• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ef - a tale of memories.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. I like the flow of the episode very much, and the different style of representation for each scene, especially in the first episode. It's not bland, and background and colors fits the mood very well. Could be another silent hit like Sola from last season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 7! It's official, ef - a tale of memories is by far one of the best series to come out for the fall season! My GOD! Shocked

spoiler[The first half dealt with Renji and Chihiro as they made more progress with the novel. There were moments where Renji felt deja-vu when he relayed the same information towards Chihiro again like dealing with the ending of the novel. Near the end of the first half of the episode at the beach, Chihiro asked Renji to kiss her as if they were lovers. Renji completely hesitated and questioned the situation; Chihiro was doing this based on what she's written as this is her entire "existence". Renji then noticed that Chihiro ran off as he thought that she interpreted the situation the wrong way. He then hoped that she doesn't write what happened in her diary.]

The second half is where I got a chill down my spine, and I was sweating with tension! And I have to say this is where the Shinbo-esque editing style comes into full bloom! spoiler[This dealt with Miyako's point of view in where she was waiting for Hiro for the upcoming date. It also introduced a flashback where Miyako's parents stopped loving each other and then felt they didn't love her back. It was these moments that shaped why Miyako is the way she is; it seemed like meeting with Hiro brought back her "color" into this world. Of course she starts to mentally break down as she kept on sending voice messages onto Hiro's cellphone. It got to a point where she panicked as she didn't want to disappear from Hiro's heart.

After a new ending sequence, Kei noticed the numerous voice mails in Hiro's cellphone. Once she discovered they're all from Miyako, she promptly deleted them all. Oh you BITCH! Shocked Shocked ]

Oh man, the anticipation of next episode is now becoming unbearing! SHAFT might get themselves another winner if they keep this up.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This is the most exciting romance of this season really. Ep 7 can be summarized in two or three sentences, but the execution is brilliant. SHAFT/Shinbo's style takes it too the edge yet again, this time with extra effectiveness (shoujo drawing/coloring of the Miyako section is great).

As for the plot...

spoiler[KEI DELETED THEM! THE MAILS, KEI DELETED THEM!

ZMOG FULL SCALE WAR! Anime hyper ]

This is getting exciting. spoiler[Poor Hiro has absolutely no clue what's waiting for him next time he meets Miyako.]

Also, spoiler[problems on the other side. Renji doubts himself. Will Chihiro, whose entire existence depends on what she writes down on paper, be able to understand the whole picture? Did her story somehow weakens the poor boy's resolve? Will Renji moves forward or retreats back, never to return? Will Miyako recover from her mental breakdown? Will Kei slump further into bitchiness in her desperation to erase Miyako from Onii-chan's heart? Will anime fans, who are uniformly stupid, stop using the "nice boat" meme? And why cliffhangers are so evil? Next week, on ef - a tale of memories!] =)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
WOW. That was.... epic. Just beautiful. It's too soon to compare it to Clannad, which is a two cour series, but if nothing else, ef is the best one cour series of the season.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it epic, but for the second part of the episode, with just text and sound, that was really really really heart renching.

It basically went from thinking Miyako is the bad person here and insecure (but now she has a damn good reason why) to Kei is the bad guy and going overboard (even if the situation was purely coincidental, the injury I mean, can't excuse the spoiler[deleting mail things though]). Overall, like others said, probably not a new chain of events in this type of series, but the way it was presented (basically like the rest of the series), amazing (and as a plus, massive budget saving without sacrificing any of the mood or quality).

The first part seems still building up. I think there is still one more episode before that side's story kicks up. But currently, for me, it's really sad that spoiler[Chihiro can't remember her own story.] Right now, it is as if someone else is living her life for her. This side of the story is probably going to end up in a massive tear overflow.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be tough to top up the awesomeness of episode 7, but episode 8 did introduce a pretty devastating twist near the end of the episode. For Hiro and his "love-triangle", spoiler[right off the bat awkwardness ensues! Miyako wanted to know the whereabouts of Hiro so she she went to his apartment. As the door opened, Kei was standing there wearing only a towel. And she added more fuel to the insane bonfire by lying to Miyako that Hiro is sleeping in his room, and she later told her to leave. Wow, just wow! Shocked

Now realize this! Both Hiro and Kei are now injured, and it seems like a perfect opportunity for them to get together, right? With both of them injured, they can both relax together. Well it just so happens Hiro got an opportunity to do a one-shot manga, and he going to do it. Kei obviously objected it, but Hiro is going to do it anyways.

Though it is rather interesting that that the dynamics between Kyousuke and Kei is starting to build up at that very moment. Those two becoming a couple is starting to become pretty apparent! Wink]

Now for Renji and Chihiro, spoiler[Chihiro actually makes an attempt to remember all the precious memories she had with Renji and not let the 13-hour memory lapse overcome her. The grey-haired guy Yuu considers that pointless. It got to a point where he slapped her when she tried to get her diary back he took away.

Then on that day, Renji and Chihiro were walking on the beach during sunset, and Chihiro asked him if he would like to hold her hand. You can interpret that as what Chihiro truly wants from her heart and not what was written on her diary; she didn't say she wanted a kiss, right? Renji then said yes. As she reached out her hand, she started to faint and collapsed. Sometime later, Renji visited Chihiro's place to see how she was doing. According to Yuu, the "true" Chihiro has been revealed. Not only her memories were reseted by 13 hours, but they were reseted all the way back on the day of her accident when she was a child. ]

Amazing developments, really! It's going to be very intriguing on how they're going to end this now we got all this going on. Let's keep the momentum going!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was...shocking

Hiro & Kei & Miyako: spoiler[Well that certainly takes Miyako's unhappiness and jealousy to the next level...with her throwing the phone away and desperately banging on Hirono's door to try to talk to him; it's almost as if neither can meet the other despite their efforts searching (and it seems like both are misunderstanding the other with Miyako thinking Hirono doesn't care about her at all while Hirono not even having thought of Miyako's desperateness and the fact that he's the only friend she has right now). When Miyako calls Hirono 48703987 times, Hirono doesn't have his phone with him, when Hirono calls Miyako she already tossed her phone into the fountain, when she bangs on his door he's asleep and she's rudely intercepted by Kei, and when Hirono goes into the career center to discuss his future Miyako ditches school. Also, did I mention that I found the Kei slamming the door in Miyamiya's face scene really disturbing?]

Chihiro & Renji: spoiler[Almost a completely different type of story from the other one...no love triangle, and a slow, relaxing, yet troubling romance where what's keeping them apart is Chihiro's condition rather than another girl. Eh, it didn't really catch my attention this episode until the Chihiro total breakdown, where they basically set you up to the ultimate progression in their relationship, the ultimate hint of hope and healing, and then sets them up to fall apart completely. Cruel, but effective storytelling...]

darkchibi07 wrote:
Episode 7! It's official, ef - a tale of memories is by far one of the best series to come out for the fall season!

Agreed. Until I'm further convinced, ef is beating out even Clannad right now for the best series of the season.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The pace hasn't really changed for me, but as already said, another great episode. The development of the first half was good, not too forced, and still fairly controlled so it won't turn into one of those hyper-emo endings. I can't really root against either girls, because I think it's a case of a slight misunderstanding. I hope all three of them can end up happy (not going to happen).

As for part two, that is a devastating turn of events. I don't see how it can recover without some otherworldly means (which is entirely possible). In any case, that hurt a lot inside for me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was amazing.

My God, I think this may be my favorite show of the season. I didn't think I would say that about anything other than Clannad for this season and yet, I am, because this show is that damn good. I can't believe this is Shaft. They are nailing the drama, something they aren't exactly known for.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This really is a great show. The drama is, simply put, perfect.

ryokoalways wrote:
The pace hasn't really changed for me, but as already said, another great episode. The development of the first half was good, not too forced, and still fairly controlled so it won't turn into one of those hyper-emo endings. I can't really root against either girls, because I think it's a case of a slight misunderstanding. I hope all three of them can end up happy (not going to happen).

Well... not exactly "happy," but I'm sure if Kei needs some consolation from a heartbreak a certain camera-carrying dreamer would be happy to intercede. Wink

Episode 8 is split into two essential elements: moving the love triangle forward from the climax point and bringing out the climax in that other couple.

Man, Kei was cruel. I guess she really is desperate. And feeling guilty too.

I really don't know how Renji would handle that. I hope it's a happy ending though. After all that! Sad

My speculation: spoiler[Hiro-Hiro will end up with Miya-Miya. I can't just see it any other way. They're naturally attracted, they fill each other's world with color (Hiro's can be noticed in earlier episodes, when Miyako barged into his room and the gray tone turned "lifelike," while Miyamura's can be seen in episode 8, when she's crying), and Hiro's worried to death about Miyako. Needless to say, the latter is already head over heels in love with our detached mangaka.

Kei will have to go through some rough drama before coming out of it somehow. I'm pretty certain camera-boy will play a role in that though! She's already showing signs of "accepting" him.

As for my favorite couple... I don't know man. Renji screwed up when he failed to realize that the "miracle" was by and large a sacrifice from Chihiro's side. And now it's back to square one, with a lot of wounds and scar on the male side. Will he make it? How will he handle that? What's with the white-haired guardian? I'm really curious right now.]
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I need the mystery lady to pull a miracle, I really do.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I would be horribly disappointed if they just magically fix things with a "miracle". That would be stupid.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
I don't need it to be fixed via spoiler[Kanon miracle], but I need something. Hopefully they will be merciful enough at the end to just throw me a bone. Just don't make it end in a snowball fashion like Saikano or whatnot.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
I just finished episode 7 last night. Obviously I need some catching up to do.

Episode 7 was really intense, specially the second half of the episode. I feel bad for Hirono, both Kei and Miyako are clingy and annoying. I would rather focus on Renji and Chihiro's relationship more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Episode 9...

Hirono triangle

spoiler[Eh, I don't really like the way he stood Miyako up and said something to the effect of "I don't care about her much" to Kei (and it felt like he meant it), and then going through all that "I love you" stuff with Miyako the next day which was probably caused by a spur of the moment intense feeling/reaction. While it's understandable for someone his age, eh, it's kind of irritating to watch.]

Renji & Chihiro

spoiler[Wow...this is brilliant. If I were Renji I'd probably react the same way, I'm finally fully comprehending what the white-haired glasses guy was saying, and I'm starting to really get a feel of why he claimed that Renji would be the one suffering the most in the end. Also, wonderful effects and artistry as expected from Shaft.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8