• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
While this season didn't have any show that really challenged Action Heroine Cheer Fruits for my personal "anime of the year", I still think it was one of the strongest seasons of 2017 in terms of the sheer number of "watchable" shows. (Not to say that this was a weak year for anime, because it obviously wasn't.)

It wasn't a weak year for anime, it was the "Year of the Average Anime" and this season was no different. Wile I very much enjoy Recovery of a MMO Junkie and the previous season's similar yet not at all the same Gamers!, I would hesitate to put them alongside the top series of previous years as either comedy or romance series.

On the other hand, I'm up to the point where I'd rather just wait and see what sticks in people's mind the following year and watch it then. It makes a smaller list year after year.

"Only now matters. The only show worth watching is the show I'm watching right now!"
Right now, I'm watching Marmalade Boy and Ranma 1/2. Oh 2017, you're so vanilla.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
^People are going to focus on shows that aired this season in a thread about the best of the most recent season. Let’s save the conversation about the past year for tomorrow’s feature.

As I’m writing this post, there’s an ad for ImoSae right next to where I’m typing, so I guess we have different ideas about what constitutes vanilla.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I watched/am watching seven series to their conclusions. They were (in alphabetical order):
-ClassicaLoid 2
-Inuyashiki
-Juuni Taisen
-Land of the Lustrous
-March Comes in Like a Lion 2
-Recovery of an MMO Junkie
-Welcome to the Ballroom
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^People are going to focus on shows that aired this season in a thread about the best of the most recent season. Let’s save the conversation about the past year for tomorrow’s feature.

As I’m writing this post, there’s an ad for ImoSae right next to where I’m typing, so I guess we have different ideas about what constitutes vanilla.

A work from the creator of Oriemo, a work that was about:
Themes: imouto, otaku, secrets, siblings

We get Eromanga Sensei which is totally different as its about:
Themes: harem, imouto, otaku, siblings.

No, wait, I have the wrong show as it's "A Sister's All You Need" which is:
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, harem, imouto, otaku

You are 100% correct. It's like comparing Chocolate Chip ice cream to Cookie Dough ice cream to Fudge Ripple ice cream. Not vanilla at all.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
I’m not saying that ImoSae is the most unique or greatest show, but I think the first few minutes excludes it from being described as vanilla.

And anyways, that isn’t the most remarkable work this season. I’d say most of the titles that were highlighted by reviewers and users here are far from average, generally or at the very least within their genres.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5