• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for the day they make a mech show where the pilot powers up by fudging his (or her) gunpla. I imagine more of the audience could relate.

Last edited by Lemonchest on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The Parasites in Darling in the Franxx are in a society akin to many real life traditional and/or religious ones: sex, or rather, their obvious metaphor for sex, is perfunctory and only for society's benefit. Pleasure and lust are not discussed at all. The only thing the kids have to do is connect to the partner authority figures have designated for them. For the girls this means holding back their emotions--Kokoro told Miku not to fight with her partner because it would affect their connection; Ichigo puts a lot of pressure on herself to restrain her emotions around her crush Hiro and her disappointment that he can't be her partner. Who *you* want as your partner doesn't matter, after all.
Boys are told that their performance is the only thing that matters, which naturally makes them competitive about it, and destroys Hiro's self esteem because, in his society's view, his inability to perform makes him worthless.

In walks 02 who seems to have obvious lust, desire and association between this piloting activity and pleasure. She insists on choosing her own partner, but is denied--so far. She is going to shake up these kids and potentially start a revolt against the adults that have been keeping them all repressed their whole lives.

As an aside, as in the very real societies in which sex is prescribed as perfunctory to benefit the community as strictly an act of procreation, the possibility of same sex couples is completely ignored (and/or discouraged and/or seen as "sinful") because what's the point of non-procreative sex? Just like all the other aspects of how the authorities at large are forcing sex-like activities on the kids in the show to benefit their society, I expect that could probably be challenged in some way during the course of the show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
People here just get really triggered with terms like "heteronormativity" for no reason. Even though it's not even a lie, in the true meaning of the word.

I don't know the origin of the word, but it sounds like some academic term. The only reason it has been bandied about lately, is it is the newest ammo in the PC arsenal. There is no other reason to use it in anime circles.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Wtv wrote:
Ashabel wrote:

I'm honestly becoming fascinated with people's complete insistence with branding Darling in the Franxx as a Trigger show. The complete list of the show's production committee can be easily found online (here is a convenient screenshot), the complete list of the staff is available and even the in-show credits indicate that Trigger have no involvement beyond the series' mecha action.

Did A-1 Pictures deploy some mass brainwashing technique in order to ensure that they're not held responsible regardless of what happens to the show, good or bad? Is Kill la Kill's mind-controlled dystopia our actual reality now? I really want to know.

I know you're right, but Trigger was the one that announced it together with their other projects on an american event. That's why everyone thinks it's a Trigger show. So it's not A-1 to blame, but Trigger themselves.

I'm guessing they thought (correctly) that "from the Studio that made Kill la Kill & TTGL" would sound better than "from the director of the iDOLM@STER."

To be fair, Im@s has some of the best animation out there when it comes to these idol animes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The only reason it has been bandied about lately, is it is the newest ammo in the PC arsenal. There is no other reason to use it in anime circles.

I can think of one: to describe things in anime that are heteronormative.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Ashabel wrote:

I'm honestly becoming fascinated with people's complete insistence with branding Darling in the Franxx as a Trigger show. The complete list of the show's production committee can be easily found online (here is a convenient screenshot), the complete list of the staff is available and even the in-show credits indicate that Trigger have no involvement beyond the series' mecha action.

Did A-1 Pictures deploy some mass brainwashing technique in order to ensure that they're not held responsible regardless of what happens to the show, good or bad? Is Kill la Kill's mind-controlled dystopia our actual reality now? I really want to know.

I know you're right, but Trigger was the one that announced it together with their other projects on an american event. That's why everyone thinks it's a Trigger show. So it's not A-1 to blame, but Trigger themselves.

Trigger not being on the production comittee means nothing, apart from the fact they are not the ones putting up the money. You should learn what a production comittee actually is before making idiotic comments like these.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
kaorv wrote:
One the other hand, its hilarious to see people overreact to it in the forums. You straight guys are still the dominant voice in most communities including anime, no need to get too worked up about this.

The community here at ANN is definitely not that. The culture that has cultivated in these forums tends to be if you have a show that has male targeted fan-service, it is trash and you get attacked for liking it. It's apparently impossible to have a show with fan-service and also be well-written, or acceptable entertainment. If I were to tell people on here that Killing Bites for example is a genuinely good show (just throwing out an example, not my actual thoughts), you better believe they would be all up in arms. Other brands of fan-service is A-OK within this community, such as homosexual fan-service or female targeted fan-service (like Yuri on Ice), but goddamn if it contains erotically framed females for males, it is just degenerate lowest common denominator entertainment. It gets old pretty quickly.

Franxxly (love this pun lol) all of the criticism for this show boils down to 2 points:

1: The show is not EVA and EVA is always the best.
2: This show has fan-service.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
It's not a insult. It's just saying the writers don't consider others sexualities. It doesn't mean straight people are bad, just that writers should be aware that they're not the only kind of people who exist in the world. Because, you know, writers not being able to create different kind of people is a problem.

Yeah, but there comes a point where having to include every possible different viewpoint will get in the way of the story you're trying to tell. There is such a thing as being too detailed, and attempting to throw everything in usually gets in the way of your narrative. At some point you have to choose what parts are important and what are superfluous. You can maybe squeeze some of the superfluous parts in to fill background or establish atmosphere, but generally speaking if its not part of the overall story you're probably better off without it, for story flow purposes if for no other reason. This is especially true for television productions, where time limits are absolute.

Ideally, it would be nice if every television series touched upon some subject you are interested in. But as a practical matter, its not possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

The community here at ANN is definitely not that. The culture that has cultivated in these forums tends to be if you have a show that has male targeted fan-service, it is trash and you get attacked for liking it. It's apparently impossible to have a show with fan-service and also be well-written, or acceptable entertainment. If I were to tell people on here that Killing Bites for example is a genuinely good show (just throwing out an example, not my actual thoughts), you better believe they would be all up in arms.

This is a pretty baffling comment because the Killing Bites example is so easily demonstrable as false by looking at the Killing Bites talkback thread.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Wtv wrote:
Ashabel wrote:

I'm guessing they thought (correctly) that "from the Studio that made Kill la Kill & TTGL" would sound better than "from the director of the iDOLM@STER."

@Ashabel While you are correct that A-1 has produced the episodes thus far, Trigger will be producing some of the episodes (don't know which ones yet) so they are involved beyond just Imaishi's (and some of their animators') contributions, or at least will be. On the matter of not being on the production committee, there are a number of examples of studios not being in the production committee, so Trigger's lack of presence there is not necessarily indicative that they are not involved in the production. Though the director and lead writers are not affiliated with Trigger so in that sense, Trigger is not in the driver's seat so to speak,

@Lemonchest You'd be surprised how many people were attracted by Nishigori's presence (and the other staff he brings with him). His work on the 2011 Idolm@ster series is well regarded among the sakuga community and critics like Nick Creamer on this site. Personally, I'd say Nishigori directing was a bigger draw than Trigger, though he was far from the only factor.

At the very least I'm with Nick and Micchy on hoping 02 stays domme. I'm not touching anything else here.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
kaorv wrote:
One the other hand, its hilarious to see people overreact to it in the forums. You straight guys are still the dominant voice in most communities including anime, no need to get too worked up about this.

The community here at ANN is definitely not that. The culture that has cultivated in these forums tends to be if you have a show that has male targeted fan-service, it is trash and you get attacked for liking it. It's apparently impossible to have a show with fan-service and also be well-written, or acceptable entertainment. If I were to tell people on here that Killing Bites for example is a genuinely good show (just throwing out an example, not my actual thoughts), you better believe they would be all up in arms. Other brands of fan-service is A-OK within this community, such as homosexual fan-service or female targeted fan-service (like Yuri on Ice), but goddamn if it contains erotically framed females for males, it is just degenerate lowest common denominator entertainment. It gets old pretty quickly.

Franxxly (love this pun lol) all of the criticism for this show boils down to 2 points:

1: The show is not EVA and EVA is always the best.
2: This show has fan-service.

This thread (& most like it) tends to be the opposite, but whatever works for you. Now where I'd agree there is a issue is that this discussion is ultimately just a lot of "we don't know what will happen yet, but we're talking about it anyway." But that's the nature of the beast with discussing simulcast anime, sadly - a whole lot of conjecture & theorizing with nothing to show for it until the it's over, by which time nobody cares.
Simplo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Most surveys indicate that the amount of not-hetero people are between 3-4%. There are twelve (don't lynch me if I missed someone) teens in the show (Naomi included). That means that even one queer character would be a statistical over-representation. Staffers are acting like non-hetero people are a significant part of population but in reality, its only one out of ~30 people.

It seems like some people would like shows to be a sort of twisted theme park with must-includes like queer couple, a Mary Sue etc. making the cast into a ''majority made of minorities'' but that is not real life. That is forced design and it triggers sort of uncanny valley effect (at least for me).
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

@Lemonchest You'd be surprised how many people were attracted by Nishigori's presence (and the other staff he brings with him). His work on the 2011 Idolm@ster series is well regarded among the sakuga community and critics like Nick Creamer on this site. Personally, I'd say Nishigori directing was a bigger draw than Trigger, though he was far from the only factor.

Sure & to be fair to him he worked on several Gainax shows - probably why he was able to get Imaishi et al on board to begin with. But would peoples first response to guys flying mechs by fondling girls asses have still been "what does it all mean?" instead of "that's my fetish!" if Trigger's name hadn't become so firmly attached to it? I don't think so.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Let me amend my earlier statement to point out that I find the idea that critics using the term heteronormative intended to use the term to attack or insult the show or its audience unconvincing, as the reviewers who actually used the word heteronormative in the preview guide were also the ones who gave the show the highest scores among the reviewers (both 4.5 of 5, and another who mentioned such concerns but didn't use the term also gave it a 4 out of 5).
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Simplo wrote:
Most surveys indicate that the amount of not-hetero people are between 3-4%. There are twelve (don't lynch me if I missed someone) teens in the show (Naomi included). That means that even one queer character would be a statistical over-representation. Staffers are acting like non-hetero people are a significant part of population but in reality, its only one out of ~30 people.

It seems like some people would like shows to be a sort of twisted theme park with must-includes like queer couple, a Mary Sue etc. making the cast into a ''majority made of minorities'' but that is not real life. That is forced design and it triggers sort of uncanny valley effect (at least for me).

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but isn't that the point? Yes, LGBTQ+/black/hispanic people in real life aren't majority factors in a lot of Western/Eastern countries, but the fact that the medium of anime is fictional brings about the idea that those groups of people can see themselves represented in shows and works, unbounded by the realism of real life.

We're talking about a mecha anime that presents itself with not-so-subverted themes of sex and gender roles in society. Is it really that far-fetched, in an already fictional world, to want or have representation of groups that aren't just heteronormative?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10