• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card English Dub Adds Natalie Hoover, Mikaela Krantz, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
While I personally would have preferred the Bang Zoom cast, I personally enjoyed the Funimation dub of Clear Card as a whole. I thought Monica Rial was acceptable as Sakura. Most of the rest of the cast was pretty good to me. Kero, Touya, and Yue were the best performances of the new dub so far to me. Eriol with an actual British accent will take some time to get used to but it makes senses as he's from England. The only voice artist I wasn't quite sold on yet was Syaoran's dub voice artist. His dub voice artist was fine for the most part but there were some moments where it did feel like he was trying too hard to sound younger and I thought his performance was better when he was just speaking naturally. But I think he can grow into the role eventually and overall I enjoyed the dub episode.
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well to my surprise I guessed right about Natalie Hoover being cast as Tomoyo in the previous thread. I'm glad its not all Tsubasa casting homages.

kh_gal wrote:

...literally except for Sakura and Syaoran!! They are horribly, horribly miscast, voice-wise. Monica and Jason sound like adults trying to be kids. I mean their in their 40s!

Why bring up age? The Japanese actors are even older, age is not a problem and Monica Rial has been voicing children for what, 20 years? Yeah its not realistic but this is anime, Sakura Tange doesn't sound like a real little girl to me either.
Now Jason Liebrecht is fair not because of age but simply because its so different from the Japanese's take so it will take some getting used to for sure. I thought a female would voice him.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
The answer is surprisingly simple. Caitlin confirmed on twitter earlier today that she cast Monica and Jason as an homage to Tsubasa.

that there i can definitely buy. however the guys from CLAMP also liked the dub versions of XXholic and tsubasa so i wouldn't be surprised if they had any legwork on keeping that cast for the new series. however the criticisms on jason is kinda 50/50. for one thing syaoran (who is also the same way in the manga) is much tamer in the clear card arc then how he acted in the original series. so you really cant blame them for having him voice the same way like in tsubasa.

also sakura is a MOE character so its more or less obvious that the series would have rial as the main point since it would be highly unlikely they would be able to get miss seph or miss daniels (dxd's asia) to voice sakura.

however if i recalled rial voice tomoyo in tsubasa and it was a different VA that did sakura. definitely a surprise that it was the reversal.

though what they should have did was , that if he is even still voice acting was to get the VA for negima's chamo to voice as kero. that would definitely be a gas to behold.

Levonr wrote:
I thought a female would voice him.

highly unlikely if CLAMP had any legroom in the dub casting. though if their were no options, the only female VA i could see that happening would be ryan renolds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

however if i recalled rial voice tomoyo in tsubasa and it was a different VA that did sakura. definitely a surprise that it was the reversal.

Tomoyo was voiced by Amber Cotton in the dub of the Tsubasa TV series and she was later replaced by Trina Nishimura in the OVAs and Rial was Sakura.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:52 am Reply with quote
well i definitely didn't see the ovas, but yea. if many dub watchers saw tsubasa for the first time, they wouldn't believe it either since sakura from tsubasa doesn't even sound like rial at all. especially if they watched other moe characters from other series she voiced over the years.

however it also proves my point. whether its sakura or konoka, the funi/adv crew will always use that specific VA to voice a moe like character 100% of the time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
To me this dub suffers from the same problem as the Sealed Card dub with Sakura's and Tomoyo's voices coming off as very squeaky/nasal. Natalie Hoover sounds like she's whispering her lines or out of breath at times.

Enjoyed Justin Briner's Yukita/Yue and Clifford Chaplin's Toya is fine. Hope Kero's true form shows up at some point so we can hear him.

Not sure how long the Clear Card arc is going to be, but if Funimation acquires the rights and redubs the original series, I'm not sure I could listen to these voices for 70 episodes.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
While the cast is fine, there's definitely some growing pains occurring in the first episode.
Kero's delivery is a little clumsey and Tomoyo is a bit too soft at times but they ARE in there! You can tell after a short while they're going to be great so we'll see in a few episodes how things go, I'm very optimistic with the supporting cast. It's a bit bizarre they were so adamant on bringing back their Tsubasa leads but recast everyone else who we're just as suited for their roles. (not that I'm complaining, I love fresh blood!)

Sakura is fine enough. When Monica is talking quietly and softly she excels, it's when she's loud or fighting with Toya that the shrillness takes over and it begins to grate a little. She's a suitable fit, she really does sort of feel comparable to Stephanie Sheh in her role as Usagi.

I'm still of the opinion Jason Liebrecht is miscast. His voice would be much more well suited to a character like Yukito in my opinion. Maybe there's room to surprise me, but as I anticipated the young boy voice overwhelms Shaoran's character as a whole. Their loyalty is touching and I feel for Mr. Liebrecht, but there'd be a better fit here. It's a glaring hiccup on a pretty good cast. Or let him have his moment on the simudub and give the character a better fit on the physical release D8

Last edited by Kusakabe on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
But as much as I love Monica and Jason they just don't deserve it. They've been so many leads already give it to someone else.

That's not how it works. And you're severely overstating how prolific Jason Liebrecht is. You could count the number of leading roles he's done in the last few years on one hand.
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
Gotta echo my disappointment with the two main leads. I love both Monica and Jason as actors and have high respect for them, I just don’t think they fit Sakura and Syaoran. It was really jarring that the supporting cast was quite well done but the two main leads seemed miscast. Casting them simply as a homage to Tsubasa (where the characters were older) just seems like a mistake and fanservice where it isn’t necessarily appropriate.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Hearing my fears for the two main leads be more or less affirmed is such a huge bummer to me as a fan who's been a fan since she's been a kid. Loyalty is fine and good and Monica and Jason have been good in other roles, but these ones are just so sacred to me and to hear that they just didn't hit the mark disappoints to no end. I'll always love the series and its been a pleasure being able to hear Tange and Kumai in these roles again, so I guess I'll just have to live with them being the only definitive VAs for these roles.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
After listening again, call me crazy, but I'm wondering if Jill Harris (Chiharu) would be a better fit for Sakura and Dani Chambers (Naoko) for Tomoyo.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Kusakabe wrote:
While the cast is fine, there's definitely some growing pains occurring in the first episode.
Kero's delivery is a little clumsey and Tomoyo is a bit too soft at times but they ARE in there! You can tell after a short while they're going to be great so we'll see in a few episodes how things go, I'm very optimistic with the supporting cast. It's a bit bizarre they were so adamant on bringing back their Tsubasa leads but recast everyone else who we're just as suited for their roles. (not that I'm complaining, I love fresh blood!)

Sakura is fine enough. When Monica is talking quietly and softly she excels, it's when she's loud or fighting with Toya that the shrillness takes over and it begins to grate a little. She's a suitable fit, she really does sort of feel comparable to Stephanie Sheh in her role as Usagi.

I'm still of the opinion Jason Liebrecht is miscast. His voice would be much more well suited to a character like Yukito in my opinion. Maybe there's room to surprise me, but as I anticipated the young boy voice overwhelms Shaoran's character as a whole. Their loyalty is touching and I feel for Mr. Liebrecht, but there'd be a better fit here. It's a glaring hiccup on a pretty good cast. Or let him have his moment on the simudub and give the character a better fit on the physical release D8

HA! HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

don't get me wrong. rial is no slouch when it comes to soft vocal tones for moe characters, but i don't think they'll be any western female VA is even close to miss seph. the only VA that i know that's close is the VA that voiced highschool dxd's Asia.

also people said the same thing when mignona was voiced as tamaki and bosch voiced renton and later on, they did really well in those "miscast" roles. also its as the other forum users said, both rial and jason did both those characters in the tsubasa spinoff so it was more or less a gimme. especially since the ADR Director have more or less confirmed that they was chosen in homage to that series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2