• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: HYOUKA Part Two BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
There's no bait and switch or cheap trick. Literally the entire purpose of the 4th book, "The Doll That Took a Detour" is for Oreki to realize just how out of reach Chitanda is for him. For goodness sake's, Chitanda is dressed up as royalty and Oreki doesn't see himself fit to even lift her throne and can only gaze and gawk from far off during the parade. The socioeconomic difference between the Chitanda family and Oreki family is far too great Everything about the ending is in line with what has been long established by the series itself. Hyouka has never been about conventional stories of overcoming barriers, but rather learning how to cope with them. Satoshi has to deal with that he'll never be able able to match Oreki's innate ability of problem solving and deduction despite reading hundreds of mystery novels. The Manga Club President has to come to terms that she'll never be able to match the talent of an artist who doesn't have nearly as much passion. That's just what Hyouka is. There are barriers that can't be crossed in life, no matter how much hard work and effort is made, so how do we deal with them?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
Hyou-ka's conclusion tethers the show's romantic pretensions to its grounded perspective and evocative melancholy, offering a beautifully realized proposal that never betrays Hyou-ka's understanding of emotional and societal limitations.
The most poetic and elegant description of one of the worst "spit-in-your-face" bait and switch cheap trick endings in anime I've yet to see and the best way to kill a sale with grounded burning wreakage. Rolling Eyes

You made this comment on the part 1 release and it was as much bollocks then as it is now. In the scene in question spoiler[Oreki finally admits to himself that what he really wants is to spend his life with Chitanda. ] That is a huge development for him from someone who previously would avoid making an effort to interact with people. The fact that spoiler[ he only plays it through in his mind ]doesn't really matter. Chitanda has other issues to deal with before anything can happen anyway.
青白

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Man Hyouka is literally tied for first in the list of my most favorite anime (along with Kara no Kyoukai). My two most favorite scenes of Hyouka were both in the second part. The first was that entire episode of cooking competition. That episode, to me, felt like the pinnacle of enjoying youth. Nothing beats doing some high-stake task with three best friends who are all fun loving, and watching them in the competition made me want to relive my youth again with my best friends.

My second favorite scene was the last scene of the series where Chitanda and Oreki were walking into the sunset. Aside from the astoundingly beautiful background, I really appreciate the story not forcing them into a romance like any other anime might have done. Letting them settle into a more melancholic conclusion where they can just appreciate each others' life situations was the more mature and realistic choice. But damn son I can totally relate to Oreki when he spoiler[nearly blurted out what seemed like a love confession]! A lot of guys in Oreki's shoes would have had the exact same thought, but understandably he wasn't ready for it yet, but it was a beautiful stroke of character development and a reminder to us that we can walk our life one step at a time.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This second half cemented Satoshi as one of my favorite characters in all of anime.

For anyone who isn't going to read the (fan translated) novels that will probably never get adapted - spoiler[yes he and Mayaka are dating and yes it makes me very very happy]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For anyone who isn't going to read the (fan translated) novels that will probably never get adapted - spoiler[yes he and Mayaka are dating and yes it makes me very very happy]

While I do like that and how well the story framed their relationship. I still count myself a spoiler[Oreki/Mayaka] man. I just like their dialogue towards one another a bit more.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Nick. As usual, you do a great job writing about the show. It's one of my favorite series. From the symbolism in the story, the animation, and the music, it really is an outstanding piece of work from KyoAni.

Last edited by Grendel8 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
@killjoy_the
killjoy_the wrote:
This second half cemented Satoshi as one of my favorite characters in all of anime.

Thanks for the information.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's always been amusing to me how polarizing the ending to Hyouka is. I personally find it to be one of the most perfect endings I've ever seen in anime. Good to see that others here saw it like I did and it's not all people crying about a bad ending like I expected.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
It's always been amusing to me how polarizing the ending to Hyouka is. I personally find it to be one of the most perfect endings I've ever seen in anime. Good to see that others here saw it like I did and it's not all people crying about a bad ending like I expected.

I agree with you. I really like the way it was presented. Chitanda explaining so much of her emotions concerning her future, (cherry tree) and barring all for him, so to speak. Orecki finally able to move forward, (bicycle), but thinking of being with her. His progression throughout the series was well portrayed, and it was nice to see them grow together. A very underrated show.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Grendel8 wrote:
A very underrated show.

I wouldn't call Hyouka underrated. A lot of people rate it very highly. Even on MAL which can be a killer for slower paced shows it gets a score of >8/10.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Grendel8 wrote:
A very underrated show.

Huh? This is news to me. Most of the comments about Hyouka from fans that I have seen are positive. Hyouka might not have been well known because it went unlicensed for 5 years, but it is NOT underrated.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Seems I worded incorrectly, doing too many things at the same time, but I have read plenty of opinions that seem to think it was plain or that the mysteries were not good enough, and so on. I have seen plenty of really positive opinions also. I happen to really enjoy this show. I meant underrated because I feel the show doesn't always get the recognition it deserves, probably due in part to the fact that it was unlicensed for years.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
Grendel8 wrote:
Seems I worded incorrectly, doing too many things at the same time, but I have read plenty of opinions that seem to think it was plain or that the mysteries were not good enough, and so on. I have seen plenty of really positive opinions also. I happen to really enjoy this show. I meant underrated because I feel the show doesn't always get the recognition it deserves, probably due in part to the fact that it was unlicensed for years.

Over on the fan written TV Tropes, the four member main cast was described as a four part combination of Sherlock Holmes while I myself described the cast just from watching part 1 as one Holmes, three Watsons... one to drive the detective to solve, one to be arbitrary skeptic and one to obtain clues... all three being the usual sounding board so that not all deductions are internal. You can't have a Holmes without a Watson, it doesn't work for purposes of a story but would anime fans know this?

It's ideas like these that make me wonder how many of these anime fans are also actual mystery fans. I do consider the problems I have with the show as being one part the show's fault, the other the audience.

Why the audience? One of the unusual qualities of a mystery is audience reaction, you are either a passive viewer, taking it all in or an active participant in solving the case. I've read more Holmes than is healthy... anything more canon than Conan isn't a good idea... so I do not take mysteries lightly. I am a problem/puzzle solver by nature and never would think to watch such things frivolously.... unless they are by their own nature frivolous.

I never said the mysteries weren't good enough, I never said they were mysteries in the first place; Yes, I am referencing "Silver Blaze" for a reason as this dog doesn't bark either. I did say they were like deconstructions in every part from Refusing the Call to the Summation, a simulation and thoughtful analysis of the real thing but never the thing itself.

I don't use either term overrated or underrated as that's just the Internet's way of not hurting anyone's feelings... "We all agree work A is great/awful but my own opinion is... different"... but I do feel Hyouka is more pretty picture than work of substance. As for pretty pictures, it's harder to list which Kyoto Animation shows don't count. They Key Adaptations because you don't like the aesthetic? Lucky Star and Nichijou because they are unashamedly cartoons? Free! because you don't like man service? K-On.. because K-On?

The first series of theirs I watched was Haruhi Suzumiya season 1 about ten years ago today and I still feel it compares very well and exceeds every show still. Why? Because the art was there as a service to the story, not as a point onto itself. Hyouka remains stuck in neutral in comparison.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
My problem with the ending wasn't really the episodes fault. I would have been happy with it if it were second or third to last, but for it to end on such a downer just as Oreki was starting to show some ambition left me feeling a little numb about the experience. I felt that way when watching it fan subbed all those years ago and still felt that way watching the dub. Like others said, I didn't realize the first time through that it even was the last episode until a few weeks later when another episode didn't show up and I looked for an episode listing. I wanted one more little mystery, one more bonding moment for the club, something, anything, that would make Oreki believe that finally exerting himself wasn't in vain. But it never came. To me the ending was a setback that couldn't be recovered from when it should have been a hurdle to overcome.

If I ever watch this again I'll probably end it with the festival, it was a more satisfying ending for me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac
I just wanted to make clear that it was not my intention to reference any specific person or web site. If I somehow did, then it was by accident. I am unsure, but your post caused me to be "curious".
When I was posting, I was not focusing on my reply, as I was doing work on my computer and posting replies on my phone. I have to admit that it usually is a bad idea as my mind is wandering between too many things at the same time.
I respect other people's views and not everyone is going to think the same way, obviously. I just wanted to make sure that you did not think that I was referring to you in any way. If I somehow did, it was purely coincidental. Thanks for your post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3