• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Goblin Slayer GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
This made me laugh, since just this last weekend my friend's little sister was complaining about kids at school who are annoying because they point out your specific logical fallacies during arguments xD

I sort of agree with your sister, and will add that pointing out logical fallacies feels just as obnoxious as having them pointed out to you. Anime smile + sweatdrop

That said, that's why they're called fallacies. Using them is pretty much the same as trying to cheat in a game, so one shouldn't be using them in the first place.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, how about you 2 Ashabel & Chrysostomus just agree to disagree and move on. Thank you.
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Realquick wrote:
thankfully the sexual violence tones down later on

No it really doesn't. I just about groaned loudly when in chapter 15, in the climatic moment of the second major story of the series, the mangaka randomly and pointlessly dedicated an entire page to the goblin leader's flashbacks of all the women he raped.
I said tones down not disappears
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
also hold up. GS doesn't dwell on the rape pages. It's not something we'd want to see a lot of but it's not dwelled. It's also shown it's fair share of regular gore with mutilated bodies, decapitation, etc.

And Berserk ain't something to talk about when it comes to how to handle rape where we see casca actually raped for several pages, then enjoying it to add to the ntr. Then we have the rape horse, rape apostle, and the rape trolls.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
also hold up. GS doesn't dwell on the rape pages. It's not something we'd want to see a lot of but it's not dwelled. It's also shown it's fair share of regular gore with mutilated bodies, decapitation, etc.

Chapter 1 of the manga, which is 52 pages, adapts about 20 pages of text from the first light novel.

In those 52 pages, there are 5 pages that moderately to graphically depict sexual assault, 4 if you want to say "but the rape was only shown on part of the page!"

In the light novel, there are 2 sentences you could construe to be describing sexual assault. One of those sentences is "...her clothes ripped and fell away..." and the other is "Closing her ears to the echoes in the cavern of the goblins violating her companion..."

If you want to nitpick the word "dwell," fine, pick a better word. The fact is that the novel does not describe any rape at all, but the mangaka chose to draw it out anyway. However you choose to qualify that difference, the point is that it turned off a number of readers who have replied in this topic.
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Realquick wrote:

Chapter 1 of the manga, which is 52 pages, adapts about 20 pages of text from the first light novel.

In those 52 pages, there are 5 pages that moderately to graphically depict sexual assault, 4 if you want to say "but the rape was only shown on part of the page!"

In the light novel, there are 2 sentences you could construe to be describing sexual assault. One of those sentences is "...her clothes ripped and fell away..." and the other is "Closing her ears to the echoes in the cavern of the goblins violating her companion..."

If you want to nitpick the word "dwell," fine, pick a better word. The fact is that the novel does not describe any rape at all, but the mangaka chose to draw it out anyway. However you choose to qualify that difference, the point is that it turned off a number of readers who have replied in this topic.

I know it turned people off but I had said that it tones down later and the person exaggerated about it being around like in the first few chapters.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
I know it turned people off but I had said that it tones down later and the person exaggerated about it being around like in the first few chapters.

? ? ?

I didn't exaggerate anything. I named you the precise chapter where the manga injects a random flashback of nothing but scenes of sexual assault that doesn't exist in the novels at all. Myskaros now went ahead and named other cases.

The manga dedicates entire pages, sometimes multiple ones, to singular completely unimportant sentences of the novel. That's the very definition of dwelling on something.

What's unfortunate in this case is that the mangaka chose to dwell exclusively on sentences that suggest sexual assault, and the way he depicts them is exclusively titillation.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I just read the manga and I can understand the complaints that it went too far. The part with the goblins raping Fighter went on for too long and showed so much detail that it was clearly meant for titillation. That it later shows Fighter mentally broken and being taken by cart to the temple was somewhat depressing. A major theme in Goblin Slayer is that people underestimate goblins since they don't understand that their cruelty makes them dangerous. The manga showing the goblins to be cruel was necessary but it visually showed a lot more than what was needed.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
That argument would be relevant if the flashback was in any way important to story or the character. This one wasn't. If it was, you have yet to prove it in any way.
Why is the flashback not important to the character of the goblin lord?

Ashabel wrote:
A slippery slope is a logical fallacy employed by someone who doesn't have an argument in order to escalate the debate onto a different scale because the old one was inconvenient to them.
No, that fallacy you are describing is called changing the goalpost. Did you start learning about fallacies last Thursday or something?

Ashabel wrote:
I now expect you to prove that removing a major character from a story is exactly the same as removing three panels of flashbacks that don't actually affect the story in any way.
Well, thank you for admitting that you are making a mountain out of a molehill by being so outraged by three lousy panels. Also, you say the goblin lord is a major character now? If that's the case your censoring of his flashback holds even less water now by your own admission.

Ashabel wrote:
They've already established how goblins reproduced by then. That page has nothing to do with it.
It has everything to do with it, you just don't like it.

Ashabel wrote:
There is absolutely nothing that scene shows that couldn't be handled with text.
Once again... Manga is a visual medium, you know. Who wants to read boatloads of text in a manga? HxH, a god among insects, is not currently fairing well with that problem.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Why is the flashback not important to the character of the goblin lord?

Because it doesn't exist in the source material and was entirely invented by the mangaka in order to shove rape pictures into the story. Period.

I went ahead and reported your post because your trolling has become obvious to the point of embarrassing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
@Chrysostomus - You were asked to stop. Move on and leave it alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3