• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Watch 100 Years of Anime Flash By in Just 15 Minutes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's starts out nicely enough but once they get to the 1990s, the omissions start to get very glaring. Also if you are going to use the very latest iterations of Lupin, Osomatsu, Pokemon, etc, then you should have used Super for the Dragon Ball representative.

At least, we can lay the myth that Cowboy Bebop was unappreciated in Japan to rest.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That video was awesome, I know I'm like the 5th person to say this but seriously, NO EVANGELION! Also, even more shocking that I don't think anyone's mentioned but NO STUDIO GHIBLI! That's almost like doing a montage of American animation and leaving out Disney or something!
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
They skipped the entire middle of the '90's it seems and the Monogatari series.....

...but they had the #best im@s version and Girls und panzer so I will forgive them....

..... buuuut they triggered me by including the bad Last Exile sequel! I'm torn!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness, "NO STUDIO GHIBLI" was mentioned in the article, so that would explain why nobody reiterated that point.
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Just by seeing Ichiro Mizuki's name as part of these 23 artists, I'm certain something Mazinger-related will show up in that 15-minute video. I might have to watch it to find out, though.
Anthony Masson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Seeing The King of Braves GaoGaiGar be part of that 15-minute video brought a smile to my face. I was not expecting to see it in there. Anime smile
Siddharth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Macross, carcaptors or clamp in general and monogatari were missing
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

EDIT: Ya know what!? I'm gonna take the video and add all the other shows that should be in there.

If you plan on uploading it to YouTube, expect it to last a very short while before copyright takes you down.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
If I were to characterize this compilation, it's a tribute to the many techniques and styles of anime with a few examples from about each year since the mid-50's (post WWII). There is no practical way even the most important/influential anime of the last couple of decades or so could be included without being well over an hour besides the monumental licensing snarl it would engender. I also find it interesting to note, seeing the other stop-motion examples, that the Christmas classic Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer was stop-action animated by a Japanese team and so is anime. Since no other medium has enabled the unfettered means to visualize what the human imagination conceives, the song accompanying is so fitting "...this leads to the future we have dreamed about..."
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:

What’s weird is that Bandai Visual owns Ghost in the Shell and Macross, and Aniplex has Rurouni Kenshin (along with Bleach- thus showing their stuff was in the video), so their exclusions were baffling.Toei owns Hokuto no Ken, but they showed Dragon Ball, so that’s odd as well.

Given the recent news about the Rurouni Kenshin manga author, I'm certain it's exclusion in the video was likely intentional, so I'm not surprised. The only one I'm really surprised wasn't included was Evangelion given how iconic and influential that series is. But for the most part, I'm actually kind of glad they didn't include a lot of the typical popular classics and I was fascinated by a lot of the more niche inclusions, especially the stop motion animation. I think that helped make this video feel more special and not just like a Mojo Top anime video or something like it could have been.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Siddharth wrote:
Macross, carcaptors or clamp in general and monogatari were missing

I think Macross 7 was in there.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Small correction for the article, Minami is listed in the encyclopedia as Minami Kuribayashi.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
But. Gintama...oh well-still a good video...
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
What are some of the stop-motion ones? I see a woman working at making clothes, a buddha, a giant demon thing with a noh mask, etc.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
@wonderwomanhero
Most of the stop-motion and puppetry clips are from Kihachirō Kawamoto, a distinguished and legendary director who passed away in 2010. He also did some traditional animation such as anime#7379 that was featured in the video.

Although there are some glaring omissions, I was quite happy to see some independent and non-traditional creators represented in the video. Would've been nice to see more pre-1960s stuff. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3