desk and pummeling the crap out of a girl during the middle of class. Puzzlement and anger are to be expected, but a sudden irrational attack in response isn't the mark of a man, but the brand of someone who is weak-willed and maybe not entirely sane. Perhaps I simply can't seen the situation the way you do because I'm secure enough with my own masculinity that I don't have to respond to each and every provocation with a lot of adolescent braying and testosterone spraying.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
And to this day I think Gainax needs to burn to the ground.

Are you really this passionate about this, or does this hyperbole apply to the other things you stated your hatred for in this topic? It's a waste of energy to devote this kind of negative emotion toward entertainment.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I am saddened by the lack of mention for Kyo Kara Maoh.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:

You know, I find people who have such a morbid obsession with finding excuses for brutalizing women to be creepy as hell.

What, anime fans tend to be socially maladjusted, bizarrely angry wierdos when it comes to women?! Stop the presses!

Seriously though Tyrenol has this thing where if a woman in an anime is violent toward a man and it's played up for comedy he immediately launches into a diatribe about "misandry" in anime. He figures out a way to work that angle into almost every single one of his posts here.

I guarantee you he will follow up your post with 2000 words about the injustice of it all.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh don't give me that. I don't know what anime they're going to talk about or whether they will go into detail. Maybe its one I have seen. Maybe they're just going to say the anime but not specify who/when. Or maybe they will at least start by saying the series instead of "Sousuke kills Gauron (for good)". I assumed they would either have a warning or discuss it in a way that did not majorly spoil it for those who hadn't seen it.

So yeah, I guess I made the mistake of assuming that ANN was a place where I didn't need to constantly be on guard for things that might contain major spoilers.

I really don't understand people like this.
Do you only watch a show once?

Yeah, I know some people want to read for themselves, but to consider a title RUINED because you find out what happens?
Use your heads. There are only so many options for any story to progress. Honestly after book 7, the only reason I was reading DeathNote was to see spoiler[how Light would die because he was, as Ryuk pointed out in the first ep (so the first book?), a worse mass murderer than anyone he had written in the book. Maybe if it were an older teen/young adult title he could squeak out, but a shonen title? No chance he'd be alive on the last page. He had to pay, the only question was how (& I was waiting for the bolt of lightning or the Elvis ending if all else failed, though I would have been disappointed. He had to go) I would have been shocked for the manga-ka to defy shonen tradition & allow Light to live. The fun in reading it was to see how he was going to pay for his sins.]
Point being, there's no such thing as a spoiler if one is paying attention. Once in awhile one finds an incredible author who can manage not to telegraph the ending, but overall it's the details of the obvious ending that make a title interesting or not. Overall anime & manga are masses entertainment & follow pretty predictable patterns

I think the only titles I watched on their list are DeathNote & Saiunkoku. Wow. I got Paprika a week ago, but haven't watched it. I'm not a big Kon fan, my daughter is so it's more for her. I have Disgaea, but they only mentioned it in passing. I found it lots of fun in an over-the-top campy way.

I'm also waiting for the box set on Haruhi. Like the economy box, not the first box. The fuss over Haruhi is not unlike the fuss over Genshiken & when I finally got the cheap box on that one, I wasn't impressed, so I don't expect to find Haruhi all that. (I preferred Comic Party[Right Stuf not the ADV title I haven't seen] to Genshiken) I am patiently waiting for Sgt Frog & Ouran, but I'm already reading the manga of both so I know I'll enjoy them.
No everyone has to like the mass titles titles. DeathNote is a fun cat-&-mouse. Just because the "emo types at Hot Topic" enjoy it is no reason to knock it. I'm sure Haruhi has its charms. To base liking a title or not on the type of people who do enjoy it is just stupid.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
What, anime fans tend to be socially maladjusted, bizarrely angry wierdos when it comes to women?! Stop the presses!

Seriously though Tyrenol has this thing where if a woman in an anime is violent toward a man and it's played up for comedy he immediately launches into a diatribe about "misandry" in anime. He figures out a way to work that angle into almost every single one of his posts here.

I guarantee you he will follow up your post with 2000 words about the injustice of it all.

Why 2000 when I can calmly explain it in around 30 words?

When someone attacks you, what do you do? Do you fight back? Or will you be on the ground whining?

Since when is it ever a good idea to not fight back?
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
Mushishi, i still have issues with you, i just don't see why you were so great. I watched it twice and it still didn't sync in with me.

The ability to make the audience care about characters that only appear in one episode each is pretty amazing, at least to me.

Dargonxtc wrote:
I am surprised that the opening and closing for Ergo Proxy and the closer for Chevalier were not at least mentioned.

Truly fitting the emotions of their respective series as they are.

Amen to this.

Tyrenol wrote:
I can't believe that you'd give a show like Haruhi's Melancholy such high marks.

Sticking a self-absorbed b#### in the spotlight along with a useless nobody, mixing up the episode numbers, rip off the Matrix and Evangelion; you have yourself an anime?!

All I remember was the pain Kyon must've felt when Haruhi slammed the back of his head on her desk. Evil or Very Mad

"Rips off" the Matrix and Evangelion? Are you dumb? At most it pays homage to them, but I still think that's a huge stretch.

If you have a problem with the fact that people have different opinions from you, I suggest avoiding the internet... Rolling Eyes

UPON READING YOUR FURTHER POSTS: You've now insinuated that someone else is an idiot for now seeing how Haruhi "rips off" the Matrix and Evangelion. I also don't see the "rip off". Please explain so I can take you more seriously...oh, wait...

Tyrenol wrote:
Zac wrote:

Why 2000 when I can calmly explain it in around 30 words?

When someone attacks you, what do you do? Do you fight back? Or will you be on the ground whining?

Since when is it ever a good idea to not fight back?

Never mind. I see you're not to be taken seriously anyway.

Rolling Eyes
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
"Rips off" the Matrix and Evangelion? Are you dumb? At most it pays homage to them, but I still think that's a huge stretch.

Do you know what the difference is between a "homage" and a "rip-off." Isn't a "homage" and a "rip-off" the same thing?

Quote:
UPON READING YOUR FURTHER POSTS: You've now insinuated that someone else is an idiot...

Very Happy_=
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8