• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Why Do Publishers Sometimes Stop Publishing Manga Before They're Finished?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Is hayate the combat butler still getting any new volumes or has viz canceled that as well.

No, it's still going on. It's only a single volume a year though, joining their frequency for Kaze Hikaru. (Note: I don't apply this to things that come out at a snails' pace, like Ooku)
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Let's have a moment of silence for Gintama. And Reborn. And Strawberry 100%. And Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs (which only had five volumes left). And Zatch Bell. And Bastard!!.

Man, Viz used to be bad about this.

Zatch Bell was selling well. It stopped due to the author's falling out with the publisher in Japan and that affected the US release. Was mad on that, as there were only about 5ish volumes to go.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="R. Kasahara"]
Quote:

(ETA: Before anyone asks why [blah] is missing from my list, I'll be editing it over the next few days with any new[s] to me cancelled series mentioned in this thread)

I will go ahead and add to your list. =)

Mobile Suit Gundam Ecole du Ciel Was published up to Volume 9 by Tokyopop, last volume released in 2010.

The Japanese Tankobans go up to 12 volumes, the last one released in Japan in 2011. Would LOVE to have the last 3 volumes of that, even if it means they don't match the first nine, like how Gunnm: Last Order got a change in the last 4 N American volumes.

Thanks for making that list!

Also... wow, multiple folks with forum accounts older than mine on this thread, must be flushing out all the old fans!
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I had the bad luck that most of the titles I purchased from Dark Horse never got completed.

These are some titles that DH released that I would love to finally get finished:
-Seraphic Feather (we got 6 of 11)
-Ghost Talker's Daydream (we got 6 of 10)
-Reiko the Zombie Shop (we got 6 of 11)
-Cannon God Exaxxion (we got 5 of 7)
-3x3 Eyes (this has 40 volumes and is never happening)
-Shadow Star Narutaru (we got 7 of 12)

I'd also like to see Tokyopop's release of Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo (we got 8 of 12), Del Rey/Kodansha's Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei (we got 14 of 30 and it's never happening), ADV's Those Who Hunt Elves (we got 7 of 21), and CPM's Slayers: Super-Explosive Demon Story (we got 7 of 8).

I did get one wish, though! I own all 9 volumes that we got of Urusei Yatsura, and I'm super excited for Viz's upcoming omnibus edition.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The Oh My Goddess Omnibus editions from Dark Horse. They just quit after Vol. 6 after some of us spent quite a lot of money on them. I know they published the rest of the series in standard paperbacks, but it still sucks. I think it might be because Kodansha took back the license, which would be a bit of a shame because Dark Horse has published OMG for about 25 years.
Durdanios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The only unfinished manga on my shelf currently is Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness. Thats for, as far as I know, unknown circumstances with the manga creator. All I really know is that her art style changed drastically, went on hiatus for 8 years without any explanation, came back in June 2011 and put out like... 1-3 new chapters and then went back into hiatus again. And then in January 2015 ANN published an article about Yami no Matsuei launching a big project in 2015 announced in the magazine the manga is published in and... nothing happened. So it still sits unfinished in my bookshelf where I keep my favorite series.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Three manga series on my list that got cut off: Bastard!!, Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, and Rune Soldier (remember ADV Manga?) Of the three, I only hold out the slightest glimmer of hope for PSoH:T.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I find it's the abandoned novels, not manga,that annoys me the most. Twelve Kingdoms. Full Metal Panic. Slayers.

I'm not really a manga reader, but I would ABSOLUTELY shell out for a Twelve Kingdoms rescue/continuation. (I heard the Tokyopop translation was pretty dire, so I never tried tracking those down.) Same goes for Crest/Banner of the Stars. At least Viz has made it through 8 novels and counting of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't forsee Dark Horse ever finishing up Narutaru. They put out 7 out of 12 volumes while screwing with the chapter counts in each volume so the English volume contents don't match with the Japanese volumes. And I can't say if this was the norm or not back then, but Shadow Star also had all the pages flipped to go with the left to right reading order.

I would love to see Dark Horse, or really anyone, do a proper and complete release of Narutaru.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Dark Horse are basically the kings of never finishing series because they only care about Fight Club comics and are too understaffed to prioritize their manga line.

I'm also still salty at Vertical for only half publishing GTO: The Early Years and basically telling people who wanted the other half to go to eBay and buy Tokyopop's awful volumes if they wanted the full story. They're not a bad company but that still hurts, especially because nobody has rescued original GTO and it's languishing in license hell while Kodansha ignores people asking for it on social media...
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd be super stoked for MPD Psycho, Bastard!!!, Guyver, and Fist of the North Star. FotNS is a bit of a shocker for me that it hasn't been picked up again. The games keep getting released here. Maybe because of the length?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I hope someday we find out what the heck ever happened to Seven Seas release of Angel Beats! Heaven’s Door. They put out one volume and then repeatedly and indefinitely delayed the rest until they quietly disappeared from the release schedule altogether. Their site still has a page for volume 1, but Angel Beats! is no longer listed on the series list.

I asked about it at Seven Seas’ booth at AX 2017, and they said they couldn’t talk about it. Maybe someday, they’ll be able to.

This, I was so excited for this one, like it just up and stopped, and they said nothing. Terrible.

-

I guess this article explains why Real Account is omnibus now, but they are close to finishing it at least, since I think its about to end in JPN.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
FotNS is a bit of a shocker for me that it hasn't been picked up again. The games keep getting released here. Maybe because of the length?

Yeah, I'm sure the length is a big reason, but at least now there is a complete, official English translation for FotNS because of eOneBook physical digital release through Kickstarter. I think it'd be awesome if Viz was to license FotNS, use that recent translation, & make it more widely available, especially if Viz was to make it available via the Shonen Jump digital back catalog for subscribers.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Let's have a moment of silence for Gintama. And Reborn. And Strawberry 100%. And Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs (which only had five volumes left). And Zatch Bell. And Bastard!!.

Man, Viz used to be bad about this.

As silly as this sounds, I am forever pissed at VIZ for that. Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs was the one series that I bought every volume within a week of release and boy was I upset when I found out they put it on "indefinite hiatus". It didn't help that the volume they stopped at ended on a cliffhanger. I actually 99.5% stopped buying manga because of that situation since it left a bad taste in my mouth, and I had to go look online to find a summary on how the series ended.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
I’d KILL to see Life back in print!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6