• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Invasion of the Old-Timers, Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, I don't even like the kink, but the first thing I thought when Mr. Beardo appeared was, "Hey there, daddy." Laughing Doggamn interwebs.

Yeah, I got into anime around the same time as Alan45. I still have a few of the VHS tapes I bought - Magic Knights of Rayearth. I like the picture the tapes make when placed side-by-side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I still have a few of the VHS tapes I bought - Magic Knights of Rayearth. I like the picture the tapes make when placed side-by-side.

IIRC, this was often a feature of VHS issued by CPM and its subsidiaries (Software Sculptors, US Manga, etc.) The only one I remember clearly was the 6-tape collection of Record of Lodoss War OVA with the dragon picture.

God, I am a beardo.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm borderline beardo.. I guess. I caught the tail end of VHS anime.. and I would slap the taste out of Vice's mouth for calling any Macross shirt I was sportin Robotech... just sayin Cool
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Yes, the beardos still exist. But you don't have to be old timer to be a beardo. I've ran into my fair share of soon to be beardos during HS and college. So non-beardos, eventually become todays BEARDOS.

But yeah, the demographic of the anime historians has changed quite a bit. I'm often surprised at the number of anime historians who are either my age or younger. And I commend them for being able to bring older show, doing academic analysis and opening the door to a newer generation of fans. And this encourages more fans to do the same.

Sure there is a generation gap there and some people do respond differently to those younger than some "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!! AND TAKE YOUR 2 TONE, MOE (INSERT WHATEVER TYPE OF ANIME YOU DON'T LIKE) ANIME WITH YOU!!" types. But it doesn't mean what they say isn't valid. They laid the foundation and now...torch gets passed on to the next group of anime historians. We wouldn't have such a fandom that has grown exponentially if it wasn't for those pioneers.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew a beardo a few years ago while I was attending (as a non-student) a weekly "Asian Film Series" at my local university. He was more than a beardo for anime, he was the student that was running the series, as a sophomore, and an Asian film obsessive with a particular love for Chinese Opera films. This is what he was doing with his preteens and teens, collecting and watching as much Asian cinema as he could get from every legit and bootleg source possible... From Northern Wisconsin. He told me that he didn't really like much anime that was made before 1982 (almost ten years before he was born). I believe he's currently interning for film companies in Taiwan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Sure there is a generation gap there and some people do respond differently to those younger than some "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!! AND TAKE YOUR 2 TONE, MOE (INSERT WHATEVER TYPE OF ANIME YOU DON'T LIKE) ANIME WITH YOU!!" types. But it doesn't mean what they say isn't valid. They laid the foundation and now...torch gets passed on to the next group of anime historians. We wouldn't have such a fandom that has grown exponentially if it wasn't for those pioneers.

To a generation that says "We have the Internet and you don't, so back to your nap and let us fix things!", it's hard to suggest the idea of how the foundation was set down without it, and the hard work it took make it look so easy and common. And in a word, how anime WASN'T ALWAYS THERE, and how it might not be again, if we start taking it for granted, and/or privileged.
And then we can get into discussions of what shows other folk might have missed from bad timing.

Saying "I don't care about what came before me, because I'm hip enough not to be interested" is literally like crossing the street blindfolded--We admire the hip independence and cringe at an act of utter broadcasted stupidity bragging how much it didn't know or wasn't thinking things through.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Heh, I thought you meant, in that bolded sentence, that as the older generations do the GET OFF MY LAWN behavior at the younger ones, they will do it too when they get older.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2