• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Old American TV Dubs Of Anime Lost Forever?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
All the points in this post are dependent on either Japan or the USA would keep the master copies of an pre-2000 original Eng. dub* 75 years from now. In additions, they are are dependent on current Japanese and American copyright laws stay the same for that same period.

From Chapter 2 of the Japanese Copyright Law text (bold is mine)
(Cinematographic works)
Article 54. (1) Copyright in a cinematographic work shall continue to subsist until the end of a period of seventy years following the making public of the work or the creation of the work if it has not been made public within a period of seventy years following its creation.
(2) When copyright in a cinematographic work has expired at the end of its duration, copyright subsisting in the original work adapted cinematographically shall also expire but only with respect to the exploitation of the cinematographic work.
(3) The provisions of the preceding two Articles shall not apply to copyright in cinematographic works.

In the USA, foreign corporate-authored works published after 3/1/1989 have a 95-year copyright coverage. So, the Japanese-language Sailor Moon anime lapses its copyright here on 12/31/2087. The original Eng. dub would lapse its copyright here on 12/31/2090. If one was to time travel to 1/1/2091 USA, good luck on finding any company
that has masters to a then nearly 100-year-old TV show. I doubt they would, even if one willing for someone to pay top dollar to do a public domain viewing for said version.

*original Eng. dub TV version. This also applies to the original Japanese-language TV version.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I will still hold onto the sliver of hope that someday, Discotek will pick up Shaman King, with the 4Kids dub included

Same here with Ultimate Muscle.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
As someone who had followed the anime scene in the 90s, the screwing with the material back then was something that had to be seen to be believed. Localization companies just didn't care about the material so much as how much money it was going to make them and how many toys they were going to sell.

This plus premium priced tapes and DVDs shows how much of a struggle the sub-medium had to deal with and what the fans had to deal with.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey, they'll always live on in mockery in my heart... and in my name!

I have nothing against dubs, but alternations and censorship like what happened to CCS and Sailor Moon are... lol, no thanks. They are entertaining to laugh about in retrospect, but I'm glad that no longer happens.

I did find some of the music choices fun in old dubs at least, especially in Digimon.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
But neither company managed to get the old dubs that aired on American television, which a lot of people remember fondly.

I've met a few people who like Sailor Moons dub, despite its flaws. But I've only ever heard universal hate for the dub for CCS.

That's quite amusing, considering I'd say that CCS's dub version is probably more intact than Sailor Moon's. Which is saying something. Sailor Moon often lost whole episodes and they were all in weird orders, while, outside of the US atleast, CCS mostly avoided the scissors. I've rewatched CCS in Japanese recently and honestly, not much is missing from the dub at all (the version that aired on UK TV, at least...).

The dubs themselves really aren't as bad as everyone makes out. You could take a cheap shot at the actual acting, but it was the 90's. The casting wasn't hideous (everyone in CCS sounds fine and fits their role pretty well, with the exception of Sakura.. and man, was Usagi's second VA really bad). Some name changes even make sense ('Usagi' just wouldn't work in an adaption for English audiences. Calling her Serena is rather fitting, and generally in Sailor Moon the dub names at least have the same meanings as their Japanese counterparts).

The big bugbear with 90's dubs is of course, the cutting and censorship... in other words, the TV networks. If something's been changed, there's a 90% chance it's the TV network's fault. For example, the Nelvana CCS dub was completed, with ALL episodes in order - and when it aired in the US, the TV network said, "No, we need boys to watch this, lose half the episodes and reorder them to make it more about Li."

There's no need for this anymore because TV is so irrelevant for anime in the west nowadays. Let's be honest, without these bad TV dubs though, many of us wouldn't even know what anime is.

Terrible90sDub wrote:
Hey, they'll always live on in mockery in my heart... and in my name!
I did find some of the music choices fun in old dubs at least, especially in Digimon.

Oh man, say what you want about Yu-Gi-Oh!'s dub, but the dub's OST (BGM, not including OPs) is SO much better than the original version.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
The question is why would you even want the old cardcaptors dub, that thing was horrendous.

They are no doubt terrible , but I kinda feel they ought to be archived. Kind of like a museum of shit. To look and laugh at the terrible practices we had in the day.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^When it comes to Sailor Moon, almost everything is fan speculation.

Yes and i say "When it comes to Card Captor Sakura, almost everything is fan speculation."

Last edited by StarFan13 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the Sailor Moon dub is more loved because it's sort of like a little time capsule of the 90s that we grew up with. Edits aside, the dub really brought a lot of personality to the characters we grew attached to, and as different as the music was from the original JP, it had it's own thing going for it. I would never say it was better than the original JP, but it made things extremely easy to access for me as a kid. I've got the Sailor Moon blu rays, but I also have the whole DIC dub files saved on an external hard drive. When I have to babysit someone's kid who can't read yet, it's fun to sit down with them and watch a couple. If I ever have kids of my own they're more than likely going to start off with that dub.

The Cardcaptor Sakura Dub though I'd say butchered itself move than Sailor Moon with adjusting whole themes and situations, such as the dynamic between Sakura and Syaoran (this is the Nelvana dub I'm talking about). Things started off bad when they decided to name it Cardcaptors because "boys would never watch something about a girl".

It could of course be more disliked though on the sole fact that a lot of people who grew up with these dubs was too young to have access to the JP release, and to know about the changes. I was about 13 when the Cardcaptor Sakura dub came out (and about 8 with Sailor Moon when I discovered it) and knew exactly what was changed as it aired thanks to the internet. When Sailor Moon came out I was in elementary school.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of shows were altered quite a bit during this period -- Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura among them -- but we can only guess as to what was authorized and what wasn't

I remember the Canadian airing of CC on Teletoon being relatively uncut, name changes and some of the odd decisions to episode order aside (although all of them were aired at one point or another in the proper order). It was the US airing that had all the even stupid decisions like the promotion refocused on Syaron, cut episodes and general edits. The Nelvena dub was still better than the trashfire that was the SEA English Animax dub though.

A lot like the Precure dubs amusingly enough. Canada and I believe Europe got a fairly good dub with relatively unknown actors who did a really good job with it, plus it was uncut in terms of violence and subject matter (which, for Futari Wa, is funny considering how hyper violent it is) and yet the recent dubs, which had amazing casts, were edited to hell and back.

Seriously, Toei. When can I get a release of that OG dub?

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
The question is why would you even want the old cardcaptors dub, that thing was horrendous.

So was Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, One Piece, and pretty much every edited for TV dub. Doesn't stop them from having fans. Some more vocal and diehard than others.

HolsteinCrab wrote:
Part of me is saddened that we no longer have the supremely cheesy, ridiculous censored dubs of the 90s anymore.

We do. It's just in the age of the internet no one notices or cares. Anyone into Danball Senki, Yokai Watch, and other modern dubs were already watching the fansubs for years before their heavily censored dubs aired They're just as shite as Pokemon and everything else from the 90s. It's just you're not a kid nkw so chances are unless you actively watch Disney Anime hyper or Nicktoons you'll never see them, and the original is widely available online

Puniyo wrote:
Oh man, say what you want about Yu-Gi-Oh!'s dub, but the dub's OST (BGM, not including OPs) is SO much better than the original version

Please tell me you're joking. YGODM has one of the greatest anime soundtracks of all time. Nothing in that synthesized mess of a dub comes close to Passionate Duelist.
lemurs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Surely the dub of Cardcaptors was imposed by the licensor's wishes and not something Geneon went with because of lax oversight. None of the other shows Geneon was releasing at the time got hacked up like that, or got a whole separate sub-only DVD release on the side. That's just a ton of extra work for a release strategy that was already an anachronism by that point.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I care about the dubs for anime that are not for kids like the dubs for Black Magic MM6 and New Dominion Tank Police. I have a soft spot for those type of dubs than the garbage that would air on CN, KidsWB! or Fox Kids. I had to buy the old NDTP DVD because the new one didn't have the English dub on it and I grew up with a lot of old anime voice actors that don't really do voice work anymore. Same with the Streamline dub of My Neighbor Totoro which is only on the old Fox VHS release from the early 90's.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
The dubs themselves really aren't as bad as everyone makes out. You could take a cheap shot at the actual acting, but it was the 90's. The casting wasn't hideous (everyone in CCS sounds fine and fits their role pretty well, with the exception of Sakura.. and man, was Usagi's second VA really bad).

I take it you're referring to CWi's S & SuperS dub? If so then that was her third VA.

Lynx Amali wrote:
Seriously, Toei. When can I get a release of that OG dub?

Probably never sadly enough which sucks because I liked what I saw of Blue Water's Pretty Cure dub myself.

lemurs wrote:
Surely the dub of Cardcaptors was imposed by the licensor's wishes and not something Geneon went with because of lax oversight. None of the other shows Geneon was releasing at the time got hacked up like that, or got a whole separate sub-only DVD release on the side. That's just a ton of extra work for a release strategy that was already an anachronism by that point.

The Cardcaptors series and first movie dub were produced by Nelvana while Geneon only did distribution on both the dub & sub releases.

The second movie on the other hand was all Geneon which was why there's a different voice cast since they went with a LA union dub at Bang Zoom instead of sending it to Ocean again like Nelvana did previously.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Same with the Streamline dub of My Neighbor Totoro which is only on the old Fox VHS release from the early 90's.

Fox put that release on a pan-and-scan DVD in the early 2000's, so it's not only on VHS. I know because I own both it and Disney's version. That Fox DVD is pricey nowadays, though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
"Lost forever" is such an exaggeration, they're definitely all still archived on the internet. I know people wanna buy em officially, and I respect that, but to pretend that information literally vanishes when it's not being sold is a really flawed way of thinking.
They could be referring to the working file being missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6