• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. 2 Arcade Game's Opening Movie, 1st Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:22 am Reply with quote
I did a testplay of exvs2 and finally we get notification of when it drops. I was expecting it a lot sooner than we are getting it but I'm happy.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Probably not coming to consoles even in Japan at all (They never released Maxi Boost or Maxi Boost ON to PS4), which is sad because I would love to play this at home. It's the Smash Ultimate of Gundam Vs. titles. Even vanilla VS 2 after a bunch of update would be nice on the PS4.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it's even worth porting most of these titles to consoles.

They might be trying to avoid what happened with Capcom and SF2 titles, those titles being TOO incremental and putting people off with so few changes between releases.

Capcom repeated exactly what they did with those SF2 titles with the SF4 series and it's no big secret that SFV was a sales failure in the long run.

It's probably better long-term software sales NOT to do a release of every title on home consoles.
Not every game franchise can get away with what EA did with Madden for many years...

Home console sales are pretty meager in Japan now. Games have migrated to mobile and we've seen Sony give up development for portables, period. Who knows how much longer Nintendo will bother with their own portable system development? They haven't hit anything like PS2 sales (I think they sold around 20million of those in Japan!) for home consoles in well over a decade. They're considering Nintendo Switch a hit and that's met relatively shallow sales goals.

I will say this for the Gundam Vs titles --
There is a HUGE world of difference between the original Vs title (which was released on GameCube and PlayStation 2) and the later titles that made their appearances on the PS3 and PS4.
The later Vs titles are more spastic. The original Vs game and the Zeta Gundam Vs Gundam titles were more mission-based and recreated moments from the anime.
As frustrating as it can be to play with a GM unit in the setting of the original Gundam, playing with a weaker Gundam against the Unicorn Gundam is just asking to have your butt kicked right away! The capabilities of those suits are wildly uneven.
Then again, I did have a chance to play with the Tallgeese III and did clear the Vs game I have for the PS3 with that suit.

Last edited by GeorgeC on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
They might be trying to avoid what happened with Capcom and SF2 titles, those titles being TOO incremental and putting people off with so few changes between releases.

They just don't want to port the arcade games because they saw the FB port hurt arcade revenue which is where they really bring in the cash from.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FB?

Full Boost -- okay, I see. I haven't played it... I really haven't touched my PS3 (I forget which version of Gundam Vs I have but it was an Asian edition, not the Japanese retail) in over 4 years and I haven't paid attention much to PS4 because I find the current console generation just utterly boring. I really think the whole gaming industry was going downhill the last generation because of the lack of breakout titles that redefined anything and the over-reliance on franchise titles.

I was wondering what you meant.

So arcades are still viable in Japan and parts of Asia but basically dead in the West -- except for amusement parks and bar/arcade chains like Dave & Busters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1