• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Darling in the FRANXX?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
It's amazing that people are zeroing in on the heteronormativity criticism as somehow the only (if not "primary") problem that's been mentioned. The reviews have spent plenty of time talking about how horribly awkward the writing and characters are, as well as plenty of other topics.

The blockheaded approach to gender roles is really just icing on an absolute disaster of a cake. For a while there, I was really convinced that Shinzo Abe pulled a fast one on us the whole time but now I realize the writing is just too clumsy to even function as propaganda.

Even if the discussion of gender and sexuality was at the center of every review, it was pretty much central to the show for a while before it got bored and moved onto aliens or magma or whatever. Plus analyzing that stuff is a lot more interesting than reiterating that, yet again, the show has jumped the shark this week. Please tune in next week for the next shark jumping event.
ecchigas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal wrote:
ANN really hates Darling in the Frankxx, such a pity, just wish they had a better motive for that, all this "heteronormativity" thing is really annoying.

that's my take on ANN too, after reading all their articles on the show
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
It's amazing that people are zeroing in on the heteronormativity criticism as somehow the only (if not "primary") problem that's been mentioned. The reviews have spent plenty of time talking about how horribly awkward the writing and characters are, as well as plenty of other topics.

The blockheaded approach to gender roles is really just icing on an absolute disaster of a cake. For a while there, I was really convinced that Shinzo Abe pulled a fast one on us the whole time but now I realize the writing is just too clumsy to even function as propaganda.

Even if the discussion of gender and sexuality was at the center of every review, it was pretty much central to the show for a while before it got bored and moved onto aliens or magma or whatever. Plus analyzing that stuff is a lot more interesting than reiterating that, yet again, the show has jumped the shark this week. Please tune in next week for the next shark jumping event.
That kind of post already came up in the thread several times and I cannot express how true this is.

"Uugggh, stop with heteronormativity thing already" seems to be the go-to way for Franxx defenders of dismissing ALL the criticism leveled at the show and it's absolutely baffling. Franxx is in my opinion a massive dumpster fire of a show for plenty of reasons that were for the most part adressed by both James and Nick, but reading the comment section you would think that only the potentially "heteronormative" views of the show were being discussed in this column.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
So I already asked once nicely to get off the heteronomativity topic. It was mentioned once in the article. So drop it and debate the rest of the show. There's eough of that argument going on in the review thread.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
Call me dumb/whatever but I really don't understand the obsession with stupid plot points.

Futoshi has an eating disorder... So? How's is looking into this a good option? Set yourself in their world. Supplies are limited, the world is coming to an end but yeah the drama is about finding a humane solution to a simple problem. Sounds like your writing story would be worse. Nonetheless, I understand where you're trying to go but I don't think it was needed/warranted (now, if it were done in a slice of life anime it'd be ok).

The thing about wanting to have kids. This might be more a talk about Japan's dwindling population. This country understand that with a rising China & limited youth their social welfare programs for the elderly won't last. So, why not teach kids that having kids is a good way to protect your country and its economy choices. The Aliens could be superimposed to be the corporate juggernauts trying to make your life miserable buy pushing just work. Just a thought.

Finally, the LGBTQ(...W) problem. What has Ikuno done to make her such an important character? She isn't a protagonist. You make it seem like the show owes her anything because she is the only gay/lesbian character. I think it says more about your need to see more PRIDE representation than her character arc meant. She actually ends up doing amazing work but it seems that you (reviewers) deemed it irrelevant because she didn't get a romantic happy ending (mind you... A lot of special/famous/important heterosexual people through history never got a romantic happy ending either but did a lot of good work for humanity).

Again, I understand your point but put yourselves in their world. Ichigo doesn't care romantically for Ikuno (no girl/guy does). Ichigo only has eyes for Hiro and later (with time) Goro (da real MVP). Ikuno isn't rejected because she's gay she's rejected because other people like other people. Different life different choice (the irony of free will).

Now, the space threat really felt like it came from nowhere but then again if you can believe that a race of super advance beings were living underground then why are space aliens such a turn off? It's anime people. Fun/classic/mecha anime. It doesn't need to solve real life problems (it could help). No, you're the person that can solve real problems by voting for issues that matter.

All in all, keep the good writing/reviews flowing. Is your podcast available for Android device?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ecchigas wrote:
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal wrote:
ANN really hates Darling in the Frankxx, such a pity, just wish they had a better motive for that, all this "heteronormativity" thing is really annoying.

that's my take on ANN too, after reading all their articles on the show

Indeed. That just demonstrates how deeply American political correctness ideology has contaminated journalism that even in when critics review of an East Asian TV show the main issue they have is that the show is not promoting the Western LGBT agenda to a high enough intensity (because there is already plenty of LGBT content in it). By the way, in Japan there is no such thing as a LGBT movement corresponding to the movements we have in Western countries.

In my opinion Darling Franxx was an excellent anime show in the vein of Trigger shows, if one liked shows like Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann this one is the closest thing. To me it's main weakness was the uneven pacing and the excessive referencing of older Gainax material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Are we really reviving this thread after a month of no posts in it?
Vadara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
By the way, in Japan there is no such thing as a LGBT movement corresponding to the movements we have in Western countries.

While it's honestly a waste of time and this topic should be left to die, this is so absolutely insanely wrong I don't even know where to begin with it. This level of sheer ignorance about Japan is just staggering, especially from a supposed Japanophile.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vadara wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
By the way, in Japan there is no such thing as a LGBT movement corresponding to the movements we have in Western countries.

While it's honestly a waste of time and this topic should be left to die, this is so absolutely insanely wrong I don't even know where to begin with it. This level of sheer ignorance about Japan is just staggering, especially from a supposed Japanophile.

This is also right after Jose Cruz responded in another forum thread to an interest article that's Literally About LGBT Movements in Japan, so he really has no excuse for BS-ing on that one.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Are we really reviving this thread after a month of no posts in it?

I'm sorry. I thought the last message was done July 23 not June 23. I had this article saved in my browser because I want it to read it after watching DitF dub (I don't watch subs unless I've to). So apologies on that end.

Not to defend the other guy but liking anime/manga doesn't make you a japanophile. I visited Japan (and had a great time. Going again with friends in 2019) but aside from tech/anime/manga/etc., I didn't really like their norms (a lot of hypocrisy masked in "traditions" to keep women/young down. America has similar stuff so no real need to get to deep on this).

There's an LGBTQ(...) movement but it's no where near the level that you see in the US. It's taboo stuff. Remember this is a very conservative country. Look at China, +40M LGBTQ(...) people live there oppressed for obvious reasons and yet after watching several documentaries many agree that they will turn back straight because of social pressure (family wants them marry, with kids, etc.). Mind you, I'm not saying that this is correct but when you put it on scale to a +1.5B population. Only 3% of the people have this problem. Nothing insane or deemed necessary to make a good show. Japan's numbers should be similar. The US estimates 4.5%. If people don't know that Iran stay within the agreed contract & North Korea never agreed to denuclearization. How is it ok to expect someone to know the ins/outs of LGBT movements anywhere? It isn't cool to hate on LGBT people though. A person is a person. They should've the same rights I have.

Tl;Dr: misread the last reply date. Dub viewer. Anime doesn't make you a japanophile (maybe a animephile). A person is a person and should've the same protections under the law. Sorry
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Let's not bring this whole thing up again.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8