• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese School Opts for Flexible Uniform Code to Support LGBT Students

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Would have been a hell of a lot easier if they just got rid of the school uniform policy and let students wear whatever they want to school.

Expressions of self identity would lead to things like breakdowns of traditional societal norms as well as a birthrate increase. Why would Japan want either of those? Need, sure, but "want"?

Slap a label on them, put them in a box and keep them like that. "You there are san, you are sama, you are kun and you are chan. This is how I see you and this matters. Somehow..." They have a long way to go just to get to the first step. And honestly, isn't this just another way to keep a lid on the concept of true individuality? "You can wear a skirt or pants and you can wear a tie or an ascot. These are chooses we freely give you!".

The bottoms seem to be pretty straight forward but I question the sexuality of an ascot. "What if I don't want either of those neckwear options?"
Denied!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm also a modern woman and I've no idea what this person (I'm having doubts that it's really a woman) is on about. I menstruate for five days a month, and in my experience tampons and other similar products are effective regardless of what clothes I'm wearing. It literally has zero effect on my hygiene. (In fact, changing tampons/etc. is a lot easier when you can use both hands instead of trying to hold your skirt with one.) Urinating is also perfectly possible and comfortable for women wearing pants, considering that you have to pull your underwear down anyway, and also have you ever tried to pee while holding a skirt so it doesn't get into the toilet? Yeah.

It's not a biological reason, it's something that was decided just because. Please explain hakama to me, which is traditionally menswear and yet it's basically a skirt. Or how kimono is a unisex clothing.

The only time skirts are better than pants is during hot, humid summers. Otherwise... nah.
If you doubt the poster is a woman, the why should I believe that you are a woman. As for the Hakama, I understand that it was it was the Western nations who brought, well western clothing to Japan. Europe seems to be one of the main places where skirts as a female garment came from.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
I like this. More options are always welcome. Doesn't look out of place at all.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
SHD wrote:
I'm also a modern woman and I've no idea what this person (I'm having doubts that it's really a woman) is on about. I menstruate for five days a month, and in my experience tampons and other similar products are effective regardless of what clothes I'm wearing. It literally has zero effect on my hygiene. (In fact, changing tampons/etc. is a lot easier when you can use both hands instead of trying to hold your skirt with one.) Urinating is also perfectly possible and comfortable for women wearing pants, considering that you have to pull your underwear down anyway, and also have you ever tried to pee while holding a skirt so it doesn't get into the toilet? Yeah.

It's not a biological reason, it's something that was decided just because. Please explain hakama to me, which is traditionally menswear and yet it's basically a skirt. Or how kimono is a unisex clothing.

The only time skirts are better than pants is during hot, humid summers. Otherwise... nah.
If you doubt the poster is a woman, the why should I believe that you are a woman. As for the Hakama, I understand that it was it was the Western nations who brought, well western clothing to Japan. Europe seems to be one of the main places where skirts as a female garment came from.

That person might be a woman for all I know but then I wonder what kind of modern woman they are that they don't even consider the existence of things like underwear, stockings or oh, female personal hygiene products. What they say might have been true two hundred years ago but not today. Also, why would people in Europe have different biological reasons for developing certain types of clothes than people in say, Asia?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Also, why would people in Europe have different biological reasons for developing certain types of clothes than people in say, Asia?

Assuming that every culture will evolve in very similar ways is one of the mistakes of eurocentrism/colonialism.

Even if there is a logical basis for a cultural outcome, it doesn't mean that it will always happen as its adoption also depends on other cultural, societal and practical factors that may happen in a culture and not another. Basic needs are covered by every culture, conveniences (like seems to be the case for skirts/pants) aren't. Afterall humanity has been going on for quite a while, each region having their series of needs, values and arguments piling up and morphing over time.
So even if in one culture pants are a man thing and skirts a woman thing because of a series of convenience factors for one culture, another one might not attribute such importance to them. Clothes didn't just pop into existence all of a sudden with pre-assigned roles.

In short, men in traditional Japan wear skirts because their culture and religions evolved in a different way and didn't need to put such an emphasis on "pants for men" (which did get pretty ridiculous in Europe since Abrahamic religions do have a clause against crossdressing in the Book of Deuteronomy).

P.S.: as for the woman whose veracity and hygiene you were doubting, please pay attention to the first line
Quote:
As for women, in many ways before modern tampons and sanitary napkins, skirts made much more sense.
Velshtein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
Coup d'État wrote:
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
"Assigned male at birth".

In all seriousness, can you explain to me why you take offense with that term? It means nothing else than someone looked at a newly born baby, saw a penis and went "whelp, that one's a boy". That's it. That's all it means. How is that wrong and or anoying?

Some people find that term useful.

When the term "heterosexual" was coined in 1868, did people take offense in it? I literally don't know, but now I wonder.

I don't find it offensive, just hilarious. You aren't "assigned" male at birth, you're biologically male, it's not some arbitrary standard forced on a baby by the doctor. It's terminology used by those who deny the reality of biological sex.

To postmodernists, reality itself is a social construct.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Would have been a hell of a lot easier if they just got rid of the school uniform policy and let students wear whatever they want to school.

My thoughts as well. Though, this could be a school where having uniformity would make students feel more comfortable, such as some students coming from a more affluent home and would make those of a lower socio-economic background feel uncomfortable with their clothes. Or, the parents could want the structure that they feel uniforms provide.

This. So much this. I grew up with uniforms adopted in secondary. It was a modest school and several students actually enrolled based on scholarship. Uniforms were a blessing. The upper echelon of students could afford jewelry, designer clothes, sports apparel, shoes, tech gadgets, etc. I am not very 'girly' by nature and the point of some of these 'enhanced' features just did not correlate with my identity. Once we got uniforms, I never had to worry about what to wear. There we no 'cliques' devoted to clothing status, and lower-income, scholarship students also did not have to worry about being excluded from social interactions just based on what they wore.

I am far from saying this did not eliminate things like bullying, but it made individuals less of a target in these areas. We could not mix-match uniforms, but in this regard, it offered a bit of relief. However, it should never be an personal goal just to 'fit in' as a form of protection, but in the superficial teenage experience, it definitely provided an environment where students could focus on more important things like studying and just enjoying a peaceful time with friends. Parents did not seem to object to either, but it also exemplified a status of 'private schooling' in an appeasing way.

Now that I am a working adult, it is kind of ironic that my workplace requires uniforms as well. I hate the one for the girls. I would wear the boys' in a heartbeat if I could.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Personally, I'd love to try on a skirt in public.

It's called "Tasting the dog biscuit", and admit it, you've always been secretly curious to do THAT. (Seriously, what is it, they get so excited about them!) Razz

Meaning, it's the natural human instinct to feel incomplete if you can't experience what you see someone else does, and want to try it yourself for the first-person accumulated knowledge.
That doesn't mean you want to make a life commitment to demonstrate your Sensitive Off-Centerism to the World, it just means you've always been curious what skydiving, bungee-jumping, or driving a NASCAR racer is all about either just once, although you wouldn't want to do it for a living.

Perspective means knowing the difference, and there are a lot of people in the world too caught up with their neato selves NOT to.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:

Your categories only exist in your head, you know. In the physical world, things are just things, each different. But this is annoying, so you take "similar" things and group them...

... but the groupings aren't "real", aren't physical. You made them up, and we can -- must -- make them up in any way that serves our purpose. You're the one who's taking your mentally-constructed categories and demanding the world conform, no?
Velshtein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Velshtein wrote:

Your categories only exist in your head, you know. In the physical world, things are just things, each different. But this is annoying, so you take "similar" things and group them...

... but the groupings aren't "real", aren't physical. You made them up, and we can -- must -- make them up in any way that serves our purpose. You're the one who's taking your mentally-constructed categories and demanding the world conform, no?

If you honestly believe that the categories of male and female are not ontologically real and are just made up, then I don't really know what to say. What's next? The earth isn't really revolving around the sun? The world earth isn't round? Secondly, you fail to recognize that mentally constructed categories are made after the fact, not prior to the fact. We use our minds to mentally organize our observations to create hypotheses, theories, models, etc.. That's how inquiry works. Or is that also something you want to reject? If so, then enjoy floating aimlessly in your self created sea of arbitrary beliefs and epistemic nihilism. Postmodernism is nothing but anti-intellectualism attempting to masquerade as something enlightened and insightful.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
That person might be a woman for all I know but then I wonder what kind of modern woman they are that they don't even consider the existence of things like underwear, stockings or oh, female personal hygiene products. What they say might have been true two hundred years ago but not today. Also, why would people in Europe have different biological reasons for developing certain types of clothes than people in say, Asia?
People in Europe made skirts and dresses for woman, and since that is the clothing Japan adopted in the 1800s. So you really have to decide why it happened, based on the west, as Japan just adapted the custom, not decide to make their own traditional clothing gender specific.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
A ridiculous move that serves no point. School uniforms exist to prepare kids for their future jobs where they will, more likely than not, also have to conform to dress codes. Where no amount of dumb progressive propaganda will let you come to work however you please.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
A ridiculous move that serves no point. School uniforms exist to prepare kids for their future jobs where they will, more likely than not, also have to conform to dress codes. Where no amount of dumb progressive propaganda will let you come to work however you please.

I work at a laboratory.
I can wear whatever the fudge I want as long as
1.I use a lab coat while working with chemicals
2.I don't have so much skin exposed that it becomes a safety hazard
Does this count as a dress code that necessitates being prepared for it by wearing an uniform as a teenager?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I work at a laboratory.
I can wear whatever the fudge I want as long as
1.I use a lab coat while working with chemicals
2.I don't have so much skin exposed that it becomes a safety hazard
Does this count as a dress code that necessitates being prepared for it by wearing an uniform as a teenager?
You say that you can wear whatever you want but then your #2 invalidates that claim in no less than two sentences after it. Okay, then.

Dress codes also exist to instill a sense to discipline, which is of course a fundamental value to teach to any future functioning member of society.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
You say that you can wear whatever you want but then your #2 invalidates that claim in no less than two sentences after it. Okay, then.

I was mostly being ironic and you took it that way.
Of course not being allowed to go to work in a swimsuit is the same as wearing an uniform. And had I gone to a school where I had any semblance of choice on what to wear would surely have hurt my chances of working in that lab.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7