• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Forum Rules 06/29/2018

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trendo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
@ Trendo

**Provocative scene**

Person A: that scene was funny. (OK)
Person B: that scene was racist. (OK)
Person C: I liked how that scene did (some racist thing). (Not OK)
Person D: You're a douche if you liked that scene. (Not OK)
Person E: You're calling the scene racist is because you want to censor something I approve of. (Not OK)

These interpretations would, of course, change depending on the context.
Wait a second....So if i found that scene in persona 5 funny, and someone would say to me that im homophobic, it would not be okay but that depends on the context which can always change....in that case, how do we know when something like that is okay to be called funny or not?
what is with animes that contain black humour that are based on stereotypes in race, gender etc.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Context is everything. Just don't behave like a jerk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mavado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
So... umn... are you saying that ANN shouldn't ban someone for repeatedly saying "gas the Jews?" because if you're saying that, well, I don't think you're gonna get a lot of agreement. And if you're not saying this, why bring up Count Dankula?
Because context matters. Or are you saying that you should be banned because you just said it twice?
Trendo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Therre will be a "strike" system right, otherwise its better to leave some discussion out
Crext

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Crext wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Crext wrote:
Couldn't the guidelines have been edited without using the highly polarizing term of "hate speech" though? I assume the priority is to prevent users from attacking each other on an individual level?

Explain how exactly is "hate speech" a "polarizing" term? How is the concept of not spouting racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, etc, ideologies -even if you do it politely- "polarizing"?

It's a leftwing term that has very well documented cases of abuse. Just look at the Lindsay Shepard case, or Count Dankula, or... There's so much mister. It just didn't work. You can still block people for being discriminating without using the left wing term of hate speech, as it got such negative associations attached.

Ah, Count Dankula, a guy who got in trouble for, quite literally, teaching his dog to "heil Hitler", in a video where he (the person, not the dog) repetitively says to "gas the Jews", and calls his dog a "good wee Nazi!"

I mean I guess there's an argument to be made as to whether this guy should have been outright arrested for this, but ANN won't be arresting people. They'll just be banning people.

So... umn... are you saying that ANN shouldn't ban someone for repeatedly saying "gas the Jews?" because if you're saying that, well, I don't think you're gonna get a lot of agreement. And if you're not saying this, why bring up Count Dankula?

The guy was a communist that wanted to mock Nazis by teaching his girlfriend's dog to answer with a complete fail of a sieg heil. The context matters, or both you and me committed hate speech just now by qouting him. If anything you just broadcasted to the whole world that you can't differentiate between a harmless joke and hate speech. You just made the strongest "you can't define hate" argument possible by doing it by example.

Totheother guy (sitting on phone, so hard to qoute). I gave you names of well known examples where all the evidence is on the table for all to see through a simple youtube search. I might be wrong as I know nothing about this comicgate, so excuse me if I off the mark here, but from the way ypu descriebed it this is feminists who are against the gender terms because they want the women cathegory to remain as a focus group, correct? We actually have tons of those people here as well, but here THEY define hate, meaning you will be branded as sexist if you believe/argue there are more genders. If anything this just is another example of how the definition of hate is controlled by those in power and shifts, meaning it will be abused both ways.
J-Dark Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Because context matters. Or are you saying that you should be banned because you just said it twice?

The context in the example was a nazi teaching his dog to respond to nazi slogans about genocide because he believes in wanting to commit genocide against an entire group of people because that's a core tenant of being a nazi.

Explaining the context the original posted didn't provide and quoting the words of the actual nazi is different from arguing for genocide.

This is the type of logic I'm used to see on a particularly bad 4chan thread.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Earlier Tempest mentioned the idea of a "country where people don't yet know how not to be hateful".
I was being sarcastic. No such country exists.
Mavado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
J-Dark Side wrote:
The context in the example was a nazi teaching his dog to respond to nazi slogans about genocide because he believes in wanting to commit genocide against an entire group of people because that's a core tenant of being a nazi.

Explaining the context the original posted didn't provide and quoting the words of the actual nazi is different from arguing for genocide.

This is the type of logic I'm used to see on a particularly bad 4chan thread.
So anyone who disagrees with you is a nazi, are they?

It's clear that you have no idea what Count Dankula is all about (the guy is a former communist for crying out loud) or why his legal case is such an offense to those who believe in free speech where people are free to mock nazis as they please.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:
Therre will be a "strike" system right, otherwise its better to leave some discussion out

There's a warning system. But extreme behavior will be dealt with immediately, with no warning. Nothing changes here.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
Mavado, J-Dark Side and Crext.

You're derailing the thread. Your discussion about Count Dankula is heading off-topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mavado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Mavado, J-Dark Side and Crext.

You're derailing the thread. Your discussion about Count Dankula is heading off-topic.
Sorry, didn't mean for it to go that way.

It's just that I feel that it's hard to discuss one's concern over the language in these new rules without bringing up specific examples. I've seen far too many use the term "Marginalized people" as a cover to spread blatant anti-white bigotry while dismissing any criticism as "Hate speech" from nazis.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Earlier Tempest mentioned the idea of a "country where people don't yet know how not to be hateful".
I was being sarcastic. No such country exists.

Ah, yeah, in retrospect that should have been obvious, but it was like super late at night when you mentioned that, and so a part of me just wondered if you were just really tired or whatever. And I was really tired when I replied. Sorry.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean for it to go that way.

It's just that I feel that it's hard to discuss one's concern over the language in these new rules without bringing up specific examples. I've seen far too many use the term "Marginalized people" as a cover to spread blatant anti-white bigotry while dismissing any criticism as "Hate speech" from nazis.

Then I guess we're circling back around to the earlier topic, if you're just going to resort back to the fear of white people facing consequences.
Mavado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Then I guess we're circling back around to the earlier topic, if you're just going to resort back to the fear of white people facing consequences.
I'm not afraid of people facing consequences, I just feel they should be equal, to everyone.

No special treatment for any group, no double standards. I'm fine with banning racial slurs in an effort to keep things civil, as long as that also means banning racial slurs against white people.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Don't worry. We do. In my time as moderator easily the most revolting racism has been from a person who had issues with people of Caucasian appearance. In addition they believed that Caucasians had no right to watch anime. We would ban them; they would create new aliases. It was a long runing battle before they gave up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 21