• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Consortium Japan's 'Anime Now!' Site Shuts Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
ANN & AnimeNow BOTH did a TERRIBLE job of explaining what was going on there. When the AnimeNow articles first started appearing on here I was confused by the redirects to another site without any explanation before it happened. With the proliferation of "10 things that you never knew, #6 will BLOW YOUR MIND" links, I just took the AnimeNow eye grabbing headlines as clickbait and started avoiding those links since I didn't know who AnimeNow was or what they were trying to accomplish and their appearance on ANN reeked of some kind of phishing or corporate market research scam. If I had known it was a more benign attempt at Japanese industry self-promotion, I might've given it more of a chance.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. There were a few interesting articles, but the majority was lacking in substance and even at times, childish. But I wish the staff good fortune.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Stopped checking Anime Now after Ken Iikura posted that spoilerific Yu-Gi-Oh! anime guide last year in August. The article is meant for newcomers yet the guy intentionally spoiled the entire plot of each YGO series and movie. I'm talking about plot twists that you learn after 100 episodes (or the last arc) in a 150 (average) episode series. You have official plot synopsis from Japan that have been reported by ANN (sister site) and yet you don't use it. I could continue pointing his illogical actions in that article, but it won't change what he did. If Anime Now being dead means that it can stop Ken from ruining a persons experience then thank you.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Namco bought ASJ and it's looking more and more like that was a favour for a friend. Daisuki and Anime Now are dead.* They'll probably sell their stake in ANN. What other assets do they have?

*Yes, I know Daisuki still exists as a Dragon Ball Super streaming service, but come on.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I was just on the site like a week ago, sucks to see it go, i really liked the articles on there plus they had some good top 10 list
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
I actually liked seeing some of their articles. If it hasn't been been done yet, they should start archiving as much as they can using the Internet Archive. That's 232 pages of listed articles to be done.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Will not be missed.

Some of the articles were somewhat decent (mainly reports) but most were meh, and one that I really found tasteless was the "How I got Into the Anime Industry" article. It was less a "how to" and more of a "look how awesome I am, you should be jealous."

Quote:
I’m not exactly the master of the industry myself, but sit down child, and let me tell you my story of how I got into this field of work.

1. If you're not a "master" then you shouldn't be writing a "how to."
2. "Child"??? Excuse me??? Doesn't get more conceited than that.

There is absolutely no "how to" that anyone can follow to get into the industry, and "make good connections and hope you're lucky" is not a good guide. The entire article was just a platform for the author to boast. I guarantee you their experience in Japan would be so much different if they weren't blonde and white.

I'm not really sure where you got the idea that it was a "how to" article with a title like that. Everything you quoted sounds like someone is telling a story about how they got into the industry not "follow these same steps I took and you can do it, too". Also the child bit isn't intended to be condescending, similar things are said frequently to parodize an elder telling a story.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm not really sure where you got the idea that it was a "how to" article with a title like that. Everything you quoted sounds like someone is telling a story about how they got into the industry not "follow these same steps I took and you can do it, too". Also the child bit isn't intended to be condescending, similar things are said frequently to parodize an elder telling a story.

Emerje

The introduction includes, "there aren’t many 'how-to' guides on how to get into this industry," and the entire second half of the article starts with, "So, you ask, how can I get into the anime industry?" After that it practically gives "step-by-step" advice: Learn Japanese, take on a related job to make connections, hope for the best (that you can become like me).

I am not fond of this author so obviously the way I read things may be slightly skewed, but the way I see it, elders are people to be respected, and the author acting as if they're an "elder" telling a story here makes it sound like they expect people to look up to them. I don't think my opinions about this author are unjust as, like I mentioned previously, their Twitter is often littered with posts that are basically, "Look at me with my famous friend(s)."
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Stay strong Anime-Planet, Anichart, Kitsu, MyAnimeList and of course ANN!

Thanks for the list of sites! I hadn't heard of any of these except MyAnimeList. I just visited Anime-Planet, and it looks like a jewel.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I actually liked seeing some of their articles. If it hasn't been been done yet, they should start archiving as much as they can using the Internet Archive. That's 232 pages of listed articles to be done.
I tried archiving one of their webpages with archive.is. It didn't go very well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3