• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kim Kardashian Says Darling in the Franxx's Zero Two Inspired Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Also LMAO @ "appropriating anime," like it's some high and mighty religion and art form, and not a multibillion dollar international industry. That's like saying somebody is "appropriating," say, sitcoms or Marvel movies.

But.. people do say that? White kids aren't allowed to dress as Black Panther, non Asians cosplaying as anime, and etc being cultural appropriation. People argue that stuff all the time.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
EVERYBODY IS A CLOSET OTAKU!!! Laughing

No, I mean, if she is being sincere about it and really does like it, that's very cool. If not and she's only trying to be trendy.....well, whatever. It doesn't affect me in any way. lol

Pink is the way to go

I wanted to dye my own hair pink for a while years back for a Shugo Chara cosplay but....my boss wouldn't let me. Crying or Very sad Laaaaaame.

WAIT A SEC. IF KANAYE WATCHES ANIME TOO, IS HE AWARE OF HIS "BISHIFIED" SELF FROM A FEW YEARS BACK?

SOMEONE BETTER TELL HIM AYE. Laughing
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Chroma wrote:
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
global medium enjoyed by everyone and not just in the realm of basements dwelling nerds, and that’s a great thing.

This is exactly what I'm against, though. Every hobby I've been in that's become a "global medium enjoyed by everyone" has only declined in quality after becoming so popular. I prefer things I like to be ignored or looked down on. I don't expect anyone to understand or agree, but something like a Kardashian promoting their love for a show rubs me the absolute wrong way.

@MJKS
I'm not the most optimistic of people. Something like what was reported here only makes me anxious and upset.

Manga in Japan is a global medium and is enjoyed by everyone. Most anime western fans like are adapted from very popular manga in Japan. For instance, Monster is a manga that millions of Japanese have read and Western anime fans talk about the animation as if it were something obscure.

Now, I don't think Japanese popular culture is going to become super popular in the US soon. The reasons are many. I think that Chinese popular culture might have a bigger shoot in becoming popular in the US due to China's size and economic importance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
[Now, I don't think Japanese popular culture is going to become super popular in the US soon. The reasons are many. I think that Chinese popular culture might have a bigger shoot in becoming popular in the US due to China's size and economic importance.

Well, as it stands right now, the Chinese government has very strict rules on what their entertainment business can and cannot produce. Between that and a culture centered around imitation, it's been a long time since a work of fiction originating in China has actually caught on outside of its borders. The Chinese population is big enough, that it can be financially viable focusing solely on itself anyway.

I mean, look at The Great Wall: That's pretty much the filmmakers in China returning the favor, of sorts, to Hollywood. The way that movie plays out is basically what they think the rest of the world thinks a good movie is like.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
I read on another site that Darling/Franxx is banned in China because of the sexual positions of the pilots?

Is this actually true? Just seems like a weird reason.... Confused
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I read on another site that Darling/Franxx is banned in China because of the sexual positions of the pilots?

Is this actually true? Just seems like a weird reason.... Confused

Their emperor wanted to, or did, ban the letter "N" and several emojis because they had been used to insult him. What constitutes a weird reason for these guys?
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I already gave my thoughts on this in the previous article. My issue now is that she didn't credit the artist. You'd think that was common sense. I can only hope she contacted the artist and was given permission to post it. smh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5