• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
C'mon guys, at least they:

"at least they" is a terrible defense for pretty much anything. US Netflix needs to stop being stupid. Even without a dub there is no reason to make us wait. The fact there is a dub (Regardless of it being lackluster, based on trailers), just removes their last real excuse for not putting it up
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
If you live in the US, like I do, maybe try to contact Netflix and tell them you're pissed. It's the only conceivable way they might actually get with the program. You can either call them (which I did) or just spam "Violet Evergarden" through their suggestion form.
CatSword wrote:
And the people who are like "Lol I live in Canada and can't get Hulu so it's time for you guys to suffer!" aren't helping/are being petty. Confused

I know, right? I want to be sympathetic, because in general the US does seem to get vastly more anime than other countries, but there's no need for them to gloat now that we're suffering instead of them.

Last edited by G S Palmer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Available in South Africa:
Audio: English, Japanese.
Subtitles: English, Japanese (CC).

For the people complaining that it's not available in the US: Think about Aniplex. Even though Aniplex's titles are on Crunchyroll, they do not make those titles available to us at all, as in never. And Funimation. Funimation literally blocked out users from SA from viewing their website, so streaming their dubs is legally impossible. (I've had their Yona of the Dawn and a few Dragonball Z Kai's mailed to me though. Can't stop 'gifts' ha ha ha) Anyway, these are only to mention a few - mostly all of Crunchyroll's backlog titles that they've been putting up are available to US & Canada, US & Canada, US & Canada. Now with one show you US guys are upset? Hopefully it turns out well for you guys though, it always does.
Uchay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

"at least they" is a terrible defense for pretty much anything. US Netflix needs to stop being stupid. Even without a dub there is no reason to make us wait. The fact there is a dub (Regardless of it being lackluster, based on trailers), just removes their last real excuse for not putting it up

Not really trying to defend them. Just saying, people always complained they didn't simulcast outside Japan. Well, now they do simulcast. Not on every region, but for me it's a start, even if I'm not benefiting from it right now.

Perhaps I just have really low expectations on anything anime-related (actually, I don't think there's a single serie, even outside anime, that is simulcast here) when it comes to streaming, much less simulcast, in my country. Dunno, I legitimately think the fact they are trying to implement simulcast is a big step for starters.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
If you live in the US, like I do, maybe try to contact Netflix and tell them you're pissed. It's the only conceivable way they might actually get with the program. You can either call them (which I did) or just spam "Violet Evergarden" through their suggestion form.

This. I wrote off Netflix for Anime a looong time ago, so I've no skin in this game. But, giving them feedback - be clear, concise, polite and firm - is the correct thing to do.

It might even do to suggest they ask their counterparts at Amazon how upsetting Anime fans worked out for them?

Mark Gosdin
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's available here in South Africa (with an English track). I heard from relatives that it isn't even available in Australia.

Anyway, here's the English cast if you aren't a dub hater.

Violet Evergarden - Erika Harlacher
Cattleya Baudelaire - Reba Buhr
Benedict Blue - Ben Pronsky
Gilbert Biugainvillea - Tony Azzolino
Erica Brown - Christine Cabanos
Iris Cannery - Cherami Leigh
Claudia Hoggins - Kyle McCarley

Last edited by coolkidpiccolo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I am sure that a better explanation exists for why Netflix is not releasing it in the US but at the moment this really does look like they are trolling US anime fans.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
To those who think this is just a isolated thing.
This has been Netflix's MO in the States with any new Anime series. And this one season time-wall BS is enough.

Let me ask you this: What if Netflix had titles like Attack on Titian, My Hero Academia, or any other really popular title? Could you honestly say your fine waiting three months or more when nearly everywhere else can get new episodes the same day as their Japanese airing/streaming?
Granted this is usually the case for everywhere else than the States, but I feel this is a valid point/question.
Lemonhearts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's also available in Finland (and I'd think other Nordic countries too, services often have deals that cover all of them) with Japanese and English audio and subs in Finnish, Swedish, English, Japanese and for some reason, Arabic.
Robbl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Boohoo it's not like you get 75% of simlucasts on crunchyroll instead of them being spread across 5 different services...
junkozero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
People living in the US need to get over themselves though lol So what if it's not in the US? Rolling Eyes
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any one is trying to be petty it's the truth other countries have it worse than the US.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Polish subtitles in the UK....wait whaa!??!!?
This just seems confusing to me. Why bother releasing Polish subs in another country but not in Poland?!??!?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I imagine trying to explain this to my dad in the 90s.

Me: I want to watch this TV show.

Dad: Sure, just pop on down to the video store and look to see if they have the VCR tape for it or not.

Me: Actually, no, that's not how it works (also, what's a video store?). Now, communication allows people to distribute the data with infinite replicability.

Dad: Oh, so they sell the data?

Me: Sort of. But they're afraid of people freely distributing that data, so they instead pack it with DRM, sort of like how if you open your toolbox without the receipt, it explodes.

Dad: That's not how-

Me: Shut up, dad. Anyway, in this case, the people making the data aren't the ones distributing the data, so they have to sell a license to a distributor to sell the data.

Dad: To everyone?

Me: Uh, no. They sell licenses to certain areas. So if you live in a place that the distributor didn't want to pay to license, you're screwed.

Dad: That's too bad.

Me: Also, because of the marketing needs of this company, they prefer to release these TV series all at once, instead of each week, so folks who want to watch it need to wait.

Dad: Oh. But adding subtitles and dubs to the show week to week would require a totally different workflow than planning for the release date, so I can see why you'd have to wait.

Me: Actually, no. They're adding subtitles and dubs week to week for release in some regions, but not this one, because their marketing approach also differs region to region.

Dad: I see. That's a shame, but they need to make sure they sell enough copies of the data to make it worth their while to pay the licensing, so holding it back for their marketing push makes sense.

Me: Except they don't sell copies of the data. They sell access to their whole data library, so what they're really doing is using the marketing push to convince people to join the data library, or stick with the data library, or tolerate access price increases to the library.

Dad: By restricting access to pieces of the data library, they make the library less valuable in order to convince you that it's more valuable... you know what, I don't care. By the way, I'm still waiting on those grandkids.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
junkozero wrote:
People living in the US need to get over themselves though lol So what if it's not in the US? Rolling Eyes

Because Netflix is a US company. This isn't the case where a foreign company has blocked us from streaming. This isn't like Canada not being able to stream Hulu. This would be like if TSN streamed their sporting events everywhere except Canada and had no way for Canadians to see the content until 3 months after it happened.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8