• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale Limited Edition Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
I haven't seen SAO, so what is this referring to? Did most fans not like the film?

No, they were aware that crowd reaction was very positive and they were both surprised and impressed by the level of appreciation. Several of them also remarked on their experiences seeing the movie with a foreign crowd; apparently Western crowds tend to be more demonstrative about showing their appreciation in the theater than Japanese crowds are.

The cinema chain's pre-movie clip about not disturbing others takes the Japanese politeness to the "quiet breathing allowed" extreme.

When I saw SAO Ordinal Scale at Toho Cinemas Shinjuku, I laughed out loud when I saw the cinema building in the movie itself and immediately felt embarrassed for making any noise while the rest of the audience remained silent.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Lemonchest wrote:
Review doesn't address the important question: were Asuna's nipples worth the price?

Given that the exposure might not even last a full second, is from the side, and you basically have to pause to get a good view of it, I'd say "not on its own." But Asuna has perennially been one of the most popular female anime characters over the past few years and has only teased nudity before rather than actually showing it, so I can understand why it's considered a huge deal.

that's the understatement of the year. its more or less that to the SAO fanbase, she , sinon and mothers rosario's yuki (for obvious reasons) will be the most popular female characters for the entire series while kazuto's sister/cousin suguha will always be considered to be the most hated. especially during fairy dance (even though i kinda liked it and wouldn't have minded if those two ended as a couple let alone they were actual twin siblings instead of cousins) when the fans' disdain turned into absolute hatred!

Quote:
Just as importantly, the movie also provides a substantial expansion on Kirito and Asuna's romance, which was a major element of the TV series but arguably under-explored. Romance has never been a strong suit of the franchise, but this is one of the few places where the effort to develop that material can really be felt.

you really shouldn't be surprised. the stale mate of that part of the storyline is more or less what makes him a gary stu character. not to mention it empathize the apparent scenario of a psuedo harem series which became even more so with sinon joining that said list after the calibur arc and will probably happen again when the main girl for the alicization arc fawn over him as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:
Just as importantly, the movie also provides a substantial expansion on Kirito and Asuna's romance, which was a major element of the TV series but arguably under-explored. Romance has never been a strong suit of the franchise, but this is one of the few places where the effort to develop that material can really be felt.

you really shouldn't be surprised. the stale mate of that part of the storyline is more or less what makes him a gary stu character. not to mention it empathize the apparent scenario of a psuedo harem series which became even more so with sinon joining that said list after the calibur arc and will probably happen again when the main girl for the alicization arc fawn over him as well.

Indeed. I still remember reading the fanbase's reactions when they saw the scene of Kirito practically proposing to Asuna
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2