• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Confirms Lost Song Anime Will Debut Outside Japan Later This Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
taurussieben wrote:
I imagine that it is purely a rights question. I don't have a broad knowledge of how the contracts between the anime studios, netflix and the national broadcasters are, but I think they want to reserve the rights to show it first.

It's not a rights issue. It's even been corroborated by interviews/articles that showed up from this outlet a couple weeks ago that Production Committees and Studios are basically begging Netflix to stream their content weekly around the world because they understand how much damage it does to the longevity of the property. I imagine that, and of course the competition aspect, is the reason why they stream stuff weekly within Japan, at the very least. Netflix is the only company here who wants the content dumped all at once. Everyone else involved in making it, and a good number of those consuming it, would prefer it to be available weekly as it airs.

Anyway, I'm a binger, but I don't like the way Netflix does things. It may not actually have a negative impact on a show financially, but it does have a negative impact on the discussion, and that's becoming a more and more important aspect of the community both within Japan and outside of it. If the studios and creators aren't happy with Netflix holding their content, I'm not going to be either.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's not a rights issue. It's even been corroborated by interviews/articles that showed up from this outlet a couple weeks ago that Production Committees and Studios are basically begging Netflix to stream their content weekly around the world because they understand how much damage it does to the longevity of the property. I imagine that, and of course the competition aspect, is the reason why they stream stuff weekly within Japan, at the very least.

Makes sense. I know my interest evaporates when I have to binge something. All 26 episodes of a show drops at once? Well... maybe I'll pass. I mean, technically the show is over, right? So there wont be much meaningful discussion, or a real community aspect. Might as well start that weekly aieing show that gets weekly discussions everywhere from 2ch to Reddit

It would be even worse in Japan. Imagine them holding a show and dropping it right after a big doujinshi convention, or fan event. The wasted buzz and potential, the desperate hope people will still care by the next Comiket, and not move on to more recent and popular series. At least Netflix Japan understands that.

And besides, if binge model is so successful for Netflix, clearly a handful of us lowly, entitled, impatient anime fans pirating the show won't hurt them. After all, we're just a small minority, right? No harm... Rolling Eyes
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Makes sense. I know my interest evaporates when I have to binge something. All 26 episodes of a show drops at once? Well... maybe I'll pass. I mean, technically the show is over, right? So there wont be much meaningful discussion, or a real community aspect. Might as well start that weekly aieing show that gets weekly discussions everywhere from 2ch to Reddit.

Or you could just watch it for your own personal enjoyment. I mean, if the show being over is an incentive for you to not watch it, methinks that you weren’t interested in viewing it in the first place.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Production Committees and Studios are basically begging Netflix to stream their content weekly around the world because they understand how much damage it does to the longevity of the property. I imagine that, and of course the competition aspect, is the reason why they stream stuff weekly within Japan, at the very least. Netflix is the only company here who wants the content dumped all at once. Everyone else involved in making it, and a good number of those consuming it, would prefer it to be available weekly as it airs.

I am also not a fan of Netflix holding hostage shows that air weekly on Japanese tv. But isn't that issue going to disappear if Netflix completely switches to the Devilman Crybaby model, where the shows are exclusive to their service and don't show up on Japanese tv previously?

I hope the hold hostage then binge watch model goes away because it is not good to have creators, studios and fans upset over.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Or you could just watch it for your own personal enjoyment. I mean, if the show being over is an incentive for you to not watch it, methinks that you weren’t interested in viewing it in the first place.

Don't underestimate the community aspect of a medium like this. It drives many a property and a lot of peoples' interest.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It's really annoying that this was promoted like B the Beginning when it's really just Evergarden. Evergarden was announced to exist prior to Netflix's involvement in that show, but Lost Song debuted in a Netflix trailer. It's truly a license masquerading as an original; disappointed with this choice and with the upcoming Baki doing the same thing.

I don't get it. You have Devilman, B, and AICO truly, definitively, all to yourself. Why would any other model make any sense, especially when the eventual plan is to be 100% original content. Licenses expire; it even happened to Arrested Development and now they've only got their in-house produced fourth season of that. It just seems like a waste of money that could be going into actual production of an original show. Is there a scout within company looking for titles in production or something.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Netflix is incapable of learning lol

I think their strategy is just fine. Only entitled anime fans that feel they need everything immediately are complaining. With Netflix releasing over 30 anime titles this year alone there will be plenty of content to keep people occupied. I on the other hand don't mind the wait in addition to many other fans that I know feel the same way too.
Are you only capable of thinking from your own point of view? Other people have different hobbies. Anime is my hobby. I watch 20+ shows a season. I still run out of stuff to watch. Having yet another show to watch weekly only benefits me. But guess what? You wouldn't have to watch it weekly! You could ignore it and watch it when it's all over! But because I'm also a really active member of the anime community, I have to go out of my way to avoid spoilers since other people are watching it weekly (friends in Japan, for example) while Netflix FORCES me to wait.

So my question for you is, Why do you not like the idea of people having the CHOICE to watch how they want? Why does it bother you so much?

Again, it's not about being "entitled" - we're willing to pay for it lol. It's about watching it the way we want, and also about being able to partake in the discussions when they actually matter most. There's basically no room for discussion once an anime has finished airing, because people can just find spoilers and ruin it. Then you have to actively avoid spoilers which is extremely hard if you're a really active person in the anime community.

" I on the other hand don't mind the wait in addition to many other fans that I know feel the same way too."

I don't even understand this statement. Are you trying to make yourself sound superior because you have a few people that agree with your point of view? That's not how the world works lol. Regardless, just because you like to be casual about anime, doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to be casual. More hardcore anime fans like myself want to watch as anime as it's released and we should have that OPTION. Key words about this whole thing is "option" and "Choice". It literally would NOT affect you at all if the shows were released weekly.

Last edited by Kougeru on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Makes sense. I know my interest evaporates when I have to binge something. All 26 episodes of a show drops at once? Well... maybe I'll pass. I mean, technically the show is over, right? So there wont be much meaningful discussion, or a real community aspect. Might as well start that weekly aieing show that gets weekly discussions everywhere from 2ch to Reddit.

Discussing a product is a LARGE part of the enjoyment for millions of people. Look at how big Star Wars fanclubs and such are
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I have a Netflix account. If any of the Netflix shows were being simulcast weekly I'd happily watch them on their platform. It's certainly more comfortable than hunting down fansubs, especially because shows like Fate/Extra are running short on groups willing to work on it. But the binge model doesn't work for me, it took me a while to check on Devilman Crybaby and I haven't had the chance to pick up AICO or B. So I end up watching the shows they hold prisoners illegally as they release in Japan and never revisiting them on their site because they have this stupidly stubborn model -even though they do have series releasing on a weekly basis-.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
It's really annoying that this was promoted like B the Beginning when it's really just Evergarden. Evergarden was announced to exist prior to Netflix's involvement in that show, but Lost Song debuted in a Netflix trailer. It's truly a license masquerading as an original; disappointed with this choice and with the upcoming Baki doing the same thing.

All of their shows are "licenses masquerading as originals". Even the ones that you seem to think are truly their own originals. Devilman Crybaby, B: The Beginning, AICO, etc, those were simply licensed by Netflix. They paid a lot of money for them, but they are still not on the production committee.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

Discussing a product is a LARGE part of the enjoyment for millions of people. Look at how big Star Wars fanclubs and such are

Look, the reason why I even said anything was because I took issue with the tone of the person whom I responded to that acted like somehow, any show that is finished isn’t worth a look simply because of lack of a community aspect (which, let’s be frank, the anime community isn’t all that great anyway). If there’s any show, new or old, that one may find interesting or sounds like something they could enjoy, why can’t they just go and watch it for themselves and determine if they like it or not without having to always check if other people (the community) are okay with you doing so? No matter how popular a series is or how much discussion it gathers, the events/quality of the series will ultimately remain and never change. The community is not the anime, the anime is the anime. One could enhance (or worsen) their enjoyment by participating with the community if they choose to, but one should not let the possibility of lack of discussion on anything discourage them from viewing something that they may otherwise have a good time with.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Look, the reason why I even said anything was because I took issue with the tone of the person whom I responded to that acted like somehow, any show that is finished isn’t worth a look simply because of lack of a community aspect (which, let’s be frank, the anime community isn’t all that great anyway).

I thought their tone was a little off myself, but you don't have the final say on the anime community. If they enjoy talking to other people about anime, let them.

Quote:
If there’s any show, new or old, that one may find interesting or sounds like something they could enjoy, why can’t they just go and watch it for themselves and determine if they like it or not without having to always check if other people (the community) are okay with you doing so? No matter how popular a series is or how much discussion it gathers, the events/quality of the series will ultimately remain and never change. The community is not the anime, the anime is the anime. One could enhance (or worsen) their enjoyment by participating with the community if they choose to, but one should not let the possibility of lack of discussion on anything discourage them from viewing something that they may otherwise have a good time with.

I feel like you are just refusing to look at this from any other perspective. It's great that you can enjoy things without needing to talk to others about them, I'm pretty much the same way, but just as some people most enjoy watching movies in the theater, or listening to music at a concert, some people enjoy watching anime most as a community event. You're trying to assert that the anime, by itself, is the entertainment, which seems understandable from a lot of peoples' viewpoints, but to some people, that's only half of it. It's like eating a sandwich with only bread, or a salad with only lettuce. It's missing something extremely important without that community element.
It's not that you can't enjoy something without other people telling you how to feel about it, that's not it at all, but interacting with people is huge for some fans. I don't think I need to tell you that a lot of people in this community probably don't have a ton of real life friends who they can talk to about their hobby at length, or maybe anything at length. Forcing them to take their already niche hobby that they already have few people to talk to about, and making it even more of a solitary activity is what I think is frustrating for many. They want to engage with others, more than they just want something to watch.

As someone who is into a lot of more niche content, it's regularly a bit sad for me, personally, when I have no one to talk to about something that I just watched, but really love. I'll post on Facebook or Twitter, and maybe get a small bit of conversation, but the seasonal threads is where all discussion is, and if you're watching something that isn't a seasonal anime, or a major perennial hit, it's like shouting into a Desert. I've made my peace with that, and will continue to talk about that stuff regardless, but it's never the most satisfying feeling. Sure, it's still a great show, but, for some people, if there is no one to talk to about something or if no one else cares anymore, what's the point?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

I could, but that would essentially be sacrificing tons of other shows for one. Would I rather watch 26 episodes of one older show or an episode from 26 different shows from the current season that week to stay caught up? Value wise, it makes more sense to pick the latter. I try to watch as much as I can each season. Plus for me, motivation is a big factor. Devilman Crybaby was a slog to get through at only 10 episodes. Now imagine half a season dropped all at the same time, all while you still had to juggle weekly anime. No thanks.

Besides, we've already seen how discussion dries up soon after a series ends. LWA's buzz was during it's Japanese airing. When Netflix dropped the last cour everyone pretty much had already moved on
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
@ relyat08 - I was mainly talking from my own experiences with the community. I’m getting the attitude that the anime community is a perfect place where everyone is happy and friendly when the one I’ve seen is not the case. I was going to put that in my post, but something happened on my end and didn’t check to see if it was there or not. For the most part, it’s fine, but other parts of it on the Internet/real life can be somewhat toxic. If some people never encountered the toxic parts, great. I’m not refusing to look at this from a different perspective and I’m certainly not forcing anybody to make their hobby more solitary than it already is; I’m just saying that people shouldn’t feel discouraged to watch anything simply because it isn’t currently airing. Anybody can create discussion of anything if they put enough effort into it. I try to do that sometimes on some parts of the internet and real life as well. If they don’t want to do that, that’s their choice. It was just an idea.

@ Lord Oink - I get that you try to get as much value as you can in seasons, but if there exists a show that you would really feel like watching, there’s a very likely chance that you will make time for it, no matter how old it is. Not bingeing it all at once, but at your own pace. One old show at a time (not half a season) and still enough room in a schedule to catch up on the weekly anime. It’s possible without sacrificing anything. Also, who do you speak for when you say everyone? I waited for LWA to drop on Netflix and I’ve had discussions with other people at that time. Surely, that’s some people, isn’t it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2