• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Jason Liebrecht Return for Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I love these two, I really do, but I was kinda hoping fresher talent would voice these characters. Were fans of Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and Cardcaptor Sakura hoping for this? As far as I understand it, Sakura and Syaoran aren't exactly the same people in both shows, and the seiyuu aren't the same .

They aren't. Tange was MIA from the voice scene for almost a decade and Kumai sure as hell didn't play Li in TRC. I think it was Miyu Irino who did? I understand why Funi's doing but its still dissapointing. Clear Card is a sequel to CCS, not TSC. While Monica was okay in TRC, Sakura is much younger here and the whole thing just feels like another typecast. Should've been a fresh VA to actually nail the fact she's still a kid.

I wish another Burst Angel would happen but I guess those days are gone with how the VA pools are and how much FuniRoll takes on nowadays. The show might've been a mess but that casting was absolutely amazing. You wouldn't put Rial as Jo but damn, she absolutely knocked it out of the park.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
My favorite voice actress voicing one of my childhood's most cherished characters!? AWESOME!

(Sakura was my first anime crush, BTW. I was like, what, 8?)

Say what you want about Monica Rial, but at least she's not Carly McKillip. Gives me shivers just remembering that "Avalon" crap...
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree this was a miscast. Understandable, but poor choice unfortunately. I cannot see a young Sakura being voiced by Monica at all. And then Jason, who is great, but I can’t imagine pulling off a young kid. Still maybe we just gotta wait and hear. They’re obviously confident in them to cast them again.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly all this salt makes me want to watch the dub even more.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with Monica Rial, its Jason Liebrecht that I'm worried about. I mean I'm a big fan of him and he has incredible range but this young of a boy is really pushing it.
Transformers03

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, let's be fair to Monica.
I will admit that she wasn't my ideal choose for Sakura, a character who I (and a lot of other people) hold very dearly. However I still congratulated her on Twitter, and she has shown nothing but enthusiasm for the chance to play the role. Her Likes and Replies have convince me that she probably is best for the role, and she has been nothing but a delight to response via social media when the announcement became official. She has completely won me over for her kindness, and it isn't fair to judge before the official product is out.
As an advocate of dubs, not only will I be giving this dub a fair try, but I will be rooting for them all the way.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Too bad they’re not redubbing the original anime, which had horrible luck with localization, and is in desperate need of a new one. The Nelvana dub (not the hacked KidsWB version) had decent voice acting, but is very much a product of its time. The Animax dub is uncut, but the voice acting is so weak (minus Andrea Kwan as Sakura and Candice Moore as Syaoran), it’s not worth watching unless you absolutely cannot tolerate subs. The show deserves better.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
A show of this status should have called for a closed audition within Funimation. One of the most highly anticipated shows of this year and it feels like they just gave them the roles because they'd played alternate versions of them previously. Caitlin Glass is a good ADR director so maybe she can get a better performance out of them.
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura has recently got a 4K remaster on blu-ray in Japan, would be nice if that was released in the US with a new FUNimation cast. Not that I see it happening but I can dream. I hate the edited US TV dub and the Asian TV dub. I don't like the NIS America blu-ray because they didn't include the Japanese 5.1 mix, it was stereo only which is a shame because the 5.1 mix was wonderful. Would love a new ultimate release.

Chris Cason voiced Kero in Tsubasa in episode 44. I really don't remember it however, been years since I've seen Tsubasa. I'd prefer a female voice Kero, like my favorite VA Luci Christian.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
My favorite voice actress voicing one of my childhood's most cherished characters!? AWESOME!

Say what you want about Monica Rial, but at least she's not Carly McKillip. Gives me shivers just remembering that "Avalon" crap...

You got to cut McKillip some slack, she was about 9 years old at the time and the script writing was a mess trying to make Syaoran the MC in something he clearly wasnt.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

You got to cut McKillip some slack, she was about 9 years old at the time and the script writing was a mess trying to make Syaoran the MC in something he clearly wasnt.

Carly McKillip was 11, I believe, and it wasn't the Nelvana's scripts that tried to make Syaoran the MC, it was the cuts and change in episode order done by Kids WB in the US. Anyone who watched the show in Australia, UK or Canada got the episodes in the correct order.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic!
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Carly McKillip wasn't bad, but I don't think she would work for a faithful dub Sakura the way she worked for the Nelvana version. She suited the more tomboyish Sakura Avalon but Sakura Kinomoto is a cutesy girly girl through and through.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I hate the edited US TV dub and the Asian TV dub. I don't like the NIS America blu-ray because they didn't include the Japanese 5.1 mix, it was stereo only which is a shame because the 5.1 mix was wonderful. Would love a new ultimate release.

The NIS America release also had a new sub translation which ruined a pretty big moment in two of the episodes due to their switching of the characters' names when spoken. As weak as the Animax dub was (though i personally thought it was decent, name pronunciations aside), it's actually more accurate than NISA's subs.

If any second rescue happens, a new sub translation is needed and if not then just reuse what Pioneer/Geneon had (like Discotek did for the first film).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with this. The Tsubasa dub wasn't perfect, but I didn't think it was bad and I could imagine a good performance coming out for this as well. Not perfect, but still fine enough.

I'll reserve full judgement for when I can finally listen to it. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5