• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Pokémon Film Casts Big Little Lies' Kathryn Newton

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
I'm still really iffy about this. Live-action Pokemon seems like a really weird choice to me.

Quote:
The article also described Pikachu as a motion-captured character for the film.

Andy Serkis as Pikachu. Either that, or Andy Serkis as Caesar in a Detective Pikachu outfit. Those are the only choices I will accept. Razz

Danny DeVito as the voice for Detective Pikachu is the only choice for the voice. Very Happy
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
I don't want this to tarnish my mental image of Pikachu. On a scale of LEGO to Emoji, I'm pretty damn wary of this cash-grab movie actually turning out to be good.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
I played Detective Pikachu and I'm kinda wondering if the game will ever get a sequel chapter. It was legitimately fun. I swear, if this film is the reason we never got it, that'll be upsetting...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I don't know why they'd start developing a detective Pikachu movie before releasing the damn game state side.

I would've said that this movie may be intended for Japanese audiences, but the casting suggests otherwise.

Vannil wrote:
I have found it odd that they haven't released Detective Pikachu in the West. Is there anything in the game that would make Nintendo warry of releasing it outside of Japan?

It's in the hands of The Pokémon Company International. If they gave it the greenlight, then I guess there's something those guys see in this movie that no one else here does.

It is still possibly that they're letting Legendary do this in order to promote the game's release in the west. If that's the case, then I'm sure the Pokémon Company people are breathing quite heavily down their backs. Nintendo is notorious for saying no to licensing deals more so than most other companies, but the Pokémon Company is even more restrictive (and is the reason why there are no Pokémon amiibo that aren't related to Smash Bros.). What baffles me is not that this movie exists, but that the Pokémon Company let it happen when they've turned down many other ideas that made more sense.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
This film's gonna be a steaming turd sandwich.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Could work if they make it like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, with a mix of hand-drawn/Live action.

But who are we kiddin'?

Let's face it. This is being aimed at the kiddie market - so expect something along the lines of Spy Kids.

There really shouldn't be any expectations whatsoever for a Pokemon movie outside of the anime films you've already got.
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So they're going the Death Note road with a complete different story and an actress from an HBO acclaimed series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2